including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 22:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Maisy had the most amazing time at the New Forest!
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 13:04 

Hi all, I really wanted to recommend anyone who plans to go to the New Forest with their dog to stay at this lovely B&B called the Turfcutter's Arms its in East Boldre, near Beulieu. We stayed there for 2 nights and my doodle Maisy loved it. The owner has a lovely black labrador named Kai and they are so doggy friendly, your dog can dine with you in the pub and in the rooms they have stone flooring which is ideal for dogs along with some rugs for the dogs to lie on. There is also a fleece blanket on top of the bed for dogs to snuggle on. We even had a single foldable bed in the room so i opened it up and put Maisy's bed on top of it and she slept on there, she loved it! The owner would spoil my dog with treats when he saw it, including chicken feet, she loved it! It was really cheap too, there was an offer on so it was £38 a night including a full English and continental breakfast! There are 3 rooms in the cottage that is attached to the pub and each room has its on patio which is ideal for dogs! There is also a huge field around the back which has horses wandering freely, and it's such a lovely walk! I found there were so many great places to take Maisy and the location was amazing. I'll try and upload some photos :)

Post subject: Re: Maisy had the most amazing time at the New Forest!
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 15:38 

Cool! We have a caravan in the New Forest, Stout loves it there too!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 15:42 

May consider this one, Looking for a short break with Oscar this year :D .

Thanks,

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 15:57 

We are off to stay in a little self catering chalet in Ibsley on the edge of the New Forest over Easter. I'm so excited, it'll be our first time away with Willow. Can't wait! :-)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2015, 20:21 

Our caravan is just south of Ringwood, we love it there , have a great time with Willow, lots of walking areas around, some dog friendly pubs too. H and D

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 11:02 

Isn't the new forest the centre of that weird dog disease? I avoid all woodland in the spring, autumn and winter, just in case.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 17:53 

Liz!! wrote:
Isn't the new forest the centre of that weird dog disease? I avoid all woodland in the spring, autumn and winter, just in case.

Yes, we live in this area and I refuse to walk my dog anywhere near the New Forest. Just today in the local paper is a bit about an eight year old Springer Spaniel that has had to be put down due to contracting Alabama Rot. I've posted a link below.

Please be careful if you are brining a dog down here.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ew_Forest/

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 19:20 

Sounds fab Claire! :D :D We've had some wonderful stays in the New Forest with the dogs over the years - loads of dog friendly pubs and lovely walks and not too far from the sea either . It's always nice to hear of good places to stay. We've booked a number of cottages through New Forest Cottages holidays and we've never been disappointed with the standard of accommodation. The Alabama Rot is supposed to be rife through most of the South coast I think so you just have to vigilant I think - I certainly wouldn't keep my dog on a lead all the time I'm afraid. See you soon on a Surrey Stroll Claire! :D :D

Susie x

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2015, 22:37 

The last few times we have been to the caravan we have avoided walking stout in the forest, he has boring old lead walks around towns or we go to the coast when he is allowed on the beach. Have there been cases at the coast then? It's really scary

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 08:54 

I have read that this disease has been found all over the country but most often in the New Forest. There has even been a case in my local favourite walking spot in Berkshire - Black Park! I suspect that there is a more even spread around the country than realised due to the difficulty of diagnoses but vets in the New Forest are more aware of the symptoms and therefore it is diagnosed more frequently. No evidence of this, just my natural cynicism i suppose.

The beaches have the danger of the palm oil.

I know I may live to regret this but if you consider the sheer number of dogs that walk in the New Forest and the total number of cases, the chances of your dog getting this disease is very very small. Add this to the fact that vets have no idea how dogs catch this disease or what causes it I personally will carry on doing what I do normally.

There are always risks in life and until it is clearer what actually causes this horrible killer, when I am in the New Forest, my dogs will continue to walk free.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2015, 13:29 

We have been concerned with stout as we haven't properly got to the bottom of why he was poorly, the new vet isn't convinced it is ibd, so we are not sure he isn't more prone to picking things up. Let's hope they find answers to what is causing the horrible disease soon

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics: