Jeff and Little Ted get a new playmate

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
HILLY

Jeff and Little Ted get a new playmate

Post by HILLY » 16 Jul 2010, 19:35

Some of you on here will be aware that I have been waiting anxiously for the birth of my first grandchild. I am thrilled to announce that Grandson Jack was born on Wednesday 14th at 7.15am weighing a healthy 8lbs 4ozs. He is beautiful and such a gent for waiting until after the New Forest Show on Saturday so that he did not spoil my long awaited day out. Many people on here have asked how to introduce a new puppy etc. Any suggestions how we introduce a tiny little boy to two huge, bouncy Labradoodles. This also means that there will not be a third Doodle in this house because I threatened to buy a Doodle every year until one of my daughters graced me with a grandchild. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HILLY, JEFF AND LITTLE TED

mandilaing

Re: Jeff and Little Ted get a new playmate

Post by mandilaing » 16 Jul 2010, 19:41

Congratulations! Don't have any advice on introducing babies to dogs, and vice versa, but will be interested to hear if others do because.... we also recently welcomed our first grandchild - a little boy called Gaius, now 5 weeks old.
Mandi and Morello

Image Image

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 16 Jul 2010, 19:41

Aawwwww HUGE congratulations :D Jack is GORGEOUS :P Lucky you!!!!!!! xxxxx
Ei, Molly and Saffie

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 16 Jul 2010, 20:00

Just beautiful. Congratulations to you all. Now the fun begins!!
I've read that dogs are very intelligent when it comes to babies, they're usually quite gently but just a bit unsure.
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 16 Jul 2010, 20:09

Congratulations Hilli - he's a little sweetie !!

Apparently the first lesson to the dogs is that Jack is the pack leader and they must bow down to him - not quite sure how one achieves this but i remember one of my friends telling me this when she had her baby..................

I'm sure they'll be very gentle with him !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 16 Jul 2010, 20:24

Congratulations - Jack is lovely -a grandchild is awesome and very magical!
Our grandson is now 19 months old and has grown up with both Colin & Dexter.
They love him to pieces but that does involve snogging him at every given instance!
We're teaching Noah to tell them to go away.

Noah having a kiss with Koda!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 16 Jul 2010, 20:29

Congratulations.

Nearly 40 years ago I had my Daughter at home. At the time we had a spaniel of about 9 years old and we had had him for 6. He was a lunatic, friends still remember his antics. Minutes after my Daughter was born the midwife ask my OH to bring the dog in. He had a good old sniff and when he seemed to lose interested off he went. For the next three years until he died he was my Daughter's constant companion. We have beautiful 'photos of him helping her to paint, and just being with her. He did warn her when she took liberties. She has always loved dogs and has got three herself.

Let's hope Jack will be a big dog lover too.

madaboutdoodles

Post by madaboutdoodles » 16 Jul 2010, 21:06

:D Congratulations on your wonderful new grandson, he is absolutely adorable
Trish

www.madaboutdoodles.com

Anne Wozniak

Post by Anne Wozniak » 16 Jul 2010, 21:47

oh what lovely news, you are so very lucky and Jack is gorgeous :D
Anne x

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 16 Jul 2010, 21:47

Beautiful!!! :D
ImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Jul 2010, 21:54

At last! You took your time Jack, but now you're here you're a very handsome little chap! Congratulations Hilly - looking forward to lots of pics of Jack as he grows up with Jeff & Little Ted :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

linny

Post by linny » 16 Jul 2010, 23:22

What lovely news :D :D Congratulations on becoming a Grandma Hilly, welcome to the club :lol:
Welcome to the world little Jack :) :) Wishing you the happiest and healthiest life

I'm sure the dogs will be fine...they seem to sense that the baby "belongs" to the family.
We always show our dogs the new grandchild and the dogs without exception have all been excellent.
Our latest Granddaughter Lola just loves the dogs and they love her.
I'm sure it will be the same for Jack.

KateW

Post by KateW » 16 Jul 2010, 23:46

Jack is a gorgeous baby; many congratulations,Hilly :D

I think you will get a fairly clear idea of Jeff and Little Ted's reaction when they meet Jack. The usual advice is to allow them a brief sniff but not to encourage too much interest and of course no dog should ever be left alone with a baby.....Some normally well behaved dogs can be challenged by nappies and other baby smells.

When I was born my parents had two dogs, a cocker spaniel and a labrador. In those long ago days when babies in prams were left outside small shops, the dogs were left in charge of me. They are part of my earliest memories and I had some very happy times with them and my grandparents dogs as I am sure Jack will with your boys.....

Katherine
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 16 Jul 2010, 23:49

mandilaing wrote:Congratulations! Don't have any advice on introducing babies to dogs, and vice versa, but will be interested to hear if others do because.... we also recently welcomed our first grandchild - a little boy called Gaius, now 5 weeks old.
And many congratulations to you as well, Mandi :D :D

Katherine
ImageImage

jessie

Post by jessie » 16 Jul 2010, 23:56

Oh Hilary - Many many congratulations - what a gorgeous little boy! And I love the name Jack which is what I had planned to call my firstborn until Keith said no he has an Uncle named Jack! I am certain that Both Big Jeff and Little Ted will love Baby Jack and they will become lifelong buddies! Big Hugs and Licks from Jessie - Lelsey & Keith xxx