Experts on Neutering please

Use this section to locate siblings and other dogs related to your own
Jolono

Experts on Neutering please

Post by Jolono » 11 Mar 2013, 10:20

Hi there _ I am sure there are experts out there on this subject because I have a lot of questions :lol:
Chester is now 9 months showing signs of sexual maturity and humping the teddy bear is becoming a problem so hubby and I are considering getting him neutured. However we was wondering if its possible to use him as a stud first - or is giving him any kind of a sex life a bad idea ie something he will never forget. I understand that this would stop the possibility of testicular cancer but someone has also told me that complete dogs also smell worse than ones that have been done.
So, please may I have your opinions on to castrate or not - that is the question :D

Bid

Re: Experts on Neutering please

Post by Bid » 11 Mar 2013, 10:56

First of all, before using him as a stud, you must get some health tests done - eyes, elbows and hips are the minimum. The elbows and hips can't be done until he is a year old which may help make your decision, and obviously come at a price.

My view is that if possible a dog should be allowed to mature fully both mentally and physically before he is castrated - and that is 2 years old more or less, however I know from experience that it isn't always possible to keep an entire male to that age. With my youngest doodle I went for a chemical castration first, to be certain that his unwanted behaviours would stop - it was a success and Beamsh was neutered last month - just a couple of weeks before his second birthday (which is today!). If he hadn't been such a pain I would have preferred not to neuter him, as I believe the benefits of keeping them entire are greater than those gained by neutering. Physically, the benefits of delaying are best mentioned here http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... ering.aspx

and from a behavioural point of view there is a good discussion here http://domesticatedmanners.tripod.com/id30.html

As for the smell - I didn't notice it with Beamish, but I expect some breeders with stud dogs can give a better view on that
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 11 Mar 2013, 12:48

Poppy is being done when she is six months before her first season.. she has been humping Teddy's for a long time lol embarrassing if we have visitors xxx :shock:
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 11 Mar 2013, 19:52

Agree with Bid. The advice is that bitches should have their first season and then be spayed I think some three months afterwards. I had my dog castrated at six months and he is gangly and underconfident. Having spoken to the dog trainer she does not agree with dogs being castrated until they are at least two as they need the hormones etc for proper development. Unfortunately I went on the vet's advice rather than doing my own research, and the vets are all in favour of dogs being done ASAP.

I know plenty of spayed and castrated dogs who continue to hump. Think it is a dominance thing. My brother's lab still gives her bed and teddy a good seeing to, and she is 11 and was spayed at 18 months!

Salsis

Post by Salsis » 11 Mar 2013, 21:29

My friend feels certain that the bladder problems her collie has are due to being spayed too early (ie before her first season) does this happen frequently?
My plan is to wait until Daisy has had her first season.
Daisy Doodle & Sal

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Mar 2013, 23:22

Salsis wrote:My friend feels certain that the bladder problems her collie has are due to being spayed too early (ie before her first season) does this happen frequently?.
Yes - urinary incontinance is a possible side-effect of spaying, and it is believed that if the bitch has a season then the urinary tract gets exposure to some oestrogen, which give the sphincter muscle more tone
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Salsis

Post by Salsis » 12 Mar 2013, 07:46

Thanks Bid that makes sense.
Daisy Doodle & Sal

Jolono

Post by Jolono » 12 Mar 2013, 09:47

Thanks for your comments everyone. I had never heard of dogs becoming gangly if neutered too early so at least this has taken the urgency away for now. It seems everyone is in agreement that 9 months is too early and, to be honest, I would rather listen to you on here than than the vets who sometimes have ulterior motives !

McDoodle

Post by McDoodle » 12 Mar 2013, 23:47

From what I have read it is better for a large dog to finish growing before being neutered. For a large Doodle this may be 18 months to 2 years old.