Hello ! We don't have a labradoodle .......yet !

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
marsi

Hello ! We don't have a labradoodle .......yet !

Post by marsi » 09 Jan 2010, 16:19

Hi

I am new to the forum and would love to add a labradoodle to our family. I've been lurking on the forum for a while reading with interest and giggling like a loon at all the beautiful doodles on here. Marley is fab and there was also a spaniel cross i think (brown with a little white on) can't for the life of me find the piccie now but oh my word what a gorgeous dog. Would love to learn a bit more about the coat types. Can you tell from when they are pups what the coat will be like ? We are in East Sussex so if there is anyone down this way it would be lovely to find out if there is a meet up or anything.

Many thanks
Marsi

Bid

Re: Hello ! We don't have a labradoodle .......yet !

Post by Bid » 09 Jan 2010, 17:42

Hi Marsi - welcome to the forum! One of the wonderful things about doodles is that they are all so different, and you never know how they are going to turn out- even pups from the same litter can be all different - you just need to look at the Snuggles thread to see that!

There are some things that are a little bit more predictable though - a backcross - where one parent is a doodle and the other a poodle is much more likely to have a curly poodley coat than a scruffy one, and the Australian doodles are more predicatable with their coats than the English ones. I'm sure if you look on the MEETS section you will find a doodle gathering that you can get too - they are great fun, but don't wear your best clothes :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 09 Jan 2010, 17:45

Hi :D :D

I am also from East sussex, and I have a doodle called Dexter he is an F1B which means his dad was a poodle and his mum a labradoodle. This back crossing is meant to improve coat type making it less lightly to shed and curler, but you can never tell how their coat will turn out...... one of his litter mates was straight haired like a lab :roll:

The F1's tend to more straighter or shagger but all depends, the more podle in them the more chance of a curly coat. My Dexter is nearly 8 months now and he was curly and wavy from a pup.

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 09 Jan 2010, 17:49

Hiya, notsure if it's our Marley you are complimenting but thank you if it is. He is an F3 and his coat is very soft and fleecy curls except for the band along his back which is a bit courser. He was a wispy baby not thick fluffy like some doodles. He does cast but not a lot, I think he is casting more at the minute due to his coat changing.

Brushing him is a nightmare if he's not in the mood and I seem to spend more time taking my hand out his mouth as he tries to catch the brush than actually brushing him! :lol: :lol: Have to say though mostly he will let me brush him but he turns himself into a sausage when I try to do his legs, he completely tucks them under himself and I can't get to them - hilarious when you think he is now 24kg and 23inches to the shoulder!

You should try and get along to a doodle meet, then you will see all the different coats, with the exception of ASDs I think you'd struggle to get two the same!

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Poll J

Post by Poll J » 09 Jan 2010, 17:55

Hi We're in Brighton and have a 4 month old labradoodle called Douglas. There is talk of organising a walk soon - on the beach at East Preston was suggested, but no date yet. We got Douglas from a breeder in Piltdown. You didn't say where you are, but the place is quite near Chailey, if you know that. If you want more details, let me know? One of the many things I love about this forum (apart from all the advice and support) is looking at the photos - they're all so different and bursting with character. Good luck with it all. Poll xx

KateW

Post by KateW » 09 Jan 2010, 18:06

Welcome, Marsi. Great idea to go on a meet which will also give you the chance to talk to besotted owners as well as meet lots of doodles :)

This is a useful link about buying/choosing a puppy from the Labradoodle Trust site which might be helpful

http://www.labradoodletrust.com/puppies.html

Katherine
ImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 09 Jan 2010, 19:14

Welcome to UKLA and well done on joining pre-Doodle and getting all the gen (or lack of it :lol: ) on what sort of Doodle you want.

Are you dead set on having a puppy or are you keen on a Doodle generally?

It is impossible (in my opinion) to predict how a Doodle puppy's coat will turn out as an adult. If you read the Snuggles thread (all 102 pages :lol: ) you will see what a gorgeous mixed bunch they have all turned into. Yet some of the smoothest looked curly to start with :lol: .

