Labradoodle Fostering

Please use this section for listing details of any dogs that need rehoming. This area is not for posting details of litters/puppies - any such adverts will be removed.
soapysue

Labradoodle Fostering

Post by soapysue » 24 May 2009, 11:49

This question is not about labradoodle rehoming (I hope) but more about labradoodle fostering....

I am in need of a lung transplant & am just waiting to find out if I am able to make it on to the waiting list.

I have a beautiful labradoodle who has been such a tonic to me since I got her 6 months ago (aged 2) she is a gorgeous dog, has a beautiful nature & makes me laugh out loud daily. Her only one issue is she can be very dubious of strangers (especially men) - she can bark madly at them if they look her in the eye - although if they ignore her she's generally OK (although often even when I explain this people find it hard to ignore her - & she's gorgeous so I can understand that!).

However, if I do get a tranplant it will meant possibly being in hospital for somewhere between 5 & 10 weeks (possibly a bit less or a bit more) & I'm wondering if anyone knows of any organisations or places that could possibly foster her whilst I'm away (but ideally where I could take her first to get her used to the people & place). I do have a partner - but he works full time & ideally I would like to see him if I end up having the needed op - & as the hospital is nearly 2hrs away it may well mean he's only home late at night (& in the first days probably not at all at he will probably stay locally to the hospital).

Although putting her in kennels is an option I know it would make her misrable as she lived in a kennel with no company for her first 2yrs - so although she's fairly used to it she would be SO MUCH happier if she could be somewhere bouncing around & playing with other dogs.

I just wonder if anyone has any ideas?? :?:
Soapysue & Leffe

Image ImageImage

Bubbarooandemmatoo

Re: Labradoodle Fostering

Post by Bubbarooandemmatoo » 24 May 2009, 14:45

Theres a lady I know in Biggin Hill which will look after your dog within her family. She only has 1 dog at a time. The website is called wholetsthedogout.co.uk she charges £20 for any 24 hour period, she may offer discount for a long term stay. There are plenty of these families around and Im sure some in your area. try the search engine ask or google, with "dog sitters" that will def point you in the right direction. So sorry to hear about the impending op, at least if you get this sorted then you can rest up knowing dood is within a family environment and not in kennels. Hope that helps.

Em.x

linny

Post by linny » 24 May 2009, 15:09

Try the Trust , don't know if this situation is beyond their remit but they might be able to help or offer suggestions. They might know someone in your area willing to foster.
Wish I could offer help but I think you are too far from me, I'm in Devon.

soapysue

Post by soapysue » 24 May 2009, 15:36

Thanks both of you - & yes, that's exactly it - I just want to know she's happy & being loved & looked after in order that I can rest easy & take the needed time to sort myself out - rather than getting so stressed over how the dog is that I don't give myself the needed time to do what ever I have to.

Will look in to both of those things - thanks x :)
Soapysue & Leffe

Image ImageImage

Clare

Post by Clare » 24 May 2009, 16:40

Sorry to hear you need an op. There are quite a few websites where people will look after dogs in their homes, I hope you find one near you, without scary men - my doodle is quite scared of men too!

Clare

Clare and Pebbles

soapysue

Post by soapysue » 24 May 2009, 17:47

Maybe we have the rarer type of dog - the Lesbi-doodle!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Soapysue & Leffe

Image ImageImage

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 24 May 2009, 21:57

Hi SoapySue
First of all I hope you get accepted onto the transplant list - good luck.
Next I hope you find someone to look after your dood - have sent you a pm
Pauline

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 24 May 2009, 22:01

Hi Sue

Don't despair - you are being very sensible - making preparations for Leffe in case. I hope, for your sake, it will be a case of sooner rather than later for the op.

Do contact Labradoodle Trust. If you are prepared to make a donation to the Trust, as well as supply food, vet costs etc for Leffe, perhaps they could use one of their lovely fosterers to look after her. It's certainly a deserving cause.

Otherwise why not ask at your local vets and try any local rescue centres near you. Perhaps they might have someone they know who might be able to look after her for a bit for payment.

Meanwhile I will work on Hubbie but think it might be a little bit of a lost cause :cry: even for such a gorgeous girl like Leffe. Whilst I know Leffe would have a great time having a seaside holiday with Jack and Becky I think it might tip him into a full scale breakdown having three bouncy doodles :lol: Perhaps Linny and I could share her as we live fairly close to each other :lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

soapysue

Post by soapysue » 25 May 2009, 08:58

Ha ha!! Mrs Admin - stop working on your husband right away!! I will not be responsible for your divorce!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really wasn't asking in order that someone would say "I'll have her" but more for some of the answers I've got - esp. the idea about speaking to the Labradoodle Trust & seeing if maybe one of their Fosterers would be able to look after her - as yes of course I would supply food, vets fees (she is also insured) & make a donation - that sounds like a top idea & I will get on to it (although am going to wait until I know for sure I have made the transplant list first as I am ridiculously superstitious about these things!!) :roll:

Thanks guys....thats given me some food for thought. :)
Soapysue & Leffe

Image ImageImage

Debbie&Molly

Post by Debbie&Molly » 26 May 2009, 14:16

Hi Soapysue, I have sent you a pm x Debbie

Daisee

Post by Daisee » 27 May 2009, 17:46

Good luck with the op,Im sure it will all go well,My cousin had a heart and lung transplant 10 years ago and is in fabulous health now.
Re fostering as others have said speak to Rescue, Im certain they will help you by finding a suitable fosterer for the period in which you are unable to have her at home , for way less than anywhere else will cost too.

scoper

Post by scoper » 13 Aug 2009, 18:35

Hi Sue

we're also in chelmsford (and I'm also called sue!) and have a lovely doodle called jack (one of susanan's pups) he's now 2 and would love to help out if we can?

PM me if you feel inclined. I don't work so am at home most of the time!

Good luck anyway!