Off Topic -pug question?

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
jackieholmes19

Off Topic -pug question?

Post by jackieholmes19 » 05 Dec 2013, 22:45

My sister has a pug, that has been having terrible trouble with his breathing. The vet says he has excess mucus, which could be caused by his food :shock: Has anyone ever heard of this? She also asked me to ask you wonderful people if you'd heard of any food that could reduce mucus production?

This all sounds very strange to me... But I'm prepared to be corrected! :lol:
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

tillytubbie

Re: Off Topic -pug question?

Post by tillytubbie » 05 Dec 2013, 22:58

Pugs are brachycephalic and due to breeding do have problems with their breathing. I'm sure if it mucus related, the vet will be able to help. However, I do doubt changing food will help improve breathing, that is down to the genetics and physical appearance :(
Image Image Image

Masil

Post by Masil » 05 Dec 2013, 23:02

Poor pug. I think breathing problems in flat faced dogs are quite common. All the pugs I have met have been real snufflers. I know that dairy products increase mucus production, but I don't know what foods might reduce it. Hope your sister finds something that will help.

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 06 Dec 2013, 15:55

Yes it could be that changing food could decrease the amount of mucus/catarrh produced by the body. Foods which increase mucus production include cow based dairy products, wheat, red meat, eggs, salt and sugar.
Foods/supplements which can help to reduce mucus raw, organic honey, molasses, apple cider vinegar, kelp.
I don't know what diet he is on but it may be worth your friend checking the ingredients and switching to a grain free, dairy free, white meat or fish based diet and adding some of the above supplements.
What diet does the vet recommend?
Other causes of excessive mucus include allergies to dust mites, cigarette smoke, perfumes, pollen etc etc as well as food intolerances. Has he had any allergy tests done?

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 06 Dec 2013, 16:11

My nephew has three pugs :) I've not heard him say anything about mucus problems. I would suggest looking at a pug forum (I know he posts on one). I'm sure they would have a health section and if it's like this one there will be lots of help I'm sure.
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage