including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 05:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wellies/Dog walking footwear at outofthecity.co.uk
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 15:22 

Being a first time dog owner, the last time I owned a pair of wellies was when I was about 7 ! Not knowing what size i'd be or what brand to buy, I didn't want to order online and pay a fortune in returns if the wellies didn't fit!

outofthecity.co.uk has a website but also a shop at their warehouse where you can go in and try on anything you see online! They are based near Chorley so if you're not too far away then they're well worth a trip.

I never would have guessed there are so many different brands/styles of wellies out there, and all fit slightly differently.

The main thing that made me want to write a review was the customer service. Richard, the owner, was brilliantly knowledgeable and gave me fantastic impartial advice. Whether you're wanting to spend £20 on a pair of basic wellies or £350 on a pair of top of the range Chameau wellies/boots, they have every possible style/brand you can think of, and because the shop is based at the warehouse, they have pretty much everything in stock in all sizes to try on.

It was also interesting listening to the manufacturing background behind some of the styles; for example, reading up on popular wellies for dog walking, it seemed to me that Hunter used to be the popular choice 5-7 years back, but they then moved their manufacturing over to China and the quality went shockingly bad, to the point where people's wellies were only lasting a matter of months. Now, Hunter have opened up a new manufacturing plant and the quality has apparently improved, but another company had bought Hunter's old tooling from Scotland and started manufacturing their own wellies on Hunter's old tooling. Meaning that there is another brand out there at a fraction of Hunter's price, but of the good original Hunter welly standard.

So many people could have tried to sell me a premium brand product, but Richard was brilliant and didn't try to rip me off at all.

I went away a very happy customer! Highly recommend a visit for anyone in the area!

Post subject: Re: Wellies/Dog walking footwear at outofthecity.co.uk
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 20:41 

So go on - tell us - what is the cheaper Hunter-type welly called?

I have used their website in the past and they were very helpful, only when I had to return a pair (Le Chameau!) which perished in under 6 months, they didn't understand that even leaking they were better than nothing, and as a professional dogwalker I couldn't just send them back before the replacements arrived :(

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2015, 23:49 

Hmm, off the top of my head I can't remember as they didn't fit me! I went away with a pair of Barbour. But my Mum wants a pair so when I go back in I will find out and report back!

Hmm yes most people only own one pair at a time I suppose and I'm guessing would be lost without them!!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2015, 14:15 

Take a notebook, Emski!

I may have used them perhaps when I ordered mine online, I can't remember. But I recommend Tuffa (leather) and L'aigle (soft rubber).