including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 03:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 Doodles on preloved looking for new homes!
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 20:17 

Just looked through the labradoodles on Preloved and counted 6 or 7 looking for new homes - lots of doodle pup litters yes expect those but I do find it incomprehensible how many people are advertising to rehome their dogs. I think there are 4 under 10 months and a couple of adult ones approx 3 years of age.

I find it really hard to comprehend & yes I am concerned how thoroughly buyers of these dogs are checked. I really wish there were stricter rules governing the rehoming of all breeds.

I take it there is nothing we can do to eliminate rehoming on these sites - it is a good job Ebay bans the sale of livestock!
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject: Re: 6 Doodles on preloved looking for new homes!
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 20:52 

It is so sad......I too was looking this morning and was shocked at the number of young adult dogs for re-homing :( :(
I remember when I first starting looking for a labradoodle, only 6 years ago - and they were like gold - hard to find but now it seems as if the world and his wife are breeding these lovely creatures and the market is swamped.
It makes you think have they become a victim of their own 'cuteness'??
It angers me to think these young adults being advertised are only on there because their 'owners' didn't fully understand that a dog is for life :( :(

I appreciate circumstances can and do change - myself being made redundant last year, but it would have to be a really drastic reason (and even then I don't think I could) for me to even think about re-homing my doodles.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 21:01 

kobi&jazz wrote:
It is so sad.....
It makes you think have they become a victim of their own 'cuteness'??
It angers me to think these young adults being advertised are only on there because their 'owners' didn't fully understand that a dog is for life :( :(

I appreciate circumstances can and do change - myself being made redundant last year, but it would have to be a really drastic reason (and even then I don't think I could) for me to even think about re-homing my doodles.

Well said!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 21:12 

Is anyone a member? One of them is a 6 month female pup not neutered... she needs to be warned what might happen to her.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 23:41 

Liz, I just did a 'report this advert' with a message to warn the owner that if they care about the dog's future welfare they should have her spayed first. My worry is that you can never tell if these adverts are for real!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 23:53 

Poor wee girl. If she was closer I'd go save her. Why do people not think. :(
All dogs should be neutered in my opinion unless they are owned by ethical breeders who are regulated.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 00:07 

Whilst it makes my blood boil to think of the poor dogs who are taken on because they're cute and 'of the moment' then rejected, we do have to remember that some people have real problems. I know I say that I could never 'get rid' of my little guy, but I guess if you have real problems providing for your children, you have to take drastic measures. (Yes, I know they shouldn't have taken on a dog in the first place :cry: )

Good breeders always say if you have problems they will take their puppies back - but so many people breed puppies because they can.... Perhaps this will make people think twice before they offer their dog as a stud, or breed from their bitch. I always said that there were enough labradoodle puppies out there (even before we discovered our lad wasn't good breeding material).

Hope they all find good, loving homes - but knowing human nature, my heart breaks for every one of them....

Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 00:12 

Thanks Estelle, I didn't notice that was an option.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 13:59 

Phoebe11 wrote:
I really wish there were stricter rules governing the rehoming of all breeds.

I take it there is nothing we can do to eliminate rehoming on these sites - it is a good job Ebay bans the sale of livestock!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I totally agree with you 100 % ......If the government does put in place compulsory chipping for dogs (2015 I think and why does it take so long? ) then it would be the ideal time to revise and ban all advertising for animals of any kind on these type of websites....should be totally clamped down on and controlled.

Licences put in place for any type of animal ownership, breeding or selling would also be a good idea and make it more difficult to do so. All this would reduce the numbers in rescue places. Hence all the Staffies and Staffie crosses around at the moment. I know you'll never stop it completely but we should not be able to make a quick buck on the back of animals and the likes of the police/RSPCA should be given more power to stop it.

