including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 09:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Did I do wrong?
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 09:56 

Yesterday I was driving through my village when I saw an elderly lady on the floor with her mobility scooter on it's side underneath her. :( I ran over to her and there was a big pool of blood under her head and running off the pavement. :( She was very dazed and agitated at the sight of so much blood.

Now I know basic first aid and knew that the wound needed pressure applying. As I had no gloves I made a decision that the chance of infection was low due to the lady's age (94!) and the fact I had no cuts on my hands. I applied pressure until someone found a first aid kit a few minutes later and then used dressings etc. There was a lot of blood and the dressings were becoming saturated as soon as I applied them.

Fast forward 10 minutes and a local gp arrived. The wound had pretty much stopped bleeding by then so he said she would be ok and went back to surgery! :cry: Not before giving me a seriously disapproving look for my very bloody hand. :cry:

I haven't stopped thinking about it since and I really think I would do the same again if faced with a casualty with so much blood. Or should I have waited for god knows how long for someone with gloves to arrive? I will be putting together a basic first aid kit for my car.

Sorry for such a long post - I think I am a little traumatised by the whole experience. :( The ambulance took one and a quarter hours to arrive despite being chased up 3 times. :cry: The poor old lady was so uncomfortable and cold on the floor, several of the bystanders were in tears for her. :( I can feel a letter of complaint coming on! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Did I do wrong?
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 10:28 

Well done you for stepping forward. I think any situ like you describe leaves one more traumatised than first realised. Personally, I commend you for your actions and shame on the GP for not taking over or indeed seeing if you were ok considering the experience. Thinking further,why did the GP not offer you something to clean up with. Shame on him.
Ambulance service - please do report it, maybe even to your MP ( who else?) as this is becoming worryingly common whilst the Govt continues to cut cost and outsource the NHS and related services more.
I read on Monday of circumstance where lady left lying in the road for near 2 hrs until ambulance arrived. Some folks parked cars across and some one bought a chair out to sit with the lady left lying on the road. Unbelievable.
Feeling particularly cynical perhaps the disapproving look from the GP was that you had stolen his moment of 'glory' :roll: :wink:

Write that letter of complaint but let me end by again saying thank you for stepping forward!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 10:53 

Congratulations on doing exactly the RIGHT thing and stepping in to help! As you'd know, the first step in first aid is to assess risk to you or the patient, and it sounds like you did just that. Short of stripping off some clothing, I'm not sure what else you could have done.

I'm quite shocked at the GP's behaviour. I imagine it would be the same everywhere, but here the rule is that doctors are not obliged to offer assistance, but once they do, they have to stay until they can hand over to the paramedics. Seems like a breach of duty of care to me :(

I hope the lady was ok. An 86 yo man on a mobility scooter got hit by a car near us yesterday, and not doing so well :(

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 11:17 

Well done to you, for being kind enough to stop and help, that is almost a miracle in these days when lots of people would just have kept driving, regardless other their medical expertise

GPs ? - oh lord don't get me started, suffice to say, every year that goes by the respect-o-meter drops several points.

I think you should write the letter.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 11:27 

To be fair, the GP did leave a practice nurse with us, who checked her pulse every 10 minutes or so (wearing her gloves of course!) A passerby had wipes in their car which they gave me to clean up my hands once the bleeding had stopped. The GP only seemed to have gloves with him, no first aid kit? :? The dressings all came from a kit which some council workers had. And a workman's fleece which I have a feeling may be unwearable now. :cry: I know head wounds bleed profusely but there really was a lot of blood. :cry:

I have emailed a complaint to the ambulance service and posted on their facebook wall. I've asked for the timings of the calls so that I can send an accurate report to the MP.

