including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 20:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Car travel equipment...
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 15:25 

Have been looking at the chart, Beerock, very interesting. I don't think any of them are sold here, that's the problem. the one that is best has to be held by a seat belt and two fix points that i don't think british cars come with...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 19:37 

Liz!! wrote:
Have been looking at the chart, Beerock, very interesting. I don't think any of them are sold here, that's the problem. the one that is best has to be held by a seat belt and two fix points that i don't think british cars come with...

I looked at the 'Sleepypod.com' website and the 'clickit' harness (http://www.sleepypod.com/clickit). The installation instructions are here: http://sleepypod-images.com/CU-i.pdf

The fix points you're questioning are for the LATCH system. This is a good explanation of how it works: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/vehicles/the_latch_system.html

I suspect your cars will have the LATCH points... but they're usually somewhat hidden in the crease of the seat back and bottom. Sometimes there will be a small circle logo on the upholstery to indicate where it's hiding. Somewhere I saw 2002 as being the year these became standard equipment. Hopefully Lucas hasn't been involved in the LATCH parts fabrication over your way and you will be able to trust it... :wink:

Overall, this harness looks like a good system. I'm a little surprised that they aren't making use of an upper LATCH point as well though.

I note that they offer a kit that allows you to make use of the tie down points in the back of an SUV or similar vehicle if you don't want the dog to ride on the back seat.

This link (http://sleepypod.com/stores) should let you set the UK and see the list of stores in your area.

I think I'm going to see about measuring Bodhi for one of these... the one he has doesn't really fit him anymore and doesn't seem to do well in his weight class either (E-Z Rider).

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 22:01 

Well, I have researched round this and have it on good authority that the sleepypod system, while being excellent in a crash round a dummy, is no good for an actual live dog. They turn, you see. And get very tangled in the three lines attaching them to the seat - which only work if the dog is facing the front. Lola does not face front - she turns in her harness at the minute and gets tangled, so I can quite believe it.

We are going with a system which has been recommended, the car harness we mentioned above in my last comment and the solvit car/seat booster to keep her in a good position (although not just facing the front which would be cruel and impossible).

Luckily we already have the Solvit car seat.

The harness above did well for small dogs and the only crit was that it allowed the dog to rotate - but so did all the others, apart from the sleepypod, which doesn't allow the dog to move at all at any time, and if they do, tangles them all up, meaning you have to stop and untangle them.

In the car seat you can also clip them to that so there is another point, so hopefully rotation would be kept to a minimum.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 23:18 

Looking at the test result PDF I linked earlier, I see that the Bergan failed catastrophically in the large dog category, but not for smaller dogs. It shows the results for all sizes as 'not optimal', essentially because of the tether that allows movement and 'harness deformation'. While the dog doesn't get tangled up as easily, the length of the tether does allow the dog to be the tetherball inside the car. However, if you're faced with the choice of the constant detangling of Lola or this risk, you're probably better off with the Bergan! It's too easy to say 'not this trip, it's just short', because of the tangling bother... and then there is no protection at all! Lola's pretty small, so her risk isn't likely as great as a larger dog.

The complete failure rules the Bergan out for Bodhi. And the E-Z Rider we use now has the seat belt fed through the back of it (like the Sleepypod), which tends to limit movement. Bodhi is used to that and doesn't try to squirm around. He either sits up and watches the world go by, or lies down flat and nods off. The LATCH connections wouldn't be a problem for him and would actually be more likely to be a feature in our eyes by keeping him lined up straight! :wink:

Point of interest... the Bergan video, on the page you linked originally, shows them connecting the tether to a LATCH point! So if you're unsure of what they look like, scan for that scene!

What I find more than a little disappointing is that there isn't a product on the market, according to the testing group, that really works as well as we'd hope and expect... :?

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 23:28 

I know, it's extraordinary that many of the harnesses have had no testing at all!

I think it's the fact Lola is so small that allows her to tangle - she steps through the harness tether to the seat belt point and then goes round again (circling before settling) and ends up with the tether across her - which in the event of even a small bang would result in her getting strangled.

We've been struggling with these issues for ages - she has to be close to me, the car cages are out as they will keep her too far away from me to alert, and they don't keep the dog secure anyway, only confined.

The solvit seat has been the best for position, so I was thrilled to find out this company have tried all sorts and have settled on the car seat combined with the Bergen as being the best solution.

We always put a harness on her even though it does tangle but OH does get fed up with having to stop the car leap out and detangle all the time!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 22:43 

Blimey, what a can of very knowledgeable worms I've opened!

I think that what Beeeerock refers to as Latch system is what we call Isofix. There are a couple of short rails buried between the seat back and the seat pad of each back seat which have been introduced on most cars - certainly our 2003 Honda Civic has them. They're mostly used to lock children's car seats in place - you just push the back connectors of the car seat firmly against them and it locks pretty irrevocably onto them until you release them.

It's interesting that someone hasn't so far come up with a good, practical use of these strong mounting points for a dog travel system. But then, it wasn't that long ago that we let our kids roam freely around the back seat at 70mph, was it!?