ImageImage

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 15:05 

I totally agree with the comments on these sites, if you want to re-home your dog it should be done through proper channels. Before we got Tia we looked seriously at a re-homing, but all we could find locally were staffies and staffy crosses. Have learned since about the Labradoodle Trust etc, but advertising your dog like it is an object on pre-loved is horrible and so open to abuse.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 17:12 

I found my Roxy through an advertisement on Gumtree & she's not neutered, so I suppose her previous owner and I are both bad people by all your standards?
Have you considered that advertising on sites such as these enables people to make contact with a wider number of people than they might personally know, thereby enabling them to find a better home for their pet? The person I got Roxy from said that they had already refused several potential owners as they wanted a the best home they could get for her, and why should I disbelieve them? Why all the outrage at people trying to find their dog a new home? Sometimes we have to make hard decisions in life, and being judged harshly by others who don't know the full circumstances appears to be the price. I sincerely hope that none of you ever find yourselves in similar circumstances.

As for neutering, I wouldn't subject any animal to a major operation that wasn't absolutely necessary and I don't feel I need to apologise for that. I believe that others are entitled to their own opinions on the subject but not if it means that my choice is banned.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 18:16 

Bigbelliedbitingbear wrote:
I found my Roxy through an advertisement on Gumtree & she's not neutered, so I suppose her previous owner and I are both bad people by all your standards?

Hi Bigbelliebitingbear, No not at all. We are not judging you or the seller. Your Roxy was one lucky dog in finding you :) . It's the system that's the problem :( . It's a known fact that Gumtree is absolutely ridden with criminal activity :twisted: . Dogs get purchased this way for all sorts of illegal fighting and/or multi breeding from them and then discard/ill treat them and goodness knows what else that I don't know about :? .

This country is running alive with dogs looking for homes :( , if controls were in place as to how you could breed, sell or buy a dog it would help stop the cruelty that dogs suffer and reduce breeding therefore reduce dogs looking for homes....it would stop people having a dog on a whim. If you don't believe me just look at how many dog rescue's there are on the web, at least two for every breed you can think of let alone the independent ones. That doesn't include the RSPCA/DOGS TRUST etc. I myself have at least five independent one's within a 10 mile drive of my house that I know of. Why ? because it's out of control :( .

ImageImage

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 18:18 

It's not outrage - it's sadness that sometimes people don't think carefully or do any research at all and get a dog and then can't cope and sell it again - in four months, as is the case with the pup.

It's also not outrage about the dogs not being neutered - that is of course fine. It's fear for the dogs - because many unscrupulous people are getting dogs from Gumtree etc. (looking out for the 'unneutered') and using them to breed in puppy farms.

Your dog was lucky to get a loving home.

The contact with Gumtree would not be to report the ad for it being an unneutered dog, but to suggest to the owner that they don't mention the status of that particular thing, and to check carefully the people who answer the ad.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 18:48 

Bigbelliedbitingbear wrote:
Have you considered that advertising on sites such as these enables people to make contact with a wider number of people than they might personally know, thereby enabling them to find a better home for their pet? The person I got Roxy from said that they had already refused several potential owners as they wanted a the best home they could get for her, and why should I disbelieve them? Why all the outrage at people trying to find their dog a new home? Sometimes we have to make hard decisions in life, and being judged harshly by others who don't know the full circumstances appears to be the price. I sincerely hope that none of you ever find yourselves in similar circumstances.

Your not a bad person at all for rescuing a dog from these
sites I have done the same myself, once for my nan a free un neutered dog which got a great home with them. I think the critisism is the owners advertising un neutered/spayed dogs for free etc. It breaks my heart as im going to lose my dog to cancer unwillingly but gave my dog everything but these people just get a dog and realise its not suitable and rehome. Most of the time people say they dont have time for the dog but in most
cases it boils down to lack of finances etc. We had our boy neutered as he was chasing females and not coming back. I have respect for someone offering a good home to these unwanted dogs but sometimes they get into the wrong hands and this is where the problem liesxx
As for neutering, I woul dn't subject any animal to a major operation that wasn't absolutely necessary and I don't feel I need to apologise for that. I believe that others are entitled to their own opinions on the subject but not if it means that my choice is banned.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac24 ... 5647_o.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 19:50 

I agree that it's not sensible to advertise an un spayed dog, but only because I've learned a lot since having Rig. They are probably just naive. I know that doesn't help the poor dog. Prior to having Rig I wouldn't have known and didn't, we got him through preloved. He was well cared for and is brilliant.

Whenever we're in the position of getting another dog, I'd like to rehome a doodle, and I would look on preloved.

I don't understand how anyone could part with their dog but stuff happens I suppose.