including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 20:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie to labradoodles
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 22:35 

Hi , I have just joined because we as a family have decided to get a dog next July, we are deciding on a breed with labradoodles being top of the list , we would like a dog that doesn't shed hair constantly doesn't bark constantly and is easy to train my kids will be 16,11 and 9 when we get a pup, do you think I'm choosing the right breed?

Post subject: Re: Newbie to labradoodles
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2014, 23:56 

Hi there - welcome to the world of doodles!

Obviously we all think that doodles are fabulous dogs :roll: , but tbh most of them do shed hair. The Aussie doodles don't, and a lot of those backcrossed to poodles don't, but there are no guarantees with them. Unfortunately you can't always tell with a puppy what the adult coat will be like, so if you are looking for a non-shedder because of allergies you would be best with an Australian doodle or a poodle, but if it is just a preference you may be lucky, and if not you will have fallen for your doodle and not care!

They are very clever dogs (poodles are generally thought to be in the top 3 for intelligence!) so training them is a lot of fun - they do think for themselves and like to be given a lot to do or they will find their own entertainments :lol: If you are already thinking of training though, it sounds like you are up for this. :D

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 07:55 

Hi and welcome. We have an F1b Labradoodle,her mam was a labradoodle and her dad a standard poodle. My hubby has never had a dog before and he suffers from allergies. He has not been too well as of late and is now semi retired.You can never guarantee that they will not moult. Rachel, the breeder we bought Scooby from , said the same, the previous litter did not moult. We went to see Scooby and didn't suffer any reaction and we bought her. Fortunately she does not moult and she is wonderful and we love her to bits. She has also helped my hubby improve no end and we would never be without her. Good luck with your search.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 07:57 

We love our doods on this forum and if you continue to follow us you will read about all the things they get up to especially the puppy stage. I would recommend you look at the M.E.S.S. Section and find a local doodle meet and go along with your family and see all the differences and sizes etc. doodle owners will welciome you and happily talk doodle all day!!
as such an intelligent breed they do need challenging with training and kind positive rewards. Left to their own devices they will get up to mischief and mass destruction.
I adore my girls pixie and large standard girl and jazz a mini dood both first cross lab x poodle and yet soooooo different. Pixie being more lab like and jazz more poodle yet you would ever have guessed as much as pups
Have fun and good luck

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 08:48 

Welcome and happy hunting for your Dood. I'd echo what everyone else says about shedding fur - you just don't know unless you go for an Aussie Dood what you are going to get.

The other thing to bear in mind is the amount of grooming involved. My two are F1b's (Labradoodle mum and poodle dad hence the b for back crossed back to a poodle). Their fur is very different - Fozzie is curly and quite woolly, Florence is soft and silky. Neither shed much onto the furniture etc. but Florence needs her fur brushed very regularly or she gets matted. She has little bald spots all over her at the moment where her mats have got out of hand and I've had to cut them out.

Barking is what some dogs do - Fozzie rarely barks and normally only in response to Florence who is a bit of a shouty pants girl who chatters away to everyone whether they want to talk or not. I would guess that all breeds are the same in this respect - it just depends on the personality of the particular dog.

Meeting up with local doods is an excellent idea - you can get to know people and see just how wonderful these dogs are.

Good luck
Xx

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 08:55 

Hi, rigs is a mini mini doodle, he's 3/4 poodle and doesn't moult but is a barker! :D

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 11:55 

Hi, and welcome . As has been said earlier, we love our Doods!! Dex is an Auzzie, 9 months old, so still has his puppy coat, and doesn't shed. He's a medium (!), 24 ins to shoulder so far ( counter surfing height- eeeek), and is 17.8 kgs. He's very slim with long likes- very poodle like frame ( with a lab appetite:;0) ). He is a very loving, happy boy, calm most of the time, but enjoys a bit of nonsense as well- he's a joy to be with!!! X

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 14:10 

Hi
Our labradoodle coco is an f1b her mum is a labradoodle and dad miniture poodle,she doesn't moult but needs to be groomed everyday,her coat is like a sheepskin rug and will matt if not brushed.
She only barks if I go upstairs without her so I normally take her with me for a peaceful life :D

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 15:04 

Welcome to the forum ,glad you thinking of getting a doodle they are great dogs ,dexter is a large big built heavy dog ,and does moult , its more like fluff .He is a scuffy looking doodle with wavy loose curls ,dont need much grooming and never matts ,needs cutting arond 3 times year and just trim him up myself to keep him tidy .They are all dfferent ,i would come to a doodle walk and you can have a look at all the differnt sizes and coats.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 16:03 

Hi Bellevw72,
Welcome to the forum. If you're thinking of a ladradoodle, then you've come to the right place! :lol:

We have a medium multi (I can't work out his 'F' status - his grandma was back-bred to a miniature poodle) so he has a soft, fleecy coat and doesn't moult all over - but he sheds into his coat and has to be kept well-groomed. He also needs clipping several times a year (so you may have to bear grooming costs in mind). Some of the Standard doods can be quite huge (Donkey-Doodles!). You'll see from some of the posts on here that there are many different types of doods; large, small, excitable, calm, dainty, chunky.... all of them wonderful :lol:

If you're on Facebook you could join the Doodlefest 2014 group and check out all the photos on there of all the different shapes and sizes...

Whereabouts are you in the country? There are lots of Doodle Meet groups on FB, too. (Or, as already suggested, check in M.E.S.S. on here for details of meet ups). All of them would be really happy to see a family who are interested enough to find out about their (potential) chosen breed before taking the plunge!

I would urge you to do your homework and find a reliable breeder - as you're not thinking to get your puppy for a while, this will be a good time to get to know breeders and maybe visit a few (if they're legit. they'll welcome your interest in the welfare of the breeding bitches and puppies). Buying from a reputable breeder reduces the suffering caused to the poor breeding bitches kept in appalling conditions by people who are only interested in a quick profit - and should help to ensure that you have a healthy, confident pup. Or you could look at perhaps adopting a doodle from the Doodle Trust (Labradoodle Trust as was) they have dogs in foster homes just waiting for a ready-made family...

Most Doodles love people and especially children... at risk of sounding like that Fast Show character - they're Brilliant!!! :oops:
But you'd expect us to say that wouldn't you? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Good Luck -
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 17:16 

Well, Doodlers, I'm thinking of getting a Dood now - you've done a great selling job!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 20:14 

swardie wrote:
Well, Doodlers, I'm thinking of getting a Dood now - you've done a great selling job!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good one, Sandie! :lol: I've almost convinced myself!!! :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 20:24 

After reading all these posts, I think we are nearly ready to get one. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Or shall we just see how our present dog turns out.

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 23:52 

H'mmm, come to think of it, no-one has yet mentioned their penchant for 'surfing, stealing and eating socks or 'Dashing.... (garden clearance, absorbing huge quantities of water and mud in their coats, emptying your bank account not withstanding...) :oops: :shock: :lol:
Anne & Ianto x

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 06:57 

Sssssssh, Anne, don't mention the Velcro coat and the ninja tendencies , their second job as cashier of the Bank of England, ( or the garden clearance skills)!! Or everyone will want such a hard working dog !! :wink: :lol: x