Love my Doodle .....

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
stuartolds

Love my Doodle .....

Post by stuartolds » 02 Oct 2012, 18:17

My friends on Facebook wouldn't understand this, so I thought I'd post it here .....

I love my Daisy Doodle so much! Obviously, I love all my other animal companions too, but I really, really love that scruffy Doodle dog! She's so happy and content that she also helps me to forget all my troubles and woes too. Ain't I lucky?
Image Image

Liz!

Re: Love my Doodle .....

Post by Liz! » 02 Oct 2012, 18:20

Yes. I think we all are - there is just something about a doodle. I picked Lola up just earlier and she cuddled me. A real cuddle, a paw curled over my arm and her head pressed in to me!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

stuartolds

Post by stuartolds » 02 Oct 2012, 18:26

Daisy does the same. This afternoon was the first time she stayed on the sofa for the whole afternoon nap too, without wriggling, or getting up and down constantly :mrgreen:

She's so good-natured that yesterday evening she even wrapped her paws around my neck and licked me whilst I danced madly around the lounge to some very loud Celtic Oi Punk (with a 3-legged Yorkie yapping excitedly around my ankles)
Image Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 02 Oct 2012, 18:29

LOL! We went down to the coast to an some old friends' 30th wedding anniversary on Saturday - we stayed in a B&B, and the party was a dance with a live band. She danced on her hind legs on the dance floor, submitted to love form everyone, still did her service dog duties, and didn't turn a hair at being at a dance all night. Then she woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me my blood sugar was low. They are MARVELS!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

stuartolds

Post by stuartolds » 02 Oct 2012, 18:33

Liz! wrote:Then she woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me my blood sugar was low
As a matter of interest, how do you know if a dog is suitable for medic alert?
Image Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 02 Oct 2012, 18:47

I think most dogs would be if they are very attached to you as their owner, if they are bright, calm and responsive to treat-based reward training.

TBH, I wouldn't, now I know more about them, have chosen a doodle - they are SO bouncy, but Lola is an Aussie which is a bit calmer, usually. i didn't take her to puppy training though till she was 9 months old, i just thought she'd be too distracted. She calmed right down about then and was brilliant.

It was easy to train her to do stuff - sit, stand, etc she learned all at once in about a week - what was hard was getting her to concentrate when anything else was going on at all, and to return always to me.

The medical training was easy!

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 02 Oct 2012, 18:57

Liz just out of interest, how does Lola know when your blood sugars are low?
Daise xx

stuartolds

Post by stuartolds » 02 Oct 2012, 18:58

Daisy is also part Australian, and very calm for her age. I don't need a medic alert dog myself, but considering she's only been with me just over 4 months, I did notice that she is very in-tune with the ups and downs of my pain (long story).

Speaking of my miscellaneous companions, here's a blurry pic (taken through a window) of 3 dogs and a parrot waiting patiently for me

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 9a523be0c6

and I love this one of her giving me an enthusiastic hug

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 67dbe1436d
Image Image

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 02 Oct 2012, 19:03

Love the piccies, especially the enormously suffocating hug one :lol:
Very cute!
x

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 02 Oct 2012, 19:24

here here you cant beat a doodle hug. I have felt rotten today (heart burn) and Asha has not left my side, and keeps looking at me as to say ok mum I'M HERE

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 02 Oct 2012, 20:16

Stuart, one of the dogs trained by Medical alert Dogs is used for pain. Its owner had an accident and has periods of terrible pain for which he needs morphine. If he gets an attack he is hospitalised for extended periods. The dog tells him he is GOING to have an attack (amazing) and if he takes morphine in advance he doesn't need to go in hospital and can manage with much less morphine.

Lola tells by smell.

stuartolds

Post by stuartolds » 02 Oct 2012, 20:27

That's pretty similar to my pain / medication situation, but I have 24/7 transdermal patches, so I don't really end up in hospital (very often!). I hate going to hospital, cos then I have to ask someone to come and pet-sit, which I don't like doing (not to mention that I miss them all when I do go to hospital!)
Image Image

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 02 Oct 2012, 21:03

yep i feel very lucky to have my doodle too :P
she loves giving cuddles - especially in the morning where she stands next to me on the bed and then falls sideways onto me :lol: not very subtle :lol:
my husband on the other hand is perhaps not so lucky because the past two weeks (monday nights) she has eaten his share of the pizza :shock: without anyone hearing or noticing :shock: :shock: she has that one down to an art !
Dawn & Luna x

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 02 Oct 2012, 23:23

My Brother was amazed at Asha because he was staying with us for a week and Asha jumped on the bed and then layed down and pushed herself with her back against his. I said to him your in a lot of pain in your back, He said how do you know that I said because that is what Asha does with me when Im in a lot of pain. ( I'm on morphine for my pain too ) Asha has given me a new life and my family say that I am also becoming mum again :D :D .

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 02 Oct 2012, 23:29

Aww, what lovely stries.

Fab pictures, Stuart. BOY do you have a posh long name!