including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 16:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trips to Ireland
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 21:15 

We were convinced to take my lovely Roza to Ireland by a picture of a lovely cottage in Co Mayo, the owners welcomed well behaved pets(as many cottages to rent in Ireland are dog friendly) . Indeed when we arrived the owners were very nice & the cottage was terrific, the couple whose house we went to for directions were great when we got lost, they drove their own car in front to guide us to our destination. Roza struck up a `nose to nose` friendship with a Donkey in the next field.! What a great start ! I used to go to Ireland when I was in my early 20s,that was 40 odd years ago, but my wife had never been further than Dublin. After the first day things went downhill rather fast. The accomodation might be `dog friendly` however nowhere else is! They do not allow dogs where food is being served except outside. One day in Westport a Hotel advertised an outdoor heated smoking area, I asked if we could take Roza in that area & have a bite to eat. No chance! My wife went off with Roza & I ducked into a scruffy pub for a glass of the `dark stuff` . Now this was the type of place you wiped your feet when you left, so when Roza & wife turned up I asked if they could join me. OOOOH NOOOO!!!! NO DOGS!!! There was no food anywhere about. This happened so many times I lost patience & we did not bother trying after 10 days. I do not leave my Roza locked up in the car ! The same applies to the Ferry company , guide dogs & assistance dogs are allowed on board, others `locked up in the car` ( I have never understood the difference) One other point, on more than 1 occasion we came across people both on the ferry & in the pubs we were not allowed in with Roza, that hummed more than a barbers shop quartet ( if you get my drift), We will never return to Ireland, sad because I love the place & the people, their attitude to dogs is disgracefull, One Irish lady dog owner said that they were `uncivilised`! I would also encourage any `dood`owner to avoid at all cost! It will only end in tears & a lot of wasted money! :

Post subject: Re: Trips to Ireland
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 21:40 

Thanks, Roza and family for that information. I would have been as annoyed as you! I've had a similar issue recently trying to find a holiday lodge for us, and I've learned there's ' dog friendly' ( for a price) , but with more restrictions than a 1970's Blackpool landlady, and proper ' dog friendly' where the company understands that your dog is a member of your family, and treats them as such. We've booked with one such company, and can't wait for our first holiday with our Dex Dood! X

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2014, 22:09 

We went to Ireland a couple of years ago to deal with my Mum's ashes. I put Paddy in one of the crates supplied if passengers don't want to leave their dogs in the car. It was like Dante's inferno - hellish! The noise and heat down there was awful and I felt so bad leaving Paddy and his Westie cousins down there.

After that though, everything went well. We took over a B&B in Waterford who welcomed Paddy and my sister's 2 dogs and they even were allowed in the dining room with us but I suppose as we had the whole place, there was no-one else who would be bothered. We found the pubs were fine as long as we stayed in the bar areas. We then moved onto rented house in County Clare and it was very dog friendly, the owners didn't seem to mind 3 nutty dogs charging around their house. Pubs there too were OK.

I know what you mean though about dog friendly versus dog tolerant. I do make sure that whenever we book accommodation now that they actually like dogs.

Don't give up on Ireland; maybe you just need to research places more carefully as we have learnt to do.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 02:10 

Just to clear up a point about the intollerence shown to dogs in Ireland, we were told that it was `illegal` to have dogs where people were served food. Indeed one of only 2 places we managed to take my lovely Roza into was owned by an Irish lady who had just returned from OZ after many years. She spent a fortune bringing her dogs back to Ireland, she bought the pud/diner & the locals complained about her `animals` being on the premises. The only reason we were allowed in was she asked the 4 or 5 people in the dining area if they were bothered, no they were not bothered, they were all English visitors! So sad that such a wonderful country has let itself down by this attitude, and Ferry companies are no better ! Maybe if every `DOG & FAMILY` refused to visit or travel by ferry this narrow minded attitude might be reversed ! I live in hope ! Shame on you Ireland & Stenna Line !!!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 13:41 

I have also heard that the Irish are not dog friendly people,our local cats and dogs home (bath cats and dogs ) do regular runs to ireland rescuing abandoned and unwanted dogs.
Ferry companies are also a disgrace ! I dog died just recently on P&O ferries as it was locked in the car and the owners were not permitted to check on it and in this heat !

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2014, 18:08 

Cocochanel wrote:
I have also heard that the Irish are not dog friendly people,our local cats and dogs home (bath cats and dogs ) do regular runs to ireland rescuing abandoned and unwanted dogs.
Ferry companies are also a disgrace ! I dog died just recently on P&O ferries as it was locked in the car and the owners were not permitted to check on it and in this heat !

