Which Puppy Should the daughter get?

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
beeeerock

Re: Which Puppy Should the daughter get?

Post by beeeerock » 14 Jan 2014, 18:37

Bichon or Havanese. Probably the latter would be my first choice. They don't shed, are really quite small, love to please and very trainable.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 14 Jan 2014, 19:08

I'd be wary of the 'big eyed' breeds, as they tend to have eye problems (according to our vets). And all the Scotties I've known have been rather snappy - though that is only personal opinion, of course. The Border Terrier is also known to be long-lived, so ideal if she has children to grow up with it. We had a Yorkie bitch when our kids where small and she was ideal - soft, gentle, daft as a brush and very loving. We had her for sixteen years...
Good Luck with the search - Heaven knows why she thinks Lulu is nutty, don't all dogs chew loo brushes and dance in muddy patches??? :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 14 Jan 2014, 19:23

Went to look up keeshonds... look what i found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k56FquNFiI#t=38
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 14 Jan 2014, 19:37

Funny or what might try that on ally while I'm trying to Hoover! :D

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 15 Jan 2014, 09:29

What about a good old fashioned little mutt from a dogs home? Before the doodles I had 4 ex pound dogs and they were all lovely, loyal, good tempered beasties, no health issues and no real behaviour issues that weren't easily sorted out. My sister, never having had a dog before, rehomed a small collie cross from the pound when her children were small. Her kids are now all grown up and Polly, aged 14+, is still going strong and has seen both my sisters kids off to university and helped settle and grow another 5 foster children too, including 2 who were terrified of dogs :D .
I can tell you, from my experience here working with rescue dogs, that most of them don't come into the dogs home because they have done anything wrong, it's usually because the novelty has worn off for their owners :(

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 15 Jan 2014, 10:09

I think she is thinking beagle - and she thinks I have trouble with Lulu :!: :!:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

minkersmum

Post by minkersmum » 15 Jan 2014, 10:36

I too have been thinking about another dog, a small one that has to be child friendly (and dood friendly!)

For me I have to go with what I like the look of together with what would suit our life style.

I love Border Terriers. However I have a friends with borders. One friend has two who often vanish down holes despite never being 'working' dogs. I live surrounded by forestry badger sets everywhere, this would cause me soo much stress. I am a worrier!! If i lived in town i would have one!

I have grown to love little poodles! I can see my dood in them which helps and also without the silly haircuts they can be gorgeous. I am seriously considering a poodle.

I also like minature schnauzers. They are supposedly good with children and easy to train. I was in touch with a lady who had a litter of mini Schnauzers but all were reserved. I asked if she recommended them as family pets because I also liked Border terriers. Turns out her other dog is a border. She said she'd have 3 schnauzers to one border anyday!! She loves her BT but said they call her the 'border terrorist!'.

I also think a rescue cross breed small dog is worth lookkng at.

minkersmum

Post by minkersmum » 15 Jan 2014, 10:40

Forgot to say I know two families who have had beagles. First was my cousin who had one when her kids were small. It was good with kids but it was very hard to train and used to escape and run off a the time.

I also have a friend who has a 15 week old beagle at the moment. Again proving very difficult to train and has developed food aggresion issue and growls if you disturb him while he is snoozing.

This could be isolated cases but I believe Beagles are notoriously hard to train.

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 15 Jan 2014, 12:42

I had a yorkie and he wasnt to keen on children and was brought up with familys kids and my own teenagers ,he would kill hedghogs and didnt like cats even though we had cats,i know they are all different but i didnt want a terrier again after him,before him i had always had cross breads that were great.My daughters freind as got a sitshue,i liked the dashound aswell.
ImageImage

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 15 Jan 2014, 18:53

Id say king charles as they are quite placid ish lol or a mini schnauzer..

Beagles can be good but letting them off lead may be a problem as they are scent hounds:/

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 15 Jan 2014, 22:48

I had to come back to say - there was a little Scottie at our training class last night who was a complete sweetheart!! :oops:
Although I whole-heartedly agree with taking on rescues, having had two of my own, I would advise caution if you have children in the mix... my first was rather aggressive (to say the least) and my second was dangerous as he seemed gentle and kind but hated young boys... We had no idea until he saw one, and alarm bells started to ring. Be very, very careful if you go down this route as the safety of your children/grandchildren must come first.

Anne & Ianto x

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 15 Jan 2014, 23:14

My daughter won't get a rescue - she has a 6 and 8 year old boy and they are used to Lulu anyway so maybe a little rough for a rescue that hasn't been brought up with them

thanks for all your input though
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

minkersmum

Post by minkersmum » 16 Jan 2014, 00:33

Lots of rescues will assess their dogs with children.

It would be a shame to overlook a rescue because so many dogs end up in rescue centres because their owners have problems not the dogs.

Jack was a rescue. 4 years old. Originally his info said not to be rehomed with young children because he was big and bouncy but my children then 2, 4 and 6 were used to our Great Dane (who'd just passed away) The rescue let my kids come and meet him and also felt they knew him quite well as he'd been there a few weeks and knew his history.

I would say Jack's best quality is how patient and loving he is with the children. He has never put a paw wrong and they are VERY confident around him.

Yet my friend along the road with her beagle puppy, the blank canvas, growling and food aggression. Just saying, each dog is an individual and you can have problems with a puppy too. Much of it is down to luck in my opinion.

Bid

Post by Bid » 16 Jan 2014, 00:51

Nooooo! Beagles are fab little dogs, but they are working dogs - very busy noses and they can rarely be let off lead without a huuuge amount of on-going training! I regularly find one when I am out walking - never with his owner. I have her phone number on my favourites list! :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 16 Jan 2014, 01:38

Crumbs!! It's a minefield... perhaps she'd like a rabbit? :roll:
Anne :lol: