including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 22:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Sherlock & me
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 21:06 

Sherlock is a 15 month old F3 standard puppy. I know when we decided on a standard sized pup he was going to get big, but maybe not this quickly. :)

We've been through some trying times - and still are, but hopefully we'll come through with skin and fingers intact.

Any advice anyone would like to pass my way would be fully appreciated.

Thanks

Penny & Sherlock

Post subject: Re: Hello from Sherlock & me
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 20:10 

Welcome Penny and Sherlock!
We have a 4year old Standard called Dude. He's not huge-25kg and 25ins at shoulder( very tight curls, black and white)
These doodles are pretty demanding! But I feel we have come a very long way. This forum is a great way to ask questions and get really helpful advice. What are the things you find hardest? Anny and Dude

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 21:21 

Hi there Anny and Dude, thanks for the reply

Sherlock is just coming up to 4 months and we're having major issues with biting, growling, snarling. He can get quite scary. I am assured that it's a phase and he'll grow out of it, but it's quite a sight.

Training isn't easy either, he seems to be able to preempt what I'm trying to show him after the third or fourth go, so reinforcing the behaviour is a challenge.

Please tell me it gets better.

Thanks

Penny

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 22:15 

So Sherlock is 4months? That's very young and biting is a common pup problem. We always did the Turn your back method and would also give a soft toy for Dude to hold. Some pups are certainly more bitey than others- if you go to the search bar at the bottom you can put in "biting" and lots of useful previous threads will come up.
It takes months to really get the training fully established and you need to be very consistent. Pups "get" some things quickly but not everything is easy. They are trying hard to please us most of the time and we can help by being clear and by being patient. Labradoodles bond with people and listen well, but they also have boundless energy and can be a handful! :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 09:07 

Yes sorry for confusion on the age I meant 15 weeks on my first post. He doesn't have many soft toys I mainly have chew toys, he does seem to like clothing - he's an Olympic sock thief ( I honestly don't know where he keeps finding them). I'll try some softer toys and see if they help.

Thanks

Penny & Sherlock

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 11:35 

Soft toys are a really great way to inhibit biting( at least it worked for us)
So much so that if anyone comes to visit here Dude always greets them with a soft toy! He too was a sock thief, insoles too. The best approach is to remove the temptation but as u say, they are good at finding socks! Dude ate half a pair of tights once!! His favourite non food item was loo paper- he really was the Andrex puppy! He's still v partial to the odd bit of tissue! :roll: Anny