including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 12:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Goldendoodle looking for new home
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 17:58 

This lovely looking Goldendoodle was posted on my facebook page. You'll find all the information here - http://www.wagtails-rescue.co.uk/rehomi ... 020114.php

Post subject: Re: Goldendoodle looking for new home
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 21:32 

So sad, seven months old and having to look for a new home... Hope she finds a loving family soon -
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 23:14 

Poor girl, hope she finds a lovely human to call her own. :cry:

It always surprises me that at such a young age she has 'issues', for want of a better word. I may have just been very lucky but even with most of my dogs (as an adult) being rescues they have never had specific things like 'doesn't like being brushed'. My little mongrel was a screamer, if you were even near her feet with yours she would scream and with this 'nervy woosy' personality she had to be treated with kid gloves. After a walk I could dry her off with the towel but not hold her leg and hang on to it, she would have yelped and so I adjusted naturally. My great dane and my current doodle you could hang upside down if you wanted and they would allow it without complaint. I wonder in most cases is it an 'issue' with the dog or with how they are being handled. If that sounds really judgey it is not meant to at all, I am genuinely interested if this is the case perhaps with the 'issues' I read about.

My doodle was obviously too much for his last owner that he ended up with the sspca, asides from his cloth ears I feel like we have won a watch. He has a BIG personality but his good points heavily outweigh his more trying ones!

Have any of you, as experienced dog people come across dogs descibed as having 'issues' only to find they are perfectly within the normal limits. I am of course meaning little issues like I have mentioned not a frothing beast who has been damaged beyond repair.

I am interested in other peoples experiences.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 23:42 

I remember reading a couple of years ago a thread about doodles maybe not being for the faint-hearted, others will be probably remember too. I certainly think that doodles in general are cannier than lots of other breeds and people who've had other dogs before comment on doodles being "different".

The larger doodles (21" plus) can be a force to be reckoned with. Boisterous behaviour in smaller dogs can be difficult to handle, with a bigger dog it can be extremely challenging and more noticeable in public. Certainly the standards seem to take a long time to mature and most people won't know to take this into account, they are described as gentle, sociable, loving and easy going. Not boisterous, over-friendly, athletic, love monsters.

Ultimately, some dogs are not given the time to mature and are rehomed because owners do not feel things will improve. From my previous posts you will see I was nearly one of them. Thank goodness my husband, family and breeder convinced me otherwise :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 00:08 

DiSet I can see why they wouldn't be for the faint hearted and also maybe not a great first dog unless you get lucky!

I can see why my Jack would be too much for some people. He bounces all 4 feet off the ground when he is on lead and meets people or dogs (still working on this after almost 3 yrs) He is a terrible humper of humans, He is like an amusing toddler always touching things, looking to see what mischief he can get up to and generally likes exercising his sense of humour. When visiting my friend he disappeared into her room and came out with her bra in his mouth proud as punch!!

However he is extremely loving, very tolerant of children, puppies, being manhandled for drying, meds, examiations etc. He never complains. He has never been destructive. We house swap for holidays and we can go out shopping or for a meal for a few hours and he has never put a paw wrong.

As I said before, for me, his many positives far outweigh his slightly less attractive points!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 17:36 

Yes minkersmum there are lots of positives now and they outweigh the negatives :) I'd say Kip's positives are that he doesn't bark unless necessary, hasn't chewed anything he shouldn't, doesn't counter surf, keeps himself very clean, and can be left alone for a few hours without us worrying.

Your Jack sounds to be a lovely dog :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 17:43 

She is a smashing looking girl - she should find a home quickly (fingers crossed)