too cool for sunday

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
minnie the gdoodle

too cool for sunday

Post by minnie the gdoodle » 10 Sep 2013, 06:00

sunday morning stood in the garden with the wife and moo watching the world go by and we heard a throaty engine noise,not a jet and bigger than a light aircraft what is that sound says the wife ,not sure i think it may be a spitfire sure enough over the tops of the houses a spitfire flies over.we are both waving like loons and the spitty banks and flies over our house upside down.we were treated to a short aerobatic display by probably one of the best british fighters on a warm sunday morning.may seem daft but for 3 minutes it was 1939 and the spitfire was patrolling the skies again.
it makes you proud and a little bit sentimental when you get the chance to see these planes.
it should be obligitory to have under the union jack the words "these colours dont run"

Doodle Dee

Re: too cool for sunday

Post by Doodle Dee » 10 Sep 2013, 06:53

I totally agree - where I used to live our road was the flight path to any even in London- and that drone is a very patriotic noise
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

kimberleyone

Post by kimberleyone » 10 Sep 2013, 07:34

I saw one yesterday as well!! What a wonderful sight even though I didnt get your display and also nearly put the car in a ditch as I was driving at the time!!!! Its Battle of Britain week so there may be more!!!!

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 10 Sep 2013, 10:07

We get most London fly pasts as they leave the capital. See it on TV, run outside and they're overhead. Makes me think of going to air shows with Mum and Dad, sun (always sunny in your childhood), sitting on the car roof to get a better view and getting to use the telescope. Aaahhhh. Memories!

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 10 Sep 2013, 13:49

how fab - i'm really jealous - bet the display was great especially as it was done just for you two !!!
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 Sep 2013, 14:57

Awesome, in the true sense of the word.
Last year we went to Goodwood Revival in Daisy, our 1934 Austin 10. It was a totally fantastic and unforgettable day, even if you're not a massive petrol head, because just about everybody dresses up into 40's 50's and 60's. There were air displays by spitfires, the Vulcan (?), I think there was a Brabizon (not sure) as well, but I'm not well up on my planes. Tons of classic/vintage cars and rare racing cars being thrown around the race track by the likes of Christian Horner, Rowan Atkinson, and even the jaw-droppingly gorgeous Ewan McGregor joined in on the bikes. (There isn't a smiley for me and Ewan!!!!) :lol:
Not a dog friendly day out though; Jasper and Daisy have not met :wink: But so worth it.
Back to the original post;
"never was so much given ....."
Jo and Jasper