including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 21:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just registered with Barking Mad
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 18:46 

Just had a very rewarding afternoon with two lovely people from Barking Mad- they are the alternative to kennels, and place your dog with a suitable host family. We've got to be away in October for a couple of days, didn't want him to be in kennels- he'd hate it!! and this was a revelation for us! We had a 1.5 hour meeting at our house, with every detail of Dex's routine, habits, likes, hates etc being recorded. Dex was the model Dood, of course- snugging in, sitting on command etc- . Feeling really confident now about going away without him!!!! ( but I'll still be in floods when he goes!!Oh, and he's being hosted 10 mins away , as he's a bad traveller- fantastic!!!! Not cheap, but way worth it for our gorgeous boy!! X

Post subject: Re: Just registered with Barking Mad
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 19:14 

That sounds good. When I contacted them they said they would collect the dogs and take them to where they would be staying. I wasn't happy that I wouldn't even meet the people or see the house so decided not to use them :(

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 19:30 

That is their policy, Bid, but can totally understand what you mean , however, lucky for us the host I mentioned in my earlier post was there today with the franchisee, which is apparently unusual,( but due to Dex's travel sickness issues), but so v happy she was, as Dex was v comfy with her. But will let everyone know how Dex's holiday goes.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 00:02 

Like Bid, I was a little concerned that I wouldn't get to see where Lizzie would be spending her holiday or meet the people looking after her, but after a long fact-finding visit from the franchisee to find out about our daily routine, likes and dislikes, rules of the house (was she allowed on the sofa? Upstairs?) and seeing detailed profiles of the host families, I was quite impressed and Lizzie went off for a few days. She came back with a lovely photo of her with her new friends in their garden, as well as a postcard telling us what she'd been doing, mostly playing down by the river with the ducklings apparently! They described Lizzie and her antics to a T, so I have no doubt they soon got to know her. The Barking Mad chap said the teenage girl who had been helping her dad look after her, had cried when it was time to say goodbye. They couldn't have a dog of their own at that time so hosting was the next best thing, and it was clear that they loved the dogs in their care. I know it seems a lot of money when you look at the cost of a week's care, but what do the hosts really make out of it....perhaps ten, twelve or fifteen pounds a day for looking after a dog for 24 hours, which really isn't very much at all.

I hope Dex's Barking Mad experience is as positive as Lizzie's.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 00:09 

My main concern is Poppy is a serious chaser and I need to be 100% sure that any garden she stays in is secure, but I would never leave them with someone I've not even met!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 07:04 

Thanks, Lizzie-Lou. Sounds like it was a v positive experience for Lizzie!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 14:50 

I am the same as you bid need to see and know where he would be ,i left dexter with a family freind last week for one night at my house ,that was bad enough ,but he was fine .Didnt even look up when we went out the door ,i wrote a long list of hes routine ,she said he was a sleep most of the time and came for a fuss now and again .I think we worry too much sometimes .But you have to be carefull these days.