Bloggers

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
Doodle Dee

Bloggers

Post by Doodle Dee » 27 Feb 2014, 11:48

Hi all

I have decided to start a blog on Lulu's life - I know some of you already do this, but I did write about her when she first came to me and I thought I would put it into a blog

I am not very technically minded and am trying hard. The only thing is apparently I don't see what you see as every time I log on it goes to my own home page.

Could you look at it for me, make any suggestions (I am using Wordpress - thanks for your help Liz and Beesrock) - do you see anything that perhaps shouldn't be there. I wanted a link to the Labradoodle Trust and Facebook but can't see it.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions will be extremely welcome
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Liz!!

Re: Bloggers

Post by Liz!! » 27 Feb 2014, 11:53

Just type your own blog address into your address bar - this is different to your 'workings'.

Then you'll see your own page.

If the address at the top reverts to the settings address, manually remove the "/wp-admin/options-general.php" it and press enter.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 27 Feb 2014, 15:21

thanks a lot again liz

I forgot to give you the address:

http://denisevogel2014.wordpress.com
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 27 Feb 2014, 18:51

I have an account on wordpress.com so I can take advantage of the JetPack functions on my privately hosted site... so I'm not really up on the details of wordpress.com when compared with the privately hosted version. Privately hosted allows more functions because if you break something, it's your problem... wordpress.com doesn't give you that opportunity! :lol:

You probably see the menu bar on the top of your screen. That means you're signed in. If you sign out and go the link you posted, you should see the site as everyone else does. However, you can also go to that link when signed in and it should look the same, but for the addition of that header menu bar.

If you're working on post editing etc and want to take a look at the complete site (not just the post you've been working on - it should have a preview function for that purpose), have a look at the drop down menu in the upper right corner with your login name on it. There should be something underneath relating to the site, perhaps 'read blog', which might be another level below your blog site name.

As far as providing links go, there is a widget to allow that, called 'links' or something close. You could add it to your sidebar or somewhere (widgets are drag/drop in the widget edit page) and it will appear on all pages. You will then need to go the 'Link' menu on the left side main menu bar and add the information you want to appear in the widget. However, it's possible to have additional pages on your site - wordpress is more than just your blog entry page - so you could create one called 'recommended sites' for instance (or whatever floats your boat) and compose a static page that includes links and perhaps an explanation of what they are and why you like them. The link itself would be inserted into your text editor box in a very similar way to how it's done here.

I've set up an example of this for you at http://brocknanson.wordpress.com showing links on a static page (click the LINKS option at the top of the page beside HOME and ABOUT) and also one link in the right hand sidebar space called 'Photographic', if you want to take a look. Notice that the sidebar appears on all pages, which can clutter your site - too many may be too much of a good thing... which is why I'd probably just go with a static page that allows more explanation of each link.

One thing to note about blog posts... they are always sorted by date on the main page, so if you write one chronologically out of order, it will always be out of order! And the date of the post is the real date - haven't seen a way to fudge that if you decide you should have written something that would go into last June for example. If you know you want to post something but don't have the time to write it right now, you could start the post and save it just to get it tied to the current date... a placeholder if you will...

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 27 Feb 2014, 19:12

I fudge it by writing the entry below one posted on that date, as an addendum.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)