Robust dog toys?

This forum is for posting reviews of dog- and labradoodle-related /products/. Please do not use it for making or soliciting comments about breeders or people (although /most/ breeders are people too!)
lgoldby216

Robust dog toys?

Post by lgoldby216 » 23 Dec 2009, 14:40

Can anyone reccomend any particularly hardy dog toys?

My widget loves soft toys but inevitably pulls them to bits! It's so funny because she is not a destructive dog in any other way, she just seems to love when she gets a new toy finding its weak spot and working on it until it is in pieces!

Her favorite toy is 'Larry The Lobster' a tuffies toy i think...8/10 on the tuffness scale - she loves it! however, she has indeed made her mark on that also!...Larry Lobster now has no legs!

Any toy recommendations wlcome! :)

Madeleine

Re: Robust dog toys?

Post by Madeleine » 23 Dec 2009, 16:08

Hi

We have found the only toy to buy is the kong range. Dylan ruined lots of others. The kong range comes in all shapes and sizes they are more expensive than other toys but do last. Dylan has just chewed bits off one and I bought that 6 or 7 months ago which I think is value for money. Some tennis balls we have found Dylan chews through in literally seconds !!
Have a look on the web, but most pet shops sell them

Madeleine
ImageImage

MUMMYBUCK

Post by MUMMYBUCK » 23 Dec 2009, 17:29

Do what we do, go to the RSPCA charity shop and buy 10p teddies then when the doggies rips the head or leg or arm off sew up the hole and its ready to go again,
another alternative, a nyla bone :D
mummybuck and MegImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 23 Dec 2009, 17:37

Rufus had a fox from Orvis this year and has played with it every day since April :D It is a soft toy without stuffing, quite expensive but good value. He also has an Orvis monkey which has also survived his onslaughts without serious injury.....

Here is Rufus with the fox which looks very realistic....

Katherine
ImageImage

lgoldby216

Post by lgoldby216 » 28 Dec 2009, 16:49

A good idea indeed Mummybuck! Might just do that!

Thanks Madeline - Widget does have a kong...but unfortunately our Staffie likes that more than she does! - that is robust though i do agree - stands up to staffie jaws!

Kate, i had never come across Orvis before? I shall go google it now - that sounds like a winner!

Any more ideas?? :)

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 28 Dec 2009, 18:11

Another vote for 10p charity shop soft toys here - if her favourite thing in all the world is gutting soft toys, why deprive her of the pleasure? <G>

broadloan

Post by broadloan » 21 Feb 2010, 19:36

I am a dog walker as well as doodle owner, and struggled to find toys that were "dog proof" for outdoors. I got fed up buying the standard stuff that lasted a day. However, on ebay I discovered "ruff dawg" toys. I got "The Stick" and "The Twig and Rock". Brilliant!!!! My doodle loves the rock in particular because when you throw it, it jumps around all over the place. The stick is great for tug games as well. I have had them now for a month used by staffie, boxer and my doodles and there is not a tooth mark on them. Highly recommend them...and they aren't too expensive either!!!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Feb 2010, 21:37

I have a roll of fluffy fabric and make my own toys. I just use a rectangle of it, cut out whatever shape I am making and sew round most of it. I use the leftover fabric to stuff it, and sew up the hole. It takes about 10 mins to make, and although they don't last long, I don't feel that I have wasted my money!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

broadloan

Post by broadloan » 22 Feb 2010, 10:49

The other favourite toy of my lot is a piece of rope!!! I make a giant knot at one end, a loop for my hand at the other and it becomes a tug toy or a fetch toy as the bigger the knot the further it goes, the dogs seem to love it, maybe cause it's light in their mouths. Costs me pennies, it's one of those blue ropes you buy from B & Q, and fits in your pocket dead easy

daffodil

Post by daffodil » 01 Mar 2010, 00:54

£1land, 99p stores, poundstretcher & wilkos make some great toys much better than PAH which we found after we had bought him a squeaky blue cow which lasted 2 days before it was decapitated and permanently immobilised :evil:

Now until he gets to 2 I can't see the point of forking out £4 per toy if he's just going to knackered them out. Instead we (+DH) just perform 'open heart surgery' on Buster's victims and hope the damage isn't too severe to make a recovery impossible. I've tried to stroke his toys and say gently but Buster isn't falling for it and when given it just proceeds to wreck it as before... The rope toys do seem to have more life in them though, the good boy tugger £1 from poundstretcher seem to last ages.

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 01 Mar 2010, 07:52

Hiya

From a reccommendation on this thread looked up 'ruff dawg' they sell them on amazon and were very resonable i think the postage cost as much !! my 2 love them and are constantly playing with them, Dylan if he could would have destroyed them in seconds but here we are almost a week later and they look as good as new. At the moment our puppy likes us to chew on !! so early days for her.
ImageImage

Danda

Post by Danda » 01 Mar 2010, 21:54

As Moomin is still only ickle....
I have cut a small hole in an empty water bottle. I put treats in the bottle and screw the lid tightly back on. He spends ages rolling it around the floor hoping a yummy treat will fall out :lol:
ImageImage ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 02 Mar 2010, 07:31

Hiya

We did this for Dylan and when he was little it was the best toy
We did try with Dixie but Dylan grabbed it and within seconds had
it in shreds !!
jelly belly, I think but itsa great idea for puppies
ImageImage