Indestructible Daddy Long Legs!

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Masil

Indestructible Daddy Long Legs!

Post by Masil » 15 Sep 2013, 23:59

This is completely unrelated to doodles (apart from the fact that Coco finds them delicious), but just had to share.

I Hate Daddy long legs/crane flies with a passion. I usually get Coco to despatch them when they come into the house, but she has gone fishing so I was on my own. I have just failed to kill one despite the following efforts:
1. Direct hit with a tea towel. Result - DDL didn't even lose a leg.
2. Direct hit with a feather duster. Result - appeared to be dead, but was apparently just bluffing in a devious attempt to be chucked outside where he would make a miraculous recovery. I was taking no chances though, so moved on to:
3. Pick up with kitchen roll, drop down loo and flush. Result - he was still there and even had the nerve to swim merrily around the bowl.
4. Drop large wad of loo roll on top of Ironman DDL and flush. Result - loo roll was gone but he sadly wasn't.

At this point I decided that he deserved to live to fight another day, so I rescued him and released him into the garden. If he dares to come in again though he won't be so lucky!

Liz!!

Re: Indestructible Daddy Long Legs!

Post by Liz!! » 16 Sep 2013, 00:20

That DDL deserved to live, I'm so pleased you let him go!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

molsp

Post by molsp » 16 Sep 2013, 09:17

it was probably the DDL incarnation of Bruce Willis in a die hard film.

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 16 Sep 2013, 09:40

Oh dear, and it's the crane fly season now, isn't it. Seems like for two weeks in September/October you can't turn around without bumping into one :lol: :lol:

Just remember, this too will pass.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

linny

Post by linny » 16 Sep 2013, 09:51

I like them :) ...so i'm pleased you let him go to continue with his very short life.
He's probably putting the word out........Don't mess with mrs ? at number ?? .....she's lethal :lol:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 16 Sep 2013, 15:33

it was probably the DDL incarnation of Bruce Willis in a die hard film.
More likely Arnie... did you not hear him mutter, as you released him, "I'll be back!" :lol:

Anne & Ianto x

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 16 Sep 2013, 16:16

I also like them :) We have two resident house spiders that move around the lounge and the bedroom......they do say it's supposed to be a good thing but not sure why ? Couldn't possibly kill them or anything else as everything deserves a chance and are meant to be here for a reason ....except for flies what are they here for :?:
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 16 Sep 2013, 18:46

Vincento wrote:except for flies what are they here for

Natures bin men :lol:
Their maggots dispose of the dead .....everything has it's purpose as revolting as it is :lol:

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 16 Sep 2013, 20:31

linny wrote:
Vincento wrote:except for flies what are they here for

Natures bin men :lol:
Their maggots dispose of the dead .....everything has it's purpose as revolting as it is :lol:
And even more disgusting, those same maggots render stinky dog poo into something less obnoxious by eating the sugars and compounds responsible for the smell... (which just made this thread dog-relevant!) 8)

Masil

Post by Masil » 16 Sep 2013, 21:08

I feel suitably contrite now so my days as a DLL vigilante are over :lol:
Not so for flies though, or flying ants either. Especially when they get in my shoe and cause me to kick it off with such force that it lands in next door's garden :roll:

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 18 Sep 2013, 13:49

I dont mind daddy long legs ,its wasps i hate ,they kept coming in the van the weekend they are a pain ,in the tent on saturday nite all the other campers were killing moths but john and i couldnt kill them they were not doing any harm.
ImageImage

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 20 Sep 2013, 08:42

Why did you let him live?!?! You're just allowing that resilience to spawn and become all DDLs.... :shock:

Boo Boo goes mad for DDLs, I think he burnt his foot on the hob when he was trying to get at one.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 20 Sep 2013, 09:04

Maggie! Have you not read your Lord of the Rings?? "It was pity that stayed his hand.." and all that? :roll: "Many live that deserve death, many die that deserve life - can you give it to them?" (Or something...) Poor DDLs, no fur, no appealing little faces.... someone has to care - :(
Anne & Ianto x