including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 04:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 15:43 

I am the owner of a 3year old miniature labradoodle and this is my first post!
I have found this site invaluable over the last few years and would be sad to see it discontinued. Having previously owned Labradors we found a doodle puppy quite a challenge. Having reached the grand old age of 3 she is at last settling down albeit still has frenzied doodle moments. Like many of you on this site I am a 50+ female and not the most IT savvy and have an aversion to Facebook, so don't expect lots of photos immediately but I can usually manage the occasional :)

Post subject: Re: New member
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 16:21 

These doodles certainly are a challenge :roll:
Dude is still unlike any other dogs I’ve known,but in many ways SO much more lovable. :D

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 16:55 

The main reason they can be challenging is the fact that they are so intelligent !....well most of them are :lol:
They need to be active mentally and physically, I think that they are on a par with Border Collies.
One of mine came to me at ten months and had four previous owners , he was a complete delinquent and this was because he needed mental stimulus as well as physical exercise. He was just starting to calm down at three years ,also I do think that Doodles seem to mature later than other breeds...usually around three / four years..
Do any of you think the same?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 17:46 

Welcome, glad you've decided to stop peeking over the fence and come on in :P

We always owned boxers - my husband said he'd had enough of them and I had to select something smaller.....so I did my research to see if I could find a breed with a similar joie de vivre. What else but a miniature labradoodle - he's now pining for a nice, calm boxer te he he. I think this'll be the last time he trusts me on anything :twisted:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 18:11 

Thanks for your comments. Would certainly agree that my doodle is highly intelligent and needs constant entertainment and stimulation. She loves her routines and that of all the family, I am sure she can tell the time and knows when the postman is due. She sits in wait for half an hour and then unleashes a cacophony of barking and jumping much to his amusement. On the positive side this does tire her out and she falls asleep as soon as he has gone. :roll: I would like to ask if any other doodles are addicted to picking up sticks on walks and playing with stones in the garden?

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2019, 19:32 

Dexter is now 6and half and definitely much calmer. We've always said he is a simple to please, with flashes of genius. he is also incredibly lazy and will always pick the easy option,kongs thrown at the ground is a much quicker way of getting the content out. So no he doesn't pick up sticks or stones too much effort,however he would take great pleasure in watching other dogs do so. A fav. of his is to have a few bits of biscuits in an open empty cereal box,which he will carry to his bed ,he doesn't tip it up just rips it apart in a two minute frenzy ,eats the biscuits then falls asleep. He is our third dog they are certainly different. Enjoy. H and D

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 11:46 

Ambrose resembles Dexter in many ways, he has been a very chilled out Dood from puppy hood...Jethro on the other hand :roll: :roll: is loud,bouncy and boisterous....he should have been named Zebadee (not sure how you spell that but you will I'm sure know who I mean)
Jethro has no interest in sticks or stones when he's at home but at the beach he has this thing about rocks half buried in the sand!.....he will try his best to dig them out barking as loudly as possible whilst circling it like a demented dervish.(he's not the full shilling that's for sure :wink: )
I do so love this cross,...they are the entertainers of the dog world :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2019, 21:23 

Dude eats sticks, he eats rabbit poo( daily! We call it Natures Kibble) he devours tennis balls. He would eat ALL DAY if we let him!
He has an inbuilt clock for mealtimes and a bizarre ability to know when family members have got in their cars to drive home!
In many ways he thinks and worries too much and is already ( at 5) going a bit grey!
He knows loads of words and doesn't think he's a dog.
Doodles are quirky!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 17:55 

Hi all, I wondered how long before someone noticed there were no posts.
Revived yet again?
Anyway Lancs Lass, Holly our 6 year old is notorious for stones, I posted 5 years ago that Holly had an operation that cost us( the insurance people anyway) £2,000 as she had swallowed 2 small stones from the garden, needless to say we had to collect 2 tons of Atlantic pebbles and lay turf instead. To this day she goes out of her way to find even the smallest stone, delights in throwing them in the air and then waiting for us to blackmail her into dropping it for a biscuit. Yes, I know we should not
“ reward” her but I cannot stand the thought of another op.
Marymuffin, Holly would take her Kong upstairs and let it drop down to the bottom gathering the treat as it was flung out. Cleaver !!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2019, 18:13 

Oh my goodness that is exactly what I dread. My dog (Cassie) taunts me with sticks and stones. I try to ignore the behaviour but it is a fine line between letting her get away with it or trying to get her to give them up. I am sure she reads my body language, picks up on my anxiety and plays on it. High value treats work but I feel I am being held to ransom and I fear one day she might pick up something dangerous :( . Someone suggested a water pistol but I wonder if that would encourage aggression? So far no expensive vets bills. She also has a thing about socks!

PostPosted: Yesterday, 12:55 

I think it must be a doodle thing with stones, as Harley is the same, he will find one and hold it in his mouth and give me the look :lol: waiting for me to say, to drop it. Sometimes he does, and sometimes he runs round thinking hes playing a game.