People need to be made aware of everything you have written, stop going on ferry trips, stop going on vacation to Ireland , I am so annoyed I`m almost at a loss for words. We met an English guy in Co Mayo (retired) , he was a former dog trainer living over there. He was disgusted with the treatment of dogs. He said it was not until about 15 yrs ago that there was anything like the RSPCA in Ireland, dogs because they are left to their own devices become unmanagable & are just put in the dog pound, someone picks them up & the cycle is repeated. Now all dogs are tarred with the same brush. No wonder our stay was a nightmare & our ferry crossing even worse! Cheers ROZA & family

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 14:16 

I'm very annoyed about this post I live in Northern Ireland and would hate to think that everybody on this forum thinks that the irish people as a whole are animal abusers! There are many countries in this world who are far from good to there animals not just Ireland! So I would like to thank everyone here who has given me advice and comments over the past while I've been posting but I'm afraid I will no longer be posting on this forum! So goodbye and good luck to you all
Donna and ally doodle

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2014, 14:30 

Sorry to hear about Ireland; it's good to know for future. One place to consider which might surprise you is France. When Bella and I went on our travels last year, it was almost a silly question to ask 'are dogs allowed.' It would be like asking if Children or Old People were welcome! Italy was also good, but not quite as welcoming as France. At 25kg, Bella's no handbag pooch!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 20:23 

We're off to Ireland with Murphy for half term.

We're staying with friends for two nights and have booked a dog friendly house for three nights with one last night in a dog friendly B&B.

Will let you know how we get on when we return, but I don't hold out much hope after reading this post :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2014, 21:03 

Perhaps Mark would allow some editing here to make clear this is southern Ireland, a completely different country to Northern ireland, before anyone else is upset?

We have been to NI plenty of times with Lola and it has been fine.

The difference between an assistance dog and a family pet is that they have been through years of intensive training as to how to behave in restaurants etc - they have learned to sit under chairs, not to beg, solicit attention or anything else, not to jump up, not to get in the way, not to sniff people's shopping, bags, not to wee inside whatever the type of establishment.

Believe me, you might think your pet would behave well inside anywhere, I can tell you that when you are actually in public inside places, it's not so cut and dried!

For instance, for some reason Lola took ages learning not to wee or poo in Ikea, B&Q ec. something about warehouse type-shops made her unable to understand they were 'inside'.

If a dog wees on the deck on a ship, into the wood, it would soon smell like a public lavatory. We often find dog wee on the floor in our local Pets at Home. Pet dogs are not the same as assistance dogs.

However, I do think they should find some way of keeping them out of the cars which is ridiculous.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2014, 17:24 

There must be a vast difference betweem South and NI, I have heard good things about NI as regards pets, and I am sure I must have ruffled a few feathers when I wrote my original account of our `disaster` of a holiday in Ireland with Roza. I must make it clear, we were in Southern Ireland. The disappointment was was made worse because I love the country and its people. So sad !

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 17:07 

You're not filling me with much hope Roza!, :roll: :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2014, 21:18 

Sorry to hear about your trip. We always go to Southern Ireland with our son living there. We have never had a problem with the doodles. The peopls are lovely and the place itself.
Maybe we have just always been lucky.
So sad to hear you will not be returning.

Bee Ziggy & Bowie

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 07:43 

We are in Galway at the moment, and have just spent 5 nights in a dog friendly rental in Westport.
I was very anxious, having read the previous posts, pleased to say, it's not been too bad.
We came over from Hollyhead to Dub on the Jonathan Swift. We booked a kennel, with the thought that we'd see what they were like and keep our option open to leave him in the car.
They were not kennels, more individual crates, of various sizes,on the car deck, and you are not permitted to go check during the journey. The workmen, were a little unreasonable and refused to point the security cam on Max's crate . ;)
We got a big crate, Max could see all around and was fine, he had more room than he would have had in car, however, if we can't have the same one on our return, he will stay in the car.
So far, Max has been in a few pubs, and joined us for coffee after dinner, might be that as we are out of season they are more flexible,
Lots of rules about dogs on beaches in summer, so we would avoid that.

Michele, Steve and Max[color=#0000FF][/color]

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 10:35 

We go to Cork with our Dood during the summer and have not had a problem. But we do not expect to take her into a restaurant or a pub where people are eating. We will happily sit outside (but it is summer). Some of the beaches did expect you to keep dogs on the lead and obviously all expect you to clear up after your dog while on the beach. We did notice that certain types of dog had to be muzzled and on the lead at all times when on some beaches, but they were dogs like staffies, rotties etc, which you can understand. So really, if you are laid back about the situation, I am sure that you will have a good time. I hope so anyway.

ImageImage