including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 17 Jun 2019, 06:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New member looking for advice on puppy and dog crates
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2016, 23:20 

Hi All

We collect Scout (born xmas eve) in 3 weeks time and are planning on crate training her. Does anyone have any pointers on good quality crates and what size/s should I buy?

Also any views on a quality dry food?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Post subject: Re: New member looking for advice on puppy and dog crates
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 04:12 

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your new pup - you know we love our puppy pics on here, don't you? :wink:
We used a crate for our first puppy, although I also got him a play pen... I could put his bed in it but he had room to move around, and toilet away from his bedding if necessary. But I guess it depends on whether you have space for it.
Our crate is a Savic (bought from Pets at Home) - it has two doors, one at the front, one at the side. We got it for our previous dog, so it was handy that it fit our pup! I suppose it depends on how big your doodle is going to grow - you can always partition off part of a larger crate to allow her to 'grow into' it.
Others will be able to advise you on the best dry foods, but remember to ask your breeder what your puppy has been weaned onto, as it is advisable to keep them on the same food whilst they settle in.
Looking forward to seeing your new addition! Try and bank some sleep before you pick her up... :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 16:01 

We don't use a crate, but the best dry food we've found is Canagan salmon. We had no end of troubles finding a kibble to suit Dude. It seems expensive but you use far less than the other brands we tried. Anny

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 16:30 

Thanks for the advice folks, truly appreciated. Pics will follow once I figure out how to post them.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 18:35 

Welcome to the crazy world of doodles!

I don't crate pups either so no help on that. Re the food, the things sto look for are the first listed ingredient should be a named meat, so beef, lamb, chicken etc, but not "meat" or "poultry". No by-products or derivatives either, although meal is not too bad. Then look for one without grain - no corn or maize or wheat, and preferably no rice either. Potato is OK, but should not be the first named ingredient. As few additives as possible, and you can more or less ignore any ingredients listed after the first animal fat as they wil be in too small quantities to be significant.

Top quality dry foods that spring to mind are Orijen, Acana, Taste of the Wild, Canagan, Millies Wolfheart, but that is not an exhaustive list

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 18:45 

If you're really in to finding the best food for your dood, check out the various raw feeding websites/FB pages... Otherwise, this is a good site for checking the rating of different dry foodstuffs -
http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016, 21:42 

Thanks, have ordered orijen puppy and will see how she gets on.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 00:56 

Willow will soon be 6 months
She started on Royal Canine (vet recommended/promoted) but I switched to Orijen puppy and is thriving
We have used a crate with her at night time only
Loaned from a friend but wedge it in the doorway to utility room so she could toilet if necessary in the utility room as it seemed to distress her to soil/ wet her bed
During the day she often preferred to sleep in her travel carrier but never needed to be shut in
We extended the time we left her and she has never had an accident provided we took her outside regularly
The first few weeks are hard but they grow so fast you soon forget!!
Good luck
Debby