including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 01:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken wrist!
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 12:46 

I can't quite believe this has happened but, last week,I tripped in the bedroom (Not Dude related) and fractured my wrist :oops:
I went to A+E and ended up in plaster, then , yesterday I attended fracture clinic where I learned that my fracture had slipped, so I had to be "manipulated" to realign the bone into a new cast :shock:
This has meant a lot of changes for Dude who is being walked by my husband and adult children( when they can get here)
It means way less walks for him yet he's been a complete Angel. I wanted to say this because our doodles often get called Crazy dogs!!
I feel guilty not being able to exercise him but he's totally relaxed about it and just sits by me and keeps me company. :D Anny

Post subject: Re: Broken wrist!
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 13:58 

Sorry to hear about your wrist!
Way to go Dude! Their loyalty is just so endearing. I hope your wrist recovers well.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 14:24 

Oh no! I wish you a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 23:04 

Ouch! Hope the healing now continues without any further set backs.
Dude sounds lovely,some how they just know...
If he does get antsy (is that derived from 'ants in your pants'? I digress!) Sure you remember you and he can always play find it in the house.

Take care

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 09:14 

Many thanks :D Yes, we have been playing Find the chopped raw carrot, and,of course, ball games. Working on getting him to drop the ball on my lap rather than by my feet! He looks at me as if I'm nuts! Perhaps I should see it as enforced exercise for my achey back(as my GP said " movement is good, we don't want it seizing up!") I still feel such a chump tripping up in the bedroom :roll: Anny

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 12:15 

Sorry to hear about your wrist. Glad Dude is taking good care of you!

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2016, 20:55 

Wish you better. When I hurt my foot I did home games with her. Apparently using their brain is as good as exercising

ImageImage

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 17:08 

Aw, wish you better soon... manipulation, *winces*

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 08:53 

Another clinic visit yesterday but better news this time:the break is healing , so I'm now booked in to have the cast removed on 2nd June. Seems ages, but at least there was no sign of "slipping", no need for "manipulation"or talk of "pins"! Relieved!
Dude continues to be a v good boy for me, although he has blotted his copy book with Paul a couple of times over the weekend, off lead, by running just that little bit too far ahead :shock: All that open space is way more exciting when he currently spends most of the time hanging out with me in my studio these days :roll: Anny

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016, 15:41 

Sorry to read about your accident and wishing you a speedy recovery.
My lot always seem to pick up on the times when I'm not well and seem to behave that much better than the norm (with the exception of Eli who is always a little unmentionable :wink: ) ....they always revert to chaos as soon as I'm feeling better :lol:
Get well soon from Linny & the boys

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 13:53 

Well, yesterday my cast came off, so now I'm on the slow road to eco very with 3months of physio ahead.
This is a quick update to say how great Dude has been, despite his change of routine and how incredibly adaptable I've found him to be. Prior to my fracture he had 2long ( 1hour each) walks a day plus a ball session mid day. Since April he's had 3 very short walks with Paul,plus ball in the garden with me. Weekend have stayed much the same with Paul taking him on long off lead jaunts.
I have to say I expected him to be restless but not at all! The only change that was drawn to my attention by our groomer is that he seems to have lost weight! She's right, by about 1kg. Maybe less walking=less muscle? Whatever, he seems well.
I will need to make as much progress with the physio as possible because I am certainly LONGING to get out walking Dude again! But, as it's a 2handed job, I must be patient and make do with accompanying the others when they walk him. Anny

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 11:49 

Great to hear cast is off. What a relief in this weather too.
Dude sounds lovely...
Thought:about the two handed walk , could be nice little training exercise for you both walk relaxed together round garden etc, no lead,might get you out on the lead sooner(realised how that reads but hah shall leave it :wink: )
DO those physio routines!!

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 12:53 

That is a great idea, Thankyou. A pocket full of treats and he will stick to me like glue! Can't believe I didn't think of it myself.
Who knows, if it goes well, we could be One hand on lead walkers eventually! I use 2hands, generally, to get nice,to heel, walking. I suspect( I know) the other members of the family let him walk further ahead... But I'm not complaining! I'm v lucky to have others to help.
Do you manage One handed lead walks? Or, likeDude, do you have an easily distracted doodle? Anny