How are our friends in the South West???

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Noglet

How are our friends in the South West???

Post by Noglet » 05 Feb 2014, 18:59

Looking at the news reports of the effects of the weather on Dawlish got me wondering how all our friends in the South West are doing. Hope everyone's well and not too badly affected by the weather - thinking of all the Devon Diehards and sending doodle hugs and vibes!

poppygreen

Re: How are our friends in the South West???

Post by poppygreen » 05 Feb 2014, 22:37

OH took the Doods to the Huntspill river as usual but it was so wet and windy Oscar refused to get out of the car, Poppy tried to tough it out but got back in very quickly when told [never usually happens!] so no walkies today..pity the poor dogs and owners who havent had anywhere to walk for weeks on most of the Levels.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 05 Feb 2014, 23:19

Lola had a little lump cut out today and I carried her down to the vets' and became completely drenched! All the recycling was being blown everywhere.

She is fast asleep now - the lump looked a bit suspicious so I'll have to wait for the histology to see what it was.

I took her out of her bed earlier to give her some food - I stood her up and all her legs went out from under her and she flopped to the ground, so i had to push the food under her head for her to eat...

Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

linny

Post by linny » 05 Feb 2014, 23:20

Thanks Noglet for thinking of us all :) :)
Lots of damage at Dawlish but my heart goes out to those on the Levels, they have had weeks and weeks of it......and there seems no end in sight does there..
We have fllooded barns, sheds and stables, no grazing left at all and a herd of very miserable horses ponies and goats but our house is dry......unlike those poor folks. :(

linny

Post by linny » 05 Feb 2014, 23:33

Hi Liz, pleased to hear that Lola's lump has been removed . ....Poor little girlie.......sorry to read that you were drenched, what a day to have to walk to the vets. :!:
Give Lola a gentle hug....all fingers crossed for a positive outcome and healing vibes being sent. :)

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 05 Feb 2014, 23:39

Hi Linny, thank you. Very kind friends who didn't know what was happening and phoned to invite me out, cancelled their plans, gave me lunch and then drove me to get her when she was ready, so I was dry that time!

Our village gets flooded in parts as it is between two rivers - friends are on flood alert and have been for weeks. Such a strain.

Unfortunately the old people's bungalows are in the flood plain right next to the river and they feel very vulnerable.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 05 Feb 2014, 23:50

Surviving, just :cry:

We have water leaking through our roof straight into the electrical fuses and no prospect of the roof being sorted until Mid March! the dog towels are being pressed into action to jam up into the ceiling and soak up the wet.

Mum's roof is very high and had two holes where the slates have blown off, about a foot wide each, plus the edge of the ridge is gone. Last night the hole on one side became four feet wide and she has water soaking through the ceiling and down her chandelier in her bedroom onto her bed.

Much back and forth with her insurance company and they have agreed to temporary repairs until they get round to deciding on the quotes I had to get to get it repaired (given the roof is too high to see properly from the ground).

No roofers or scaffolders available at all. Managed to get hold of a roofer and he has agreed the scaffolder will come on Tuesday (next week) and put the scaffold up to allow him to get up there and make a temporary repair, provided the weather calms down so he can do the other jobs he is currently on. Fat chance of that :evil:

Tried to put plastic in the holes from inside the attic last week and it blew straight out and away. Slates are flying in all directions and I have banned her from setting foot outside in case she gets hit. Her little dog shot up the garden for a wee this morning and sat under her mimosa tree, which was cracking off branches and near gave Mum a heart attack in case Lola got hit :shock:

She's 82 and doesn't need this stress, and neither do I :cry: Now awaiting the phone call to say her entire roof has gone.

Meanwhile our dogs have had a sofa day as it's far too dangerous to walk them anywhere around here because we are right on the coast. Even the inland parks have trees coming down :cry:

At least we aren't flooded, thank God, although the rain and wind are lashing against the windows as I type.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Feb 2014, 00:00

We get cut off from time to time, but thankfully the house is high enough not to be at risk. Took the doods out this morning, but had to keep them on lead because I couldn't walk against the wind without them!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 06 Feb 2014, 00:15

My heart goes out to you all. Every time I go to moan about the wind and rain I shut up and remind myself there are others so much worse off than we are. There is a street near us that has flooded for the last three years causing horrendous damage and frustration to the occupiers but fortunately thousands have been spent on drainage and pipes so this year, so far, they are nice and dry.
Keep safe and remember you are not forgotten. :D
ImageImage

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 06 Feb 2014, 00:34

Seeing the pictures on the news shows just what a force Mother Nature is to be reckoned with. Please keep safe when you feel you can brave the weather for a walk with the doods. It's scary out there!

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Feb 2014, 00:41

Crikey! Just seen the forecast for tomorrow - 12 hours of heavy rain! :shock:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Harvey Doodle

Post by Harvey Doodle » 06 Feb 2014, 10:23

We are fortunate that we live close enough to the coast to enjoy its splendors during good weather and far enough not to suffer the horrendous consequences of the recent and recurring storms.

We also chose to live on a hill - a very wise decision.

We feel so sorry for those on the levels and the coast who are suffering so badly at present.
Ken, Marion & Harvey
ImageImage

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 06 Feb 2014, 11:50

Some of my favourite places in the UK are in the South West....Happy Happy memories :D We too have been thinking of you all in this crazy weather......please Stay Safe everyone.

Here in Norfolk the tidal surge of the 5th December was pretty bad .....so bad that David Cameron visited Wells next the Sea a few days later :shock: :roll: Probably just delivering John Major's chrissy card :lol: as he lives just up the road :lol:

They are saying that Wells may be ready and open for visitors Easter weekend which means I've got a bit of a wait yet to get my food fix from my favourite and the best Fish & Chips Chippy in Norfolk :(
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

linny

Post by linny » 06 Feb 2014, 19:16

:( :( So sorry to read about your Mum's roof Mrs A.......it's not something she needs at her age. I do hope someone comes to fix it soon.
We have another storm heading in on Saturday.....you would think that the roofer could make her a priority considering her age and health. :(