Les Ferdinand and Family Christmas Traditions

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Bid

Les Ferdinand and Family Christmas Traditions

Post by Bid » 24 Dec 2013, 14:05

Taking the dogs out this morning I heard Womens hour discussing family traditions at Christmas - one lady has a grim reaper on her tree - supposedly an angel created by her daughter and which comes out every year. I wondered who else has a family tradition they always stick to at Christmas?

Since our parents are no longer with us, I am the keeper of the family cake decorations. We have the traditional cottage, pine trees, reindeer and snowman, and then there are the others that HAVE to be there every year.... the giant robin that dwarfs the cottage, the sailing ship and the elephant from old crackers, and last but not least - Les Ferdinand! I don't know why he is there, but my Mum used to insist every year that he was, and we carry on with it.

What new traditions have you got?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Masil

Re: Les Ferdinand and Family Christmas Traditions

Post by Masil » 24 Dec 2013, 17:08

That's a lovely tradition Bid, and it made me laugh. Presumably it's a figure of Les Ferdinand rather than the real thing? Otherwise, the cake must be MAHOOSIVE :lol:
When we were kids, my brother and I always had a Christmas stocking full of sweets left at the end of our beds. Bizarrely, we were allowed to eat them to stop us waking Mum and Dad up at some ungodly hour. It meant we never ate much of our dinner though :lol:

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 24 Dec 2013, 17:29

We have all sorts of Christmas bits the boys made when they were little that come out every year. I love those things. I've got ornaments that my grandparents gave me, some purple tinsel on top of the tree in memory of my granma who died in June. And lots of robin decks in memory of my dad who died in 2011. The bottom of our tree has been de tinselled by rig!

The best tradition that I started when my boys were small was that Santas elves would pop a DVD through the door on Christmas Eve, it kept them out of mischief while I got the last few bits done. These days now that they are 13 and 14 they still look forward to the DVD arriving and we all snuggle on the sofa to watch, hubby usually snores!

This year there will be 5 of us on the 3 seater :D :D :D
ImageImage

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 24 Dec 2013, 20:04

I still have a old bubble on my tree that my nan had on hers when i was around ten and dont know how long she had it for ,im 53 now.
ImageImage