including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 04:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brush suggestions
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 13:10 

Hi, I've been managing with the old dog brushes and combs we have for the time being but we really need to get Mabel her own brushes/combs now as the old ones are on their last legs and not really suitable.
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend something appropriate. I'm looking for something good quality which will last and her coat is quite wooly and clumpy in places, particularly at the back end with an undercoat and soft waves and tufts elsewhere. She does shed but not badly, the house isnt covered in hairs but if you pick her up she will leave some hairs on your clothes and you can tell where she sits in the car!
I was wondering about a furminator or a miracle coat slicker, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Post subject: Re: Brush suggestions
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2016, 15:30 

I used a furminator on Huggy who was broken coated but on my curly boys I use a slicker brush and a Poodle comb.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 16:16 

Watch those clumping bits as could mean the fur is starting to knot and will pull on the skin. If she will need to be clipped when older go for visits to a friendly groomer before the big day.
I was recommended one of these at a decent pet shop.Mikki undercoat rake

http://www.mikkipet.com/?mikki_grooming ... hick-coats

Admit i was skeptical yet seems to work. One i have doesnt look quite like this but the main thing is each 'pin' in the rake oscillates. I also have a comb on same principal.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 00:18 

I use the same as Linny - a slicker and a poodle comb. You have to make sure you get all the way to the skin when brushing, otherwise a layer of matts builds up. I also take my pups to the groomer at a very early age to get them used to the noises and equipment that will be used on them - and that is a great opportunity to check with the gtroomer how you are doing with the grooming and to ask for tips.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 18:17 

Hello there, not been on for a while.

My Australian Labradoodle is one year old. She is turning into a lovely dog, no problem at all. My question is this ; what kind of brush would be best for her? She has a very curly coat and has been to groomers several times, but I would like advice on how to care for her coat at home. I have heard Le Pooch brushes are very good, but before I invest, I would like your opinions.

Thank you

Alice and Mhari