including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 13:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windmills Kennels in Swavesey
PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 07:36 

Hi all,
We went away for the weekend to Legoland with the kids, so Bruno had to go into kennels :cry:
Given that the previous kennels couldn't handle him and openly told me my dog was out of control and they found it hard to deal with him (and I witnessed them kicking him because he was pulling :evil: ) I was very scared of putting him in kennels again. But, this was the only option as he's been with a sitter and he didn't like it, and we had no family to look after him.

Well, the lady that runs it has a Labradoodle herself and says she knows how stubborn and scatty the breed can be, so he will be fine.

I picked him up after 4 days, and they said he is very strong and it took two people to do the transfer between the kennels and the open run, but he was good, although a little mad!! :wink: and they did a little basic training with him every time he was out for his exercise, like trying to calm him down when greeting, 4 feet on the floor at all times, and not pulling on the lead.

Since being at home, I've been able to collar walk him without him being a danger!!

What an achievement!! I spent £62 on boarding him, and this is the cheapest and most effective thing I have done for us to train him to walk on the collar.

He was happy, he came home in great condition, he's a bit calmer on his walks, and my arm doesn't hurt from the pulling!! :D

I'm tempted to board him another few days if only for the training they did with him!!!

Post subject: Re: Windmills Kennels in Swavesey
PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 08:26 

Good boy and well done Bruno.
We were in a similar situation in February. We were going to visit
our eldest daughter who lives in Germany.Due to work and Uni commitments of our son and younger daughter, we felt it was to long a day to leave
Patch and Ted.
We were recommended a Kennel by a few people in our village.
I was really worried about Ted but the girl said she was use to Labradoodles.
Neednt have worried. They had three walks a day were bathed and groomed.
Isnt it lovely when you find a place that is like a second home for your dogs.
Hubby was made up cos he said for what the kennel had cost Ted could have done that value of damage to the house.
They are going back again in November when we are back to Germany.
Ted doodle

Post subject: Re: Windmills Kennels in Swavesey
PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 21:01 

blueboysgirl wrote:

Given that the previous kennels couldn't handle him and openly told me my dog was out of control and they found it hard to deal with him (and I witnessed them kicking him because he was pulling :evil: )

Noooo!!! They want reporting!! And naming and shaming :evil:

However, so glad you had a good experience this time, just goes to show that kennelling is not all doom and gloom that some think it might be: its a matter of finding the right one, which I know, is easier said than done.

I am quite happy to leave Polo at a kennel that was recommended to me,they are very,very good and I first used them when he was 1yo (he's 4 tomorrow!!)