Please - may need some help soon.

You can use this area for idle or not so idle chat that is not related to Labradoodles as long as you keep it free of flame wars and anything obscene.
jimbo

Please - may need some help soon.

Post by jimbo » 14 Mar 2008, 11:51

Hi all.
We are in a real dillema at the moment. We picked up our 5 month old Labradoodle last saturday and unfortunately my wife has developed a terrible allergic reaction to him - we think its his saliva. It has got progressively worse over last few days and last night she couldn't get any sleep. She has taken anti histermenes and rubbed on various creams but nothing has helped. We will try to persevere over the next few days but we have to be very pragmatic about this and if things dont get better - my wifes health is a priority over the dog. He is an adorable puppy with a fantastic temperament and is extremely good at learning commands. His mother is full 100%ASD and his father is UK small standard poodle. Fully Vac'd / neutered / microchipped etc and cost us a lot of money. He just wants to be cuddled all the time and sleep at your feet - he is very very chilled out. Now here comes the hard bit, if we have to let him go / sell him on, can anyone give us some advice or does anybody know anyone who may be looking for a fantastic new Labdoodle. As I said, it may not come to this but we are having to put the feelers out if the worst comes to the worst. He is black and he is gorgeous but unfortunatley we have to be realistic. We would welcome anybodys comments. Thank you so much.

Katie Rourke

Re: Please - may need some help soon.

Post by Katie Rourke » 14 Mar 2008, 12:02

Jimbo

I feel for you, this is a tragic situation.

However, surely your first port of call should be the breeder you bought him from?

You've only had him since Saturday, you have a genuine reason for returning him that you had not anticipated. A good breeder wouldn't hesitate to take him back and (at this very early stage) offer you a full refund.

Please let us know how you get on.
Katie is a passionate canine professional who has been working with dogs all of her adult life. She is an experienced clicker trainer and has trained dogs for Films and TV. Katie now runs http://www.centrestagedoggrooming.co.uk/home.html.

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 14 Mar 2008, 12:02

Mia
x
ImageImageImage

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 14 Mar 2008, 12:22

Hi
We have already contacted the breeder and they said they would have him back if need be, but not giving a full refund. To be honest, the money is not really the issue, its the welfare of the dog being moved from home to home I am more concerned about. My wife has just come back from the Docs and he said it is a very bad reaction to the saliva.

freedom

Post by freedom » 14 Mar 2008, 13:02

How awful for you, I presume you will have mentioned allergies when you looked into homing this puppy? if so the breeder will have surely been prepared for this unfortunate situation
We have already contacted the breeder and they said they would have him back if need be, but not giving a full refund. To be honest, the money is not really the issue
The puppy should surely be the breeders concern, not the money :(
Hopefully you can have a nice home lined up for him soon.

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 14 Mar 2008, 13:21

I am surprised the breeder let you have the dog, because ASD or pure Poodle if you are allergic to dog saliva unfortunately no breed of dog would be suitable.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 14 Mar 2008, 13:52

PennyAli wrote:I am surprised the breeder let you have the dog, because ASD or pure Poodle if you are allergic to dog saliva unfortunately no breed of dog would be suitable.

Hi Penny
We did not know my wife had the allergy, it has gradually come on over the last few days. Ironically, I am the one who is allergic to dogs and I have been fine with him - hence the reason we went with labradoodle. x

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 14 Mar 2008, 15:13

What a shame. The Rescue would easily rehome the dog but won't pay (quite rightly) They will however find a wonderful home. Perhaps you could PM the people looking on the rehoming section?

Barb

Post by Barb » 14 Mar 2008, 15:16

Did you sign a contract when you bought the puppy? A good breeder will allways give a guarantee of a full refund if the pup is returned, within 7 days of purchase, in the same condition as it was purchased.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 14 Mar 2008, 15:34

Barb wrote:Did you sign a contract when you bought the puppy? A good breeder will allways give a guarantee of a full refund if the pup is returned, within 7 days of purchase, in the same condition as it was purchased.

No we didn't - we didn't think it would be necessary, or to be honest, even think about it !

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 14 Mar 2008, 15:37

Hi

He sounds wondeful i really hope that your beautiful dog finds a lovely new home.
Take care and regards to your wife.
Caroline and Rob xxx

kats

Post by kats » 14 Mar 2008, 15:43

hi

sorry to hear this has happened, you must be heartbroken :(

if you look on the rehoming section someone has been looking for a doodle on there and perhaps they may be interested? their username is yellowkatdj

may be worth a shot.. good luck
Kats and Evie x
Image Image
Some blindness is PREVENTABLE, all parents need clear Eye certificates. Don't accept excuses.

Barb

Post by Barb » 14 Mar 2008, 15:46

jimbo wrote:
Barb wrote:Did you sign a contract when you bought the puppy? A good breeder will allways give a guarantee of a full refund if the pup is returned, within 7 days of purchase, in the same condition as it was purchased.

No we didn't - we didn't think it would be necessary, or to be honest, even think about it !
You shouldn't have had to think about it. The breeder should have asked you to sign one. If you want to pm me with details I will try to help you.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 14 Mar 2008, 17:51

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and advice. We both feel so upset at the moment and just cant stop worrying about "Cooper". Lets hope everything works out for all of us.
james & Jacquie x.

claire fifi

Post by claire fifi » 14 Mar 2008, 21:23

I am truly shocked that the breeder won't give you a full refund! You mentioned that he is 5 months old but that you have had him only a short while ?

I know that the rescue will find him a new home. I am so sorry for your distress.
Claire and Muppet Image
------------------------------------------

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com