If you want a planned sort of Doodle how about getting a Rescue one from the Labradoodle Trust, or become a fosterer for a while? They are getting more and more Doodles in and are desperate for Fosterers. You will get a lot of support if you give it a go. Doodles are just about the most friendly of dogs, with few major problems, to take on at an older age.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

lorrainemch77

Post by lorrainemch77 » 09 Jan 2010, 19:34

hiya

can only say you wont regret getting a doodle! they are great pets

i would love to foster but i work... i assume people who work and leave pets at home during the day wont be allowed?
Dogs make coming home a pleasure - every home should have one

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 09 Jan 2010, 19:50

lorrainemch77 wrote: i would love to foster but i work... i assume people who work and leave pets at home during the day wont be allowed?
I don't know Lorraine. It would be unusual probably, because introducing any new dog into a household takes time and being there, but it would really be a case by case scenario I suppose. Some dogs coming into fostering are used to being left all day. If you have Doggie Daycare or come home at lunchtime to let your own dogs out and a bit of play then it may be possible, or if you were a teacher with longer holidays to be around in.

Certainly worth contacting Barb at the Labradoodle Trust and having a chat. Her number is 07595 757198

There is more information on the Trust website

http://www.labradoodletrust.com/fostering.html
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

lizzie tb

Post by lizzie tb » 09 Jan 2010, 20:33

What an excellent choice of dog (although I'm biased). I've had my two from puppies but when I lived at home we adopted a red setter from a rescue centre and she was wonderful and if I'd known about labradoodle rescue at the time I would have been tempted.
Good luck and enjoy a doodle meet.

somerville

Post by somerville » 09 Jan 2010, 21:22

Hi, maybe it is Max that you had seen- he is chocolate with a little white, he is now 8 months old and he is ASD x springer spaniel,I have attatched some "baby" photos as well as some up to date ones, as you can see the change in 6 months is quite huge. I would not have believed that Max's coat would have turned out as it has from when we puicked him up at 8 weeks. We have so much fun with Max he really is a pleasure and a privilege to have him in our home, if it wasn't Max you were thinking of I apologise but I hope you like the photos.[ImageIMG]http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... C00515.jpg[/IMG]ImageImageImage[img]http://i823.photoImagebucket.com/albums/zz153/fionasl/max%20on%20a%20winter%20walk/DSC00905.jpg[/IMG]Imagehttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... C00906.jpg[/IMG]Imagehttp://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... C00910.jpg[/IMG]Image

carly

Post by carly » 09 Jan 2010, 21:44

Bid wrote:Hi Marsi - welcome to the forum! One of the wonderful things about doodles is that they are all so different, and you never know how they are going to turn out- even pups from the same litter can be all different - you just need to look at the Snuggles thread to see that!

There are some things that are a little bit more predictable though - a backcross - where one parent is a doodle and the other a poodle is much more likely to have a curly poodley coat than a scruffy one, and the Australian doodles are more predicatable with their coats than the English ones. I'm sure if you look on the MEETS section you will find a doodle gathering that you can get too - they are great fun, but don't wear your best clothes :lol: :lol:

Yes, but not even a back cross or F1b as they are also refered to is any guarentee of coat type, Logan is one of the Snuggles pup's mentioned on here as he, like a couple of his brothers are now refered to a 'labrasmoothie's' cos they have such straight flat coats. Actually, out of the 10 Snuggles pup's only a couple of the black girls could be called 'curly'!

Good luck with your search :P

Carly & Logan

linny

Post by linny » 09 Jan 2010, 22:10

Hi and welcome :)
It really doesn't matter what gen you choose, they all share a wonderful nature , they are all loving and loyal, very intelligent and fun loving.
Look through the forum , I don't think there is a mention anywhere of a "bad" Doodle...mischievous, yes, willful, yes but generally they are all superb dogs and you won't be able to imagine life without a Dood once you have one. :) :)

marionfunnell

Post by marionfunnell » 10 Jan 2010, 16:21

Hi, Finn is an F2 (both parents are labradoodles) and we got him from a breeder in St Leonards as we live near Newhaven. If you fancy meeting up to chat, feel free to send a personal message. I agree that whatever the coat, the temperament is fantastic although I think we lucked out with Finn as although he is bouncy he is also laid back and loves the training classes that we go to.

He is now nearly 8 months and we wouldn't be without him.

I would just suggest that you are happy with the breeder if you go for a puppy and read as much as you can about choosing a breeder and what questions to ask as this is, I think, really important.

Have fun deciding what to do :D

Marion and Finn