Does anyone live near a wind turbine?

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Jaybz

Does anyone live near a wind turbine?

Post by Jaybz » 12 Jan 2014, 19:53

Well, it does say off-topic, doesn't it?!?

Yes, huz and I are planning on moving to the country (currently live in suburban South Manchester) to be closer to work and to nature.

One of the properties we're considering may end up having a 130 foot wind turbine only 1 kilometre away from the house.

Does anyone have experience of this? Will it be noisy? Will we be able to resell the property when the time comes?

Just taking a punt that there might be someone out there in doodle land that knows something!

Thanks!

Liz!!

Re: Does anyone live near a wind turbine?

Post by Liz!! » 12 Jan 2014, 20:28

They make no noise that I have been able to hear - there is one nearish us. And one at the secondary school 4 minutes walk away, that powers some of the electricity at the school.

I suspect that soon we will all have something similar - and if it powers something in your area, be glad!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Jan 2014, 20:48

I don't live near one, but one was proposed nearby, and one of the things raised that residents of the area worried about was the flashing of sunlight as the blades caused a shadow, so that would be a concern for me.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 12 Jan 2014, 23:49

They don't make any discernible noise when they are going, but when new ones were being installed the noise could be heard for at least 10 miles (it seemed to be mainly at night too) :evil:
Rachel & Roma

stout

Post by stout » 13 Jan 2014, 20:02

There is a mahusive one in Reading that powers an industrial estate that one of my clients is based in. It doesn't make noise, but as Bid said the blades do cause a funny flashing in sun which I find a pain.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 13 Jan 2014, 20:06

Is that the one by the m4 junction 11 or 12 ish? (can't remember!) my PIL live in Reading.
ImageImage

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 14 Jan 2014, 01:11

I don't think you'll notice much, if any, noise. They've been running for decades in Alberta without any issue I've ever heard about... probably in the UK as well.

Given there are more than 5,000 turbines in the UK already, if it hasn't become a big issue by now I doubt it ever will. :)

You could use its presence as a selling point... if the installation is there, that means there is a reliable breeze, which keeps the air clean and clear!

Better the turbine than an oil, coal or nuclear-powered generating station chugging away next door...

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 14 Jan 2014, 07:37

Interesting thread. I saw a program about two years ago with people who live close to one complaining of a "whooping" type noise that stopped them sleeping. Good to hear that other people who do live near one saying that there is no noise.

stout

Post by stout » 14 Jan 2014, 19:07

Helen & Rigby wrote:Is that the one by the m4 junction 11 or 12 ish? (can't remember!) my PIL live in Reading.
Yes, the one at junction 11!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle