Furminater

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Ally doodle

Furminater

Post by Ally doodle » 16 Jan 2014, 18:55

Hi folks can you use a furminater on a labradoodle? Every couple of days i take enough hair out of ally to make a jumper for a small child!

linny

Re: Furminater

Post by linny » 16 Jan 2014, 18:58

You can on the smoother type but you musn't use on the curlies....it will tangle.
I used one for Huggy and it was a godsend..... just make sure that you use it lightly as it's quite sharp .
Huggy is on the right of my sig. Ambrose on the left is too curly for the furminator.

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 16 Jan 2014, 19:01

Thanks linny. Ally has a thick wavy coat so it's maybe not for her

Niandsa

Post by Niandsa » 16 Jan 2014, 21:54

We use one on Poppy but no more than once a month. She has a thick wavy coat and it works well on her. I always run a brush and comb through her coat first to ensure that it doesn't snag on anything.
ImageImage
Poppy and Rosie

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 16 Jan 2014, 22:39

I've recently found the Les Poochs red brush is excellent for Ianto's coat, but he is more of a curly/fleecy guy...
Anne & Ianto x

Douglas

Post by Douglas » 17 Jan 2014, 10:30

I use one called a Mars you can get them from Amazon. Does the same thing as the furminator but not as sharp, it is brilliant.I use it once a month.

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 17 Jan 2014, 13:49

We purchased one for Vince but don't use it because it seems far to harsh on his coat it rip's out the undercoat far too much IMO after only only a few combs and leaves his coat looking and feeling rough and harsh to the touch :?
We've gone back to a wide toothed comb and bristle dog brush.

I think that a mixed doodle coat maintenance routine depends on each individual dog so it works for some and not for others. I should add that Vince's coat is a real mix of fur/wool/straight/whispy and curly.

My near neighbour who has two dear little Norwich Terriers use's one to strip out their coat's twice a year it works well for them :)
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 17 Jan 2014, 18:12

Thanks everyone for the ideas I think I'll stick to my comb :D

Alfiecyril

Post by Alfiecyril » 19 Jan 2014, 00:46

I was given a furminator by Ralphie's previous owners. He is a curly coated doodle and he does get large matted patches which I really struggle to untangle. I have a few other brushes and a comb and use them in combination. I think I'm yet to find the ideal brush! He is booked in to be beautified on 7 February so I think I'll be going for a short cut this time!