I guess if we give it five or ten years someone will have cracked it and come up with an easy-to-use, idiot-proof, highly flexible restraint for travelling dogs of all sizes. And made a fat profit into the bargain - it may as well be you, Beerock! :lol:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 01:48 

Roodlepippin wrote:
Blimey, what a can of very knowledgeable worms I've opened!

I think that what Beeeerock refers to as Latch system is what we call Isofix. There are a couple of short rails buried between the seat back and the seat pad of each back seat which have been introduced on most cars - certainly our 2003 Honda Civic has them. They're mostly used to lock children's car seats in place - you just push the back connectors of the car seat firmly against them and it locks pretty irrevocably onto them until you release them.

It's interesting that someone hasn't so far come up with a good, practical use of these strong mounting points for a dog travel system. But then, it wasn't that long ago that we let our kids roam freely around the back seat at 70mph, was it!?

I guess if we give it five or ten years someone will have cracked it and come up with an easy-to-use, idiot-proof, highly flexible restraint for travelling dogs of all sizes. And made a fat profit into the bargain - it may as well be you, Beerock! :lol:

I saw 'Isofix' mentioned somewhere in my travels, so I think that's exactly the same thing as what I know as LATCH - you're absolutely correct.

The system Liz is going to try shows the Isofix point being used with the tether, but recommended only up to a certain weight. The Clickit harness uses two Isofix points (one on each side of the dog) and also the actual seat belt fed through the main part of the harness. The Isofix points keep the dog from launching while the seatbelt provides the main restraint (or so it appears to me). If you don't need to worry about the tangling problems like Lola creates, I think the Clickit is the better solution. Certainly for larger dogs. Bodhi's head almost reaches the headliner in my car when he sits, so imagine how far he could fly if on a tether. He absolutely needs to be strapped in with little slack in the restraint system, or he'll be in the front seat before the tether stops stretching.

If anyone is interested but can't find a supplier in the UK, this link will take you to a company located very close to me I contacted, owned by some escapees from your island - they ship happily over the pond and donate a portion of their proceeds to dog charities: http://www.ukuscadoggie.com/collections/travel/products/clickit-dog-safety-harness-by-sleepypod

I'm still pondering how to make a better mousetrap and fund my retirement to a tropical island though... there must be some possible improvements! :wink:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 16:11 

Just received the Bergen harness today... VERY clever fitting, never seen anything like it, very, very clever... that has been a problem actually, getting one that fitted her. This fits exactly now it is adjusted.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2014, 13:11 

Omg I love that pet tube!! :o How clever!
Auz loves the car, but also loves looking out of the window, so maybe the tube isn't the best thing for him
Still cool though

J x

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 12:59 

After a lot of expense buying stuff that didn't work for us or fit the car! we bought an Orvis Nylon Folding Travel Crate
- it's a soft crate made by Orvis, it's very light and it folds flat very easily, it has a zip opening and is easy-peasy to pop in and out of the car, Bentley has travelled very happily since a pup - it was the best thing we bought. Costs £99 or thereabouts depending on size.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 13:06 

Jack travels on the back seat of our outlander , to protect it and him we have what i can only describe as a hamock. we put his harness on and that in turn clips into the seat belt fastener. in the event of sharp breaking or impact he cannot fall between the two rows of seats as the hamock will not allow it.

Be excellent to each other and PARTY ON DOOODS

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 17:24 

Been looking into some sort of way of restraining Roker when in the car and thinking the Bergen could be the way forward for us. Initially he is mainly travelling in my 2003 Ford Focus but as he gets bigger and we plan on taking him on holiday with us we are planning on getting rid of it and getting something bigger so whatever system i get needs to be able to swap cars in the near future and cope with him growing as he is still only 16 weeks so plenty of growing still to do i would have thought.

Checking the size guides it looks like Roker is currently annoyingly in the wrong place between the small and medium harnesses. He is currently around 9kg which is about 20lb but i cant see him taking long to get to the 25lb size where medium is recommended as below :-

Xlarge: for pets 80-150 lbs -
Large: for pets 50-80 lbs -
Medium: for pets 25-50 lbs -
Small: for pets 10-25 lbs

Just wondering if for a short while i can get away with the bigger harness and he will grow into it. The main journey will be July when we intend on taking him camping in France with us.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 17:56 

I would strongly suggest you read through the crash testing results I posted earlier in this thread (link). The Bergen appears to be somewhat functional for smaller dogs and Lola fits that size range. As well, Liz has some specific requirements that might preclude some other restraint models. However, based on what I've learned from the test report, I'd go straight to the Sleepypod Clickit system as it's the only one that *sort of* passed the crash tests. The Bergen is a fail for larger dogs.

As far as an interim solution, it sounds like a hand-me-down program amongst those of you close enough to make it worthwhile might be useful! :)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2014, 20:33 

Thank you for all your helpful advice much appreciated.

Kerry&scooby