including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 15:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Remembering our Barney
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 08:35 

It doesn't seem possible that it's one year to the day since our beloved airedale terrier, Barney, had to be put to sleep at the age of 6 1/2 years.

He was such a loving and loyal boy. He was very hard work when he was a pup but it paid dividends when he grew up.

We took him on many weekends away, mainly to Suffolk and Norfolk and he loved it !

Unfortunately in the last few days of his short life we noticed he was having trouble having a pee/poo and would mess indoors (which he never did!) so it was a trip to the vet

The first trip saw him given some anti biotics and we weren't at all happy with the diagnosis. Went back the following day and saw a different vet who took him in straight away.

He stayed there for his remaining five days. On drips, and a drain fed thru his willy, which we were told was stitched in but he still managed to pull it out with his back leg. Tests finally revealed he had what everyone suspected and that was prostate cancer (He had been castrated and we thought only 'in tact' dogs got it)

Myself and Kim went to see him on the final day after they had removed all the tubes etc and spent a little time with him trying very hard not to show our emotions but it was extremely hard as you can imagine. He had lost half of his body weight and was very weak. I think we spent about an hour or so with him. Our two daughters also came to see him and were there when he was finally put to sleep in my arms

We now have his ashes at home and a picture of him on the fireplace lest we forget

We were totally distraught as anyone else here can relate to having lost a good friend.

Our saving grace has of course been Briar. Kim tells me I've got myself far too attached to her and it will be the 'death of me' when she goes ! But I can't help that.........................

Sorry to have wittled on but really wanted to share our memory of barney with you all

Our barney

Post subject: Re: Remembering our Barney
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 08:57 

Aw, he looks lovely. So sorry to hear about that, and happy you now have Briar. No love is wasted, it's precious however long you enjoy it, because love between you and your dog is shared.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 09:17 

What a lovely dog he was. And what a wonderful, if too short, life he had with you.

RIP Barney.

Jo

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 10:57 

We see an airedale on our walks most days and she is absolutely beautiful. Does her best to get her nose into my pockets! unfortunately our doggie companions aren't with us long enough but as Liz says it's not wasted love. What would be a waste if if we kept our distance emotionally because we knew it had to end one day.
When i had my rottie PTS after 12 1/2 years i was heartbroken but even as we walked out of the vet I said that I would never say never again because that would be like saying it wasn't worth it - and it so was!!!
6 1/2 years seems such a short time. I feel for you. I don't think you get over it, dog or person. you just learn to live with it and in time it gets easier to live with. I'm crying myself as I type this, thinking of my many lost dogs, my lovely dad and my wonderful sister who i will soon lose to cancer. It was all worth the pain. Take care xx

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 11:36 

Hope you have some great memories of Barney, he looks beautiful.
Our pets are part of the family and the loss of them hits us as much if not more than a family member or friend.

Sending you licks and cuddles from Murphy.

I'm just off to re apply my mascara which is now half way down my face :D

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 13:01 

I also lost my 10 year old yorkie last year ,he went 95 per cent blind at 8 so it was hard work and cause he was such a carracter it was hard to see him like that.He once killed an hegog from garden he ripped it apart also kept my cats on there toes ,but allin all we loved him he died of kidney faileir it was hard to seehim like that it was though hes sprit had gone .So we had to have him put to sleep but at the end it was a blessing he didnt even know we were there very sad , but i look at it like this he made way for us to take care of another dog which is our dexter both totaly different but got some things in common .rip our little chester.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2011, 13:50 

Oh Mark, I am so sorry that you lost Barney so young :( We too lost our beloved Golden Retriever Alfie (nearly two years ago) at 6 years of age; he had a brain tumour and nothing could be done. He went to work with my hubby every day and I know he still misses him terribly. Time does ease the pain but none of us will forget our pets that have passed.

Barney was such a handsome chap... raise a glass to him and give Briar extra hugs today xx

ImageImage