Home needed for my lovely 3 yo cream labradoodle

Please use this section for listing details of any dogs that need rehoming. This area is not for posting details of litters/puppies - any such adverts will be removed.
kerriem

Home needed for my lovely 3 yo cream labradoodle

Post by kerriem » 27 Dec 2012, 23:17

This decision is absolutely breaking my heart, but I can't see any other way round it; I have to find a home for my nearly 3yo doodle Poppy :( I am starting my teacher training soon and was planning on doing it full time, but personal circumstances now mean I will have t do this full time and will be out of the house for up to ten hours some days. This is not fair on Poppy as she is used to me being about most of the time and is the type of dog who needs to be around people.

Poppy is a wonderful, fun dog who loves other dogs and children. She is a playful, energetic dog that needs plenty of exercise. She is fully house trained, never destructive in the house and knows basic commands. She has a fleecy coat, which is very very low shedding, but would not suit an allergy sufferer as my friend is allergic to her. She is a fairly large doodle, tall slim built. She has been spade so no breeding homes. I feel that Poppy should go to a home where there will be someone about alot ie. doesn't work or works part time. I would love it if she could go to a home where there is another dog or children, or both.

I feel that Poppy needs a home with experienced owners or owners will to invest in further training. I took her on at 7 months old, she was an unsold puppy from a breeder and lived in a kennel alone until then. I have spent a lot of time training her and she is coming along nicely. She just has one or two quirks: she is terrible with cats; she can be nervous around men but once familiar with them she is fine; she also lacks social skills with dogs we see on walks, she tends to get over excited and run at them full pelt, this usually results in the dog being bowled over and hurt or poppy being attacked. It's not an aggressive tendency in any way, it's just her lacking social skills due to her start in life and being over excited. This is why I say she could do with further training. She also barks a lot if left in the garden, but can be left in the house for up to 6 hours or so.

She really is a very special girl with a big heart and deserves the best home possible, I am in no rush to rehome her and plan to wait until the right home comes. She is very well bred, from screened parents and I have her records. I live in Coventry. If you have any further questions please pm me or if you want photos. Please understand that I want to ensure she gets the best possible home though so will ask lots of questions and I would want to visit the home where she would be living to check suitability. I would also like any potential owners to come for a walk so they can experience her over ecxitedness first hand. Thanks

Mica1971

Re: Home needed for my lovely 3 yo cream labradoodle

Post by Mica1971 » 28 Dec 2012, 00:07

So sorry you find yourself in this situation, have you thought about contacting the labradoodle trust to rehome her? They have a network of fosterers and waiting lists for people looking to rehome a doodle x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 28 Dec 2012, 00:23

What an awful situation for you, it mus be heartbreaking to have to face this. Is there no way you could have a dogwalker or friend come in and walk her during the day?

If you feel that rehoming is the only option, I would second the suggestion of contacting the Trust, they are very good at finding the right home for dogs. If you are happy to keep her until the right home comes along that would save on fostering, although she might need to go to a fosterer for a couple of weeks for assessment.

Speak to Barb, she usually has people waiting to adopt appropriate dogs, it will help a lot that Poppy is good with children.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

kerriem

Post by kerriem » 28 Dec 2012, 00:29

She is absolutely great with children, only dog I've ever put 100% trust in with my 6 year old daughter. She's got such a good soul. I did think about the labradoodle trust, but to be honest I'm not keen on the idea of her going to a foster home first, I worry that with her background this would unsettle her. Plus I would prefer to choose the home myself as I feel I've put so much work into training her and I know her best. I'm not in a rush, I have a fair while to find her the perfect home. Just so sad about it but I know it's right for her and she deserves the best x

Ben

Post by Ben » 28 Dec 2012, 00:52

I'm going to play devils advocate.... Your teacher training will run from sept to july, after that you will have 6 weeks holiday before hopefully securing an nqt placement. In your teacher training placement, yes it will be hard work, but you will still have your holidays as per university/schools.

Your dog is 3yr old and could happily live to 12yr old+, so for the sake of 1yrs hard graft and inconvenience is it not worth getting a dog walker or a neighbour to let her out over the 5-7 week terms??

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 28 Dec 2012, 03:13

I was just going to suggest the same, Ben. There are people who will mind your dog in their own home while u are out. Just something u could take into account. xx

kerriem

Post by kerriem » 28 Dec 2012, 10:15

I honestly have considered every avenue, this is not something I have taken lightly. Like I said I was planning on studying part time then working part time, but after my relationship has broken down I will now have to do it full time and then find a full time job. I am now a single mum and a student so there is no way I can afford a dog walker and believe me I have asked lots of people. Some nights I'm not going to be home until 7pm so it is unlikely she will get walked weekdays and I feel poppy will suffer as a result of this. If I wasn't a single mum to a young child there may be an alternative, I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, as its not just my teacher training year it's when I'm working after that. Breaks my heart but honestly feel like its in her best interests. Thank you for your suggestions though

luggage16

Post by luggage16 » 28 Dec 2012, 12:11

Have you thought about seeing if anyone local would be interested in dog sharing? There might be someone local who would love a dog but cant afford the full costs who would be willing to look after her through the day for you? Might be worth putting a poster up at your local vets etc and seeing if anyone would be willing to help. It does seem such a shame. My mum teaches and is generally home by 4.30-5.00ish but she does bring work home with her. So tricky though and I can totally see why you need to consider rehoming her!

kerriem

Post by kerriem » 28 Dec 2012, 12:27

No my mind is made 100% that rehoming her is the best thing for me and her, I have been thinking about this a long while. I can't give her the home she needs as I am already struggling to cope; I have come out of my relationship breakdown as a single mum with 2 dogs (one of which my mum is going to look after day times, but she does not feel she can have both as she's already got 3 dogs and poppy is very energetic) I also have horses (luckily they are at my mums farm so again she will help me out). Poppy is the only part of my life I am struggling to fit in, my other dog is much less energetic and needy of affection. I have been through so much lately and have been struggling to cope. I need to focus on being a parent and on my career. Ultimately she is not getting the attention or exercise she needs and will soon be getting less, I do not want her to suffer because of this. I really have considered all my options and feel permanent rehoming best x

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 28 Dec 2012, 16:28

Am so sorry life can be cruel sometimes.. I hope you find the right solution for you and your Doodle xxx
ImageImage

kerriem

Post by kerriem » 28 Dec 2012, 16:33

Thank you for your kind words, is such a hard time and I am feeling incredibly guilty about this but I know it's for the best x

Bid

Post by Bid » 28 Dec 2012, 16:58

Heartbreaking for you :(
Have you been in touch with this poster? http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... 11&t=25697
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

kerriem

Post by kerriem » 28 Dec 2012, 17:20

Yes I have dropped him a message :)

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 31 Dec 2012, 17:09

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for you having to make that decision, and that we are all good listeners and are here to support you through this.. :mrgreen:
I am a Teaching Assistant and know that you will have to commit yourself 100% to getting your NQT and wish you good luck with your training!
Please keep us updated
Hugs
Daise xxx