How do you deal with Doodle land mines?

This forum is for posting reviews of dog- and labradoodle-related /products/. Please do not use it for making or soliciting comments about breeders or people (although /most/ breeders are people too!)
suebedo

How do you deal with Doodle land mines?

Post by suebedo » 11 Apr 2013, 09:21

Whenever I am in that shop that should be passed and not entered, AKA Pets at Home, I look at the Dog Loo that they have on the shelf. Many many years ago we had one that as far as I was concerned didn't work very well and smelt! Hubby says that it was fine but there again he can't smell anything including his dressing gown when he set it on fire with his cigarette!!!!!!

A friend also had one several years ago and her opinion was the same as mine.

Thinking that they may have improved in the intervening years, does anyone have one now and how effective are they? Especially interested for doodles on raw food as the land mines are so much smaller and don't contain the things that I suspect are not easy to get rid of.

At the moment we are putting ours into the compost wheelie bin and surround with plant matter but I suspect that the council will complain soon, especially when Florence arrives. I don't want to have to bag it up every day - all that plastic going into land fill and once we get to summer the bins will smell so bad after two weeks in the heat (our collections alternate so we have recycling one week and rubbish the next) that I can't bear the thought!!

Any ideas, thoughts etc. gratefully received.

Sue
ps 2 sleeps till Florence gets here :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Liz!!

Re: How do you deal with Doodle land mines?

Post by Liz!! » 11 Apr 2013, 10:00

You can't put dog waste in compost, it doesn't decompose in the right way.

What we do is buy completely biodegradeable nappy sacks from Boots - they are called 'Naty' disposal sacks, they are for babies' nappies. They are strong, but very soft feeling, they are corn based film and will not leave any residue at all once broken down.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Apr 2013, 13:28

I have high wide hedges, so I lob it on the hedge so that by the time it reaches the ground it is in small pieces, and let it decompose. I also have a lot of clay in my soil, so any changes to it's ph can only be good from my perspective!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 11 Apr 2013, 14:17

Bid, that must be a lot of lobbing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Apr 2013, 16:00

suzi23173 wrote:Bid, that must be a lot of lobbing! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not really, because one of the pluses about feeding raw food is small hard non-smelly poo!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 11 Apr 2013, 18:02

Well I went to "that shop" today and purchased the dog loo. My daughter took one look at it when we got home and asked how we would train the doodles to sit on the loo! She is 23!!!!!! I had to explain whilst laughing at her that we still had to do the collections every day. It's a worry - she will be teaching teenagers maths next year, heaven help us all :lol:

I'll review it on here once the weather warms up and it is full to the brim

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 11 Apr 2013, 18:28

Ooh Tess! Charlie finks you are wufferly! Love the new pic!!

Re poo. I collect it from the garden and take to the poo bin in the park. I remember my friend trying to clear her dog's poo when on a walk... He went in the middle of the path. Well, she got a stick and flicked it. Badly... It ended up hitting her on the head!!

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 11 Apr 2013, 18:33

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that's why you should never flick poo!

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 11 Apr 2013, 20:40

Haha suebedo - I was thinking along the same lines as your daughter and I'm 35! Although I thought it must be some kind of 'pit' that they go in, rather than a toilet they sat on :lol:
Rachel & Roma

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 11 Apr 2013, 21:17

Thanks Charlie :wink: Tess sends you a slobberly kiss- she is a terrible flirt. :roll:

I can remember my cousins laughing :lol: like mad at my nan for saying "how are you going to train him to use it?" when they got a dog loo :roll:
Mind you, she also used to ask how on earth they trained the Dulux dog to sing on the advert! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Calgary

Post by Calgary » 11 Apr 2013, 21:32

A friend of a friend had a dog loo and because it was in clay soil, when it rained a lot the water didn't drain out of the loo quick enough - sorry to be disgusting but I think it gave a new meaning to the term 'floater'! :lol:

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 12 Apr 2013, 16:44

Our neighbour buries his in the yard. We bag up Barney's in nappy sacks.

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 12 Apr 2013, 19:05

But which bin do you put it in? :?:
I have a great long arm nippy pooper scooper and a nappy bucket with a lid. I put a biodegradable bin bag in it and carry it round and collect them up. I can put the lid on if I'm not emptying it. When there's a few, I put them in the landfill bin. Feels like a yucky thing to do but what choice is there? Ew :x
I've also tried the flicking over the hedge thing too but they seem to go in all directions! :roll:
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

julieju

Post by julieju » 13 Apr 2013, 00:23

We had a border collie when I was growing up - I have very happy childhood memories of watching my dad get the hoe out and flick dog poo over the hedge into the field behind our house. He turned it into quite a sport, they would sail high up into the air, wheeeeeeeeee. :lol: xx
Julie and Aero xx

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 13 Apr 2013, 07:18

This subject has made me lol, we had one of those dog loos 20 odd years ago but it didn't work because we have clay soil here and it didn't drain away so it was filled in and the old method used of nappy sacks and then John with an extra strong plastic carrier walking to local park bins as fast as he can not stopping with anyone for a chat !!!
We also had a friend who was extremely interested in how to train the dog !!! She also thought a dishwasher spun the plates dry !!!!
Now that ours go out 2 a day with the lighter evenings the poo in the garden has lessened.
The dog loo if it works would be great and will be I interested to hear how you get on with it.
ImageImage