Collar warning

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Hunnybunch

Collar warning

Post by Hunnybunch » 03 Jan 2009, 20:54

I have two Doodles, Daisy and Bailey, they adore each other and play brilliantly together, they usually have their collars off in the house/garden, but this morning they didn't, they were out in the garden playing as usual when we heard a high pitched wailing, ran to bedroom window to see what was wrong, they looked like they were playing, but Bailey was almost screaming - I charged downstairs in a very small nighty and nothing else and ran out the back door calling husband to follow, ran across the decking to the sounds of Bailey quite terrified and promptly my feet shot out from under me and I landed on the Decking on my back and bounced up again like a rubber ball and ran down the garden to the dogs, they were rolling around and around glued together and there was blood everywhere - I was so sho ked because neither has an aggresive bone in their body, I grabbed Daisy and prised her mouth open from Baileys Jaw and realised the problem, Bloody collars, Daisy had got her jaw caught up under Baileys collar and could not get it out, in total panic and the ensuing struggle, she bit down on Baileys mouth , hence all the blood, I struggled to get them free and fnally managed it and Bailey just dropped to the ground, blood everywhere and unable to stand, OH had followed me and was there to carry bailey to the house in just his underpants, (OH that is, not bailey)the neighbours must think we are crazy!! Poor Bailey was in such a mess, it looked like his tongue was sliced in half and he was choking on blood, we dragged on clothes, checked Daisy was ok and raced to the vet, who saw us immediately, fortunately, there was more blood than damage, Daisy had pierced her tooth through Baileys Jaw from the inside and another tooth had got caught up his poor little nose which is where all the blood was coming from. Vet checked him over thoroughly and gave him two injections, antibiotic tabs and strong painkillers and we headed home to Daisy.
Both very subdued and wary of each other - but after a long day, they were licking each other better and warming themselves together infront of the open fire. So all well that ends well, however, a warning about collars when you have dogs who play alot - If we had not been there I dread to think what would have happened. It was a freak accident, but in future there will be no collars inside our grounds. I felt so ill over the whole thing, fortunately, I have my two wonderful adorable Doodles almost back to normal.
ImageImage

amber

Re: Collar warning

Post by amber » 03 Jan 2009, 20:59

Oh Lisa, so sorry to hear that. Collars can be very dangerous when left on. I read that a puppy accidently hung himself from his crate by the collar. What a shame for bailey and Daisy, but send my hugs and kisses to both.
Linda x

Hunnybunch

Post by Hunnybunch » 03 Jan 2009, 21:04

Will do Linda, it was very frightening, from distance it looked like Daisy was attacking Bailey which j ust seemed impossible, when I reached them it still looked like that, but thank god it wasn't. Bailey was very wary of Daisy, but we kept them close all day without pushing them on each other and i took bailey outside, he was very unsure about going out there, but is now ok again. Lord knows what the neighbourse thought when I ran out fo the house in a little nighty and went flying across the decking then Gus followed in hot pursuit in his underpants!!! :lol:
ImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 03 Jan 2009, 21:11

:lol: At you and Guss!

I expect it really frightened both dogs Lisa, A bit of tlc they will be right as rain. You're right to get them back out there again too. You could always give them a few extra treats as encouragement. Hamburger sausages go down well. :mrgreen:

Dillondood

Post by Dillondood » 03 Jan 2009, 21:16

It sounds like you have had a dreadful experience this morning. Like you say, thank goodness you were there and able to intervene. I hope both Bailey and Daisy are settled for the evening, and will not be any worse for their experiences tomorrow x
Dillon, Darcy & Ruth

Hunnybunch

Post by Hunnybunch » 03 Jan 2009, 21:17

Many thanks, they seem to be getting better and better, I think it shocked them as much as us and they have been spoilt rotten all day!
ImageImage

Fattysplash

Post by Fattysplash » 03 Jan 2009, 21:18

Well done you, and Gus, for putting your dogs' welfare before modesty! I am glad they are both ok, your quick thinking & action probably kept injury to a minimum.Is your back ok? You don't always feel pain till much later. :mrgreen:
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Dogs

www.puppylovecampaigns.org

amber

Post by amber » 03 Jan 2009, 21:23

We've got some decking too, it is horribly slippery. I know i have gone up on my a** a couple of times. Luckily i have also bounced :oops:
FS is right though you put them before modesty. You just don't really think do you. It must have been scary for all.

Hunnybunch

Post by Hunnybunch » 03 Jan 2009, 21:26

Miraculously, I don't seem to have hurt myself - would have run out stark naked if necessary, I love these dogs so much, there is nothing like a Dood.
ImageImage

Pippin

Post by Pippin » 03 Jan 2009, 21:31

What a nightmare, very scary, glad they are both OK though.
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

amber

Post by amber » 03 Jan 2009, 21:36

Lisa, stop it :lol: You are making me laugh.
It's a very good warning.
I always think if it can save one dog or cat if it comes to it, then it'll be a good thing.
Was the nighty pink :roll:

Hunnybunch

Post by Hunnybunch » 03 Jan 2009, 21:41

Pink and white actually and rather short, so when I went a... over apex the view must have been wonderful !!!!!
ImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 04 Jan 2009, 00:17

The mind boggles :shock: :lol: :lol:

Well done you for not stopping to think.

I always say that the animals come first, then the daughter, then the Hubbie - on the basis that the animals can't help themselves and rely on me, daughter should be able to look after herself but probably can't still (she is 23 and a nutty geek type :lol: ) and Hubbie is as capable as me of looking after himself and everyone else.

It is very scarey. Jack and Becky always play fight all day long and I am forever stopping them from biting each other's collars. I daren't leave them uncollared because Becky, in particular, likes to take off at the first chance and the thought of not having her contact details on would be a nightmare, as well as illegal. The vet would not microchip her until we get her spayed in March as she did not like her jabs and he wants her unconscious before he does it with the bigger needle.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Jan 2009, 02:07

Scary for you! Thanks for the warning though. I have been wary of leaving collars since one of our cats came in cllarless, adn the neighbours found it broken & hanging in a tree - he must have been caught by it until it broke - nasty things collars!

Glad they are OK & getting over the shock. :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

nojazz

Post by nojazz » 04 Jan 2009, 17:55

PLEASE DON'T LET YOUR DOGS WEAR COLLARS INDOORS.

I can only say thank goodness your dogs are on the mend. I had a similar experience with my dogs quite a few years ago. One dog had caught the other dogs collar in a playful fight and couldn't get free, hence pulling the collar so tight the other dog would have choked had we not got there in time. Had to cut the collar with a sissors to free it .

Nojazz