barking

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
AnnaCostaire

Re: barking

Post by AnnaCostaire » 06 Jan 2008, 20:21

M and Charlie (JR) sleep on my bed and Kacy (JR) sleeps with daughter. Always had dogs on the bed, even the G/Danes (boy did they keep me warm!!). Wouldnt have it any other way :P :P

Anna and M
I breed miniature horses and am owned by a doodle called M who is the best thing since sliced bread.

grainne

Post by grainne » 07 Jan 2008, 07:41

I am so tired, Louie barked almost non stop from 12-5 and although I tried the techniques everyone has suggested, they werent very effective and towards the early hours of the morning, I was just too tired!

I really dont know what to do- something is clearly distressing him when he hears sounds outside, he is fine during the day (mostly) he NEVER barks at my parents house (a larger detatched house) and I'm getting quite stressed nowm three nights without proper sleep and now work all week...

aghhh

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 07 Jan 2008, 15:53

He's not too warm or too cold is he?

amber

Post by amber » 07 Jan 2008, 16:01

Hi Grainne,
How old is Louie now?
Is he old enough to neuter, its just an idea though, may not help at all.
Linda

BeverleyEYorks

Post by BeverleyEYorks » 07 Jan 2008, 17:34

Hi just a couple of thoughts - is it worth having a word with your neighbour to move his dog to another room of their house so YOU dont have to be disturbed by their dog barking and setting off Louis?

Also when do you feed him? is he turning active and more noisy because he's awake - and you aren't- or would like not to be... (albeit he'd like you to be) because he's bored at night? Might it be worth giving him is main feed late plus a Kong stuffed with hard to get at treats like frozen melted cheese&biscuits or something? Maybe a full stomach will pull down those doggy eyelids?

Finally if he is being disturbed by outside sounds can you put him in the back of the house with a radio or something on loud enough to muffle the street sounds at the front?

grainne

Post by grainne » 07 Jan 2008, 20:20

those are great ideas thank you

I will try the radio, and also feed later. I spoke to a dog trainer today and booked louie into clases and she recomended distracting, give a command and then reward with a kong/treat ball to distract him

Unfortunatly at the front i have the road and at the back the fox...ugh

and in terraced houses it wouldnt matter WHERE next door neighbours dog was, Louie would hear him!

Have thought about castrating him, but wanted to wait til he was fully matured, as he is only 7 months and not humping/showing dominance problems etc

Will let you know 2mrw how i get on!

xxx

amber

Post by amber » 07 Jan 2008, 20:25

Hi Grainne,
He's only young then, i thought he was older.
Its difficult cos when my dogs hear other dogs they always answer back :roll:

grainne

Post by grainne » 07 Jan 2008, 20:28

i know!!

it's just his WHOLE BODY shakes when he barks, it's not like happy barking, it's seriously angry stressed barking.

i just wanna make him stop so i can sleep! I dont mind during the day, i can distract him then, or at least entice him with a game of fetch to take his mind off it, but in the early hours of the morning, I dont have the energy to do much and it is so hard to not just start crying!

sorry, i'm just sleep deprived and emotional

xxx

amber

Post by amber » 07 Jan 2008, 20:50

Yes i can see thats a problem :?
What about giving him some rescue remedy?

Dawn & Mayko

Post by Dawn & Mayko » 07 Jan 2008, 21:24

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I have a 6 month old doodle called Mayko. I've been reading through the forum posts for days, and they have given me total relief!! I'm not alone!!!!!

I love Mayko to bits, but her barking is starting to give me a nervous tick. From everyone's experiences, I just wondered how long it takes for the methods described to start having an effect? I've tried distracting her with a Kong, rewarding her when she shuts up, ignoring her - but have only been trying desparately for about 2 weeks.

She's fabulous, friendly and fluffy - until she starts to bark.

:roll:
Dawn & Mayko

grainne

Post by grainne » 07 Jan 2008, 21:43

amber wrote:Yes i can see thats a problem :?
What about giving him some rescue remedy?
ooo whats this?

is it a magic potion that will render his vocal chords useless???

xxx

Emma

Post by Emma » 07 Jan 2008, 21:51

M and Charlie (JR) sleep on my bed and Kacy (JR) sleeps with daughter. Always had dogs on the bed, even the G/Danes (boy did they keep me warm!!). Wouldnt have it any other way

But what do you do when they stink ( as mine does tonight from rolling in heron poo :roll: ). Ive washed him but he still stinks. You wouldnt want him on your bed stinking.... :?
Amos and Emma

amber

Post by amber » 07 Jan 2008, 21:59

[quote="grainne"][quote="amber"]Yes i can see thats a problem :?
What about giving him some rescue remedy?[/quote]

ooo whats this?

is it a magic potion that will render his vocal chords useless???

xxx[/quote]

Grainne
It may relax him enough to help him sleep longer, what do you think?
Linda

AnnaCostaire

Post by AnnaCostaire » 08 Jan 2008, 09:54

Bach Rescue Remedy is a combination of 'flower' herbs and is really great for anxiety, stress, trauma etc, it has a calming effect. I wouldnt be without my little bottle - for me not the dogs! Put 3 or 4 drops in their water bowls - do watch that it doesnt put them off drinking. In cases of trauma, shock etc you can put a couple of drops direct on to the tongue or even rub it round the base of the ears (not sure why this should work?)
But if you can get a leaflet on Bach Remedies from your chemist or Boots then you may be able to find a 'remedy' specially for your particular dog. Very good and interesting herbal solution to so many problems for humans and animals.

Emma - have to say that inspite of living on a farm the dogs never seem to roll in anything!! They are sometimes wet, but have a special 'blanket' on top of the bed that is fluffy one side and waterproof the other! Also as they are now all 'adult' and bad weather haters, they often refuse to go out last thing if it is raining, preferring to wait until the morning in the hope of dry weather! They will ask to go out during the night if they get desperate, but that rarely happens!

Anna and M
I breed miniature horses and am owned by a doodle called M who is the best thing since sliced bread.

BeverleyEYorks

Post by BeverleyEYorks » 08 Jan 2008, 12:31

Hi was on the site and saw this advertised on the pop ups - dont know if it is any good?

Multivet Dog Bark Control Collars
A harmless Citronella spray collar that conditions your dog to stop nuisance barking, 100% safe and painless for all Dogs, Humans and the Environment.
http://www.surepets.co.uk