a mate for Elsie.

Use this section to locate siblings and other dogs related to your own
davidjball

a mate for Elsie.

Post by davidjball » 01 Aug 2012, 17:38

Elsie is my rather Beautiful Yellow Labrador (cant work out how to add pics??we have decided we would like her to have a labradoodle litter when she comes into season next (anytime now) we want her to be mated to the largest standard poodle possible, she is a top pedigree boxy , solid lab, her mother was a show dog and Elsie has her grace and looks. could anyone advise if pedigree poodle stud dogs are available or if poodle breeders dont like the idea? i know from experience that some lab breeders disapprove of labradoodles!! having owned and loved one of these dogs for years i do not agree and cannot wait for Esie to produce what i know will be a stunning litter :P

Bid

Re: a mate for Elsie.

Post by Bid » 01 Aug 2012, 17:49

There is a site aimed at helping labradoodle breeders - http://www.doodlepost.net/login

I assume that Elsie has had all the health tests she needs before she has pups - if so then you can post on Doodlepost and other breeders will share their experiences of finding suitable health tested studs.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Bid

Post by Bid » 01 Aug 2012, 17:55

Another thought - a lot of labradoodles are backcrossed to poodles which makes them very curly. My black doodle Beamish was an F3b labradoodle crossed to a lab. Imo that makes a beautiful labradoodle - opens up the possibilities for Elsie.

To post a photo I find it easiest to upload them into Photobucket. Then you copy the img code from there into your post on here - including the brackets.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 01 Aug 2012, 18:37

I think Bid's thoughts are really interesting
If you consider a mating to a big labradoodle (read up on the different generations etc) you would have a super litter with amazing coats.
I have two F1 doodles but met some different generational doodles at Doodlefest and they are fantastic
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 01 Aug 2012, 20:01

Show labs are pretty solidly built, so I'd be careful to choose a stud with strong legs, there have been cases of leg breaks in labradoodles and you want to minimise the chance of getting pups with thin poodle legs and heavy lab bodies. Crossing to a standard you'll get very large dogs (which I adore, but a lot of people are looking for something smaller), you might want to consider crossing to a miniature.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Ben

Post by Ben » 02 Aug 2012, 19:24

Crossing a large lab to a mini is completely wrong, and in no way would guarantee mini pups.

The best thing to do is make sure that Elsie has all her eye, hip and elbow tests first of all. Then if you do considering back crossing from a labradoodle, check that his lab side has no family connections to Elsie.

There are a significant number of large bouncy doodles coming into rescue so please make sure that you are confident of having long term family homes that can cope with a highly intelligent, dog that can reach c.48kg and c.40" in height.