One final thing that made my blood boil - I had pulled into the entrance to the village green and abandoned my car to reach the lady. It was left about 10 foot from the lady so I decided not to move it later on as it was protecting her from cars driving past. The amount of abuse from drivers trying to access the parking area was unbelievable. :cry: Luckily we had some burley council workers to direct them round to the other entrance. :twisted: The drivers could clearly see a casualty on the floor and were treating her as an inconvenience. :( What is wrong with human beings? :evil: The whole episode has definitely upset me more than I realised.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 11:40 

If it had been my elderly mother lying there I would have wanted you to have done what you did (sorry, clumsy sentence construction). It would have been far more detrimental and terrifying for her to be left alone. The GP's attitude seems sloppy and uncaring so yes, write your letters.

And, once again WELL DONE YOU

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 11:42 

Well done for doing what you did. The lady would be a whole lot worse off, if you hadn't helped her.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 11:51 

Can I add to the voices congratulating you on your good deed? So many people would (and did!) pass on by :( . It sounds as though you may be a little bit in shock today, as well as justifiably angry, so yes - write your letter, but also take it easy, and rest if you feel unusually tired :D

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 12:27 

Sheesh, you did exactly the right thing.

When Lola was a pup, I was walking out of our WI hall with a friend when I saw an old lady sort of slow and look wobbly some way in front. I didn't really think, I had a basket, and Lola and I dropped Lola's lead and the basket to run to her to catch her before she hit the cobbles. I just hoped my friend would catch Lola (she did). I play that over and over as I felt ashamed I'd dropped Lola's lead, but your body sort of takes over and you do what you feel is right. I carried the old lady to a bench and a Dr arrived about 3 mins later as the surgery was just up the road and in a village word gets about quickly! But I still feel guilty and I'm not sure why, really.

Anyhow, good for you, i wish people weren't so lacking in empathy sympathy and goodness.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 13:34 

Very well done. Look after yourself today xx

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 13:35 

I'd say you did exactly the right thing that any decent and caring person would do :D :D and if I was a relative of the injured lady, I'd be doing my utmost to find you to give you my heartfelt thanks.

I also think shame on the GP :evil: :evil:

Write your letters/emails with pride but like Bid says, make sure you take things easy today! :D :D

ImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 14:01 

Quite agree. I think you should be proud of yourself. It seems as if people today are very selfish. If it were they lying there I wonder what they would want you to do? What if you just walked on by. I bet they wouldn't be too,pleased. I don't know what society is coming too.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 15:03 

In answer to your question - No! You did exactly what I'd like to hope any human being would (although sadly, nowadays not many would).
I ran to help a young man who'd fallen from a hotel balcony and was bleeding profusely from a head wound. After calling out, "Get a towel!" to the assembled on-lookers, I did a quick revision - "Get a hotel towel!" - several were then produced. Unbelievable...
Look after yourself, it must have be a shock for you too, and I hope your 'charge' is recovering well. Thank you for being there for her -
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 18:31 

I will add my congratulations to the list above. A few months ago my son resuscitated a man that had taken a drugs over dose, he works in a hostel, he got to his room and found him blue and not breathing, on the floor. If he hadn't done what he did the man would be dead. He had to have all sorts of tests, HIV etc but has said he would do the same again. He now carries the right equipment in his pocket. You saw someone in need and assisted. :D

The world needs more people like you, those who don't always stop and calculate the risk but just see a person in need and step up.

I was very proud of my son, he also has a needle phobia so you can imagine what he went through, and I am proud of you. The shock does creep up on you but just hold on to the fact that you made a difference. The fact that the ambulance took so long is a disgrace but the comfort the lady will have found in your presence and actions is huge. Once again well done, be proud there is no shame in it!

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2014, 22:17 

Thank you everyone. :) I am feeling so much better this evening, even more so having taken a phonecall from the old lady's neighbour to say that she is home and doing really well. :D I will pay her a visit early next week with some flowers once she is settled back in. :D

I now know I did the right thing (I can't believe I allowed myself to use others' judgements to question myself :( ) I have learnt from the experience in that I will carry a first aid kit in my car and a small one in my handbag. But I know that if I was faced with the same situation again I would do exactly the same. I am just so pleased that we have a happy ending. :D