My old boy is all achey :(

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Bid

My old boy is all achey :(

Post by Bid » 24 Apr 2010, 13:03

Poor old Barney is having a few problems atm :( . His new bed is making his allergies bad - I got it because he took to sleeping on the sofa so he could stretch out and then he couldn't get on the sofa, so I can't go back to his old bed. Then he had trouble walking for a couple of days, and the final thing was he started to flop over to one side and bang his head on the floor really hard :o .

I took him to the vet yesterday, and we think they are all linked together. He had steroids for his skin, and his weight really balloooned up quickly. This made his hips ache a lot, so he walked with his head down taking the strain on his front legs, and now is right elbow is swollen and inflamed :( . When he tries to lie down, the elbow gives way and he flops. The good news is that there are no signs of a stroke, and no sign of balance problems. He is on a course of anti-inflammatories for a week.

On his birthday he was happy, looking good, slim and active. It's scary how just 2 weeks later he is overweight, scabby with bald patches, has a dull coat, and limps really badly - he's just gone downhill really quickly :( . I'm starting his uphill climb with a tin of mackeral for lunch, with a tablet hidden in it :wink:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Lola

Re: My old boy is all achey :(

Post by Lola » 24 Apr 2010, 13:08

Poor little bugger :( , hope he feels better soon :)

PAul

Parker

Post by Parker » 24 Apr 2010, 13:16

Bless his socks. :( What a shame his allergies are triggering so much more.

Lots of happy healing vibes from us and I hope he is feeling better soon.
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 24 Apr 2010, 13:19

Oh poor Barney.. I do hope the meds kick in quickly and he's back to his old self soon :cry:

KateW

Post by KateW » 24 Apr 2010, 13:45

It is really sad to see your dog ageing and suffering all these problems. Do hope Barney makes a quick return to better health with the meds; good news that he hasn't had a stroke.

About the bed problem, Bid; do you think a good quality lilo would give him the support he needs and reduce the risk of allergies ?

Katherine
ImageImage

Dillondood

Post by Dillondood » 24 Apr 2010, 14:16

Sorry to hear that Barney is still suffering :cry:

As Katherine suggested, do you think a strong blow up bed might help him? The alergies must be driving him crazy, I suppose it is like having excema, I do so he can get some relief, poor fella.

Do Pops and Daze just leave him to his own devices, and give him some peace? Thank goodness he does not have my 2 to contend with :roll:

A virtual Barney hug on route xxx
Dillon, Darcy & Ruth

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 24 Apr 2010, 14:28

Poor Barney, it's awful for him, lets hope his anti - inflammatories kick in quickly and he's feeling better soon.

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 24 Apr 2010, 14:45

Poor Barney, it.s so sad when they are hurting. Our last dog had bad arthritis and we had years of trying to get her to sleep on soft surfaces. We slept on a mattress on the floor so she could get on the bed!
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

charlieboy

Post by charlieboy » 24 Apr 2010, 16:25

Poor Barney, i hope his meds make him feel more comfortable. Big hugs.

watto

Post by watto » 24 Apr 2010, 16:33

Oh poor Barney, he must be feeling miserable :( . And poor you too Bid, it must be horrible to see him suffering.

Hope he improves quickly.

Jo

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 24 Apr 2010, 16:49

Poor Barney and you its sad to see them in pain.Big Hug Freda

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 24 Apr 2010, 20:02

Poor Barney - although I thought you were talking about Pete and wondered why a Pilates teacher was achey!!! :lol: :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 24 Apr 2010, 20:27

Poor Barney, I sympathise totally. A good idea I think in the good quality air bed though - easy to wipe down, he can stretch out and have it all to himself. Worth a try, it'd be one less thing to worry the poor boy and you.

Hugs attached in abundance xx

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

LynneL

Post by LynneL » 24 Apr 2010, 21:59

Oh Bid i'm so sorry that Barney is having such a rough time right now. :( I hope your TLC and Mackrell help perk him up. Are the girls aware that he is under the weather do you think?

ralph'smum

Post by ralph'smum » 24 Apr 2010, 22:20

Sorry to hear Barney boy is under the weather Bid
Hope he picks up soon and can get comfy again
sending positive vibes
and hugs to you x
Tracey & Ralph