including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 14:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: places to visit with a doodle or 2 or 3 or....
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 13:02 

Here goes, saw this heading and thought we are always looking for new days out,pubs etc. I know we all live flung far and wide but that can be important when visiting new places. Any body in the South East may remember Leonardslee Gardens from a few years ago,beautiful place,unfortunately it was bought up and they closed it to the public. Well it has been sold again and i am pleased to announce it is reopening this spring,dogs allowed on leads,Iwill be fitting in a visit,it is just south of Horsham West Sussex. Watch this space for a review. H and D

Post subject: Re: places to visit with a doodle or 2 or 3 or....
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 14:06 

This is a great topic! Could be very useful indeed for doggy days out.
Down here in Cornwall it's all about knowing the best beaches for when the "Dog ban" comes in at Easter til 1st October. My absolute top tip for all year fabulousness is Porth Kidney- just around from Carbis bay( which has the dog ban) Porth Kidney is a beautiful golden sandy beach perfect for ball games and spacious enough to never feel crowded. And it's dog friendly everyday! Dude says it's paradise :D

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 15:15 

Perfect! Deffo be watching this one as I keep looking in that area of Horsham.

Anny, I was looking around St I sent for this weekend, hmm port kidney may have sold it. Shall look there for next time for sure.
Hope Dude is feeling chilled out these days around the village...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 16:16 

Hi Pollydoodle, yes Dude is actually managing village walks again! He takes a bit of persuading out of the gate and prefers it if both Paul and I walk him but it’s a huge improvement. Hope you manage to get to Porth Kidney sometime :D
Re Leonardslee gardens I remember going there with my school for an art trip,I grew up in Brighton. Leonardslee was lovely then so it’d be great to have an update. We were up in E Sussex in September and really enjoyed Scotney Castle which is dog friendly. We also had lovely walks on the Downs which took me back to walking with my Mum and her dogs.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 13:33 

We had a lovely holiday last September in East Sussex. It was our first visit to that area as it is quite a long journey for us.We had a lovely dog friendly cottage near Lewes. We had some great walks on the South Downs and even managed a trip to Brighton. Avoided the town centre with dog but did the Undercliff walk there. We started at the Marina and walked to Rottingdean. Found several dog friendly cafes via Trip advisor on the way! West Sussex looks an interesting area so very interested to learn of dog friendly walks and places to visit there.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 18:11 

Hi Marymuffin, as it is near us (Hove) I remember with sadness when it was sold I hope all the beautiful Rhododendrons are still there. It was spectacular, will defiantly visit when they are in bloom. We moved to West Sussex 3 years ago and find this area great for dog friendly walks and cafes, wonderful seafront walks along Goring and ferring, the bluebird cafe is completely dog friendly and has great food, whilst right on the beach always a welcome break after a long walk.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 18:20 

We are off to Westward Ho in April staying at a lovely dog friendly cottage, I am hoping there are plenty of places to eat at with Holly. It looks a really lovely area for walking. Never visited this area of Devon so lots of exploring to do.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 13:51 

For those visiting South Devon this Spring/Summer.

With the beach ban starting from April 1st the bathing side of Dawlish Warren will be off limits to dogs until October 1st but for anyone visiting the area you can still take your dog's onto the beach from groin three to groin nine.(access via the sand track at the end of the promenade)
The Boathouse pub/restaurant on the sea front welcomes dogs too .
There is a further walk towards Red Rock (to the right of the boathouse) that leads to another beach where dogs are also welcome..

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 14:01 

Hi, we have had a caravan near Ringwood for 6years ,but our van is being moved to the other side of Wareham lots of new places to explore.! Kathie I grew up in Ferring the Bluebird cafe is legendary, very dog friendly. h and d

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 09:29 

We're off to Robin Hoods Bay this Easter with friends stopping at Meadowbeck Cottages again which i've mentioned on a [url="http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=31012"]post[/url] here before.

They are on the main road between Scarborough and Whitby just near the turn off for Robin Hoods Bay so numerous beaches not far away and I always find the area really doggy friendly. Two of the three cottages they have are dog friendly as is The Flask pub which is at the top of their drive. The owners have two Spinoni's both of which are very friendly.

There is a very nice walk down through the fields then a bit of road to reach Boggle Hole and if you time it right you can then walk along the beach to Robin Hoods Bay or you can drive down to Robin Hoods Bay and walk down, and then back up, the very steep hill!! :?

Roker generally spends each evening we are there completely shattered after a day of running about like an idiot on beaches and in the sea plus now between the three families going there is a 6yr old, 5 year old, 3 year old and our 18 month old that will be playing with him!!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 13:38 

Great to hear a recommendation for the north-east coast. Some great beaches in that part of the world.

We have just got back from a holiday in Northumberland. The beaches there are quiet, unspoilt and very dog friendly. Often need to wrap up in warm clothes but well worth it for some lovely scenery. We stayed in a dog friendly cottage and would recommend 'Coquet Cottages' as they have some lovely places for anyone lucky enough to visit the area.

One final mention for The Rocking Horse Cafe just off the A1. Very dog friendly and even had a dog agility course in the garden-Cassie loved it!

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 13:20 

In terms of Northumberland we've stopped in the Links Hotel in Seahouses and they've always been great with the dog. Great beach walk from Seahouses to Bamburgh ending up round the back of the castle. The Bamburgh Castle Hotel in Seahouses, confusingly, is also dog friendly and very nice. Sadly the best pub in Seahouses, the Ship Inn, only lets dogs in the beer garden but the upside of that is that there is a great view from the beer garden. Beach at Dunstanburgh is fantastic as well. We've also stopped inland at The Bay Horse Inn in West Woodburn which has some great walking spots around it.

All round that area is in the main dog friendly we've found.