First dog - first Labradoodle

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Cazdoodle

First dog - first Labradoodle

Post by Cazdoodle » 17 May 2010, 21:47

Hi my Husband and I have been searching for the right family dog for nearly 2 years, we decided that when our son was about 8 we felt it would be the right time to have a dog. This is our first dog and after looking at numerous breeds (pedigree and cross) we landed on the Labradoodle. We felt that the temprement of this breed would hopefully make an ideal addition to our family, so we ended up choosing an 8 week old black male called Mario. We are inexperienced but have asked advice from people we have come across including the internet. If people do not mind I would appreciate some advice on the following:-
Mario seems to sniff and chew most things especially leafs and grass.
Once excited he races around the garden especially loves rolling on the plants and soil (I am afraid he might run into something)
He also races up and down stairs which scares me due to his age.
His mum is a medium Lab and his dad is a standard poodle, we are hoping for a medium size dog?
Lastly, we purchased him from a litter of 4 at a farm, there were no paper work but he had been wormed but this is the only thing he has had. We have taken him to the vets and he has been given his jabs, the second are due next Monday with the microchipping.
Are we doing anything particularly wrong?
Please let me know if we are.
We have had Mario for one week and although th first few days were a shock to the system he is quickly becoming a part of the family.
Ps could not work out how to post an image of Mario. :(

trinared

Re: First dog - first Labradoodle

Post by trinared » 17 May 2010, 22:00

Hello and welcome
How exciting :D Cant wait to see pics of Mario (great name) once you are up and running.
Marley (now nearly 2) was my first dog and labradoodle and love him so much we got Duffy this year too :D
From my brief experience so far.....
We have no plants left in the garden as between them they have eaten them all :shock:
The racing around is call the "doodle dash" and he is getting started early - well done Mario :lol:
I would try not to let him race up and down stairs or on and off beds etc till he gets a bit older as their bones are quite delicate at such a young age - we needed a gate at the bottom of the stairs for first couple of months :roll:
Marley's mum was medium lab and dad was BIG standard poodle - Marley is 26 inches tall to shoulder and 36 k - big and bouncy :shock:
As long as the vet has given him the once over, he has had jabs etc and nothing to identify any ill health then thats all good. You will get to know him well and soon recognise if you think he is off colour.

Enjoy him and dont worry. This forum is fantastic and i have learned lots here. Ooh it makes me want another one but no room left :lol:
Marley and Duffy

trinared

Post by trinared » 17 May 2010, 22:05

And here's how to do the pics...... http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... =1&t=14302
Marley and Duffy

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 17 May 2010, 22:18

Mario sounds like a typical doodle :D Maybe you could get along to a doodle meet once he's had all his vaccinations - they are great places to share experiences with both new owners and more experienced owners...........and the doodles have a great time! (Although I remember carrying my 2nd dood for most of her first meet, as she was a little girl with growing legs, and they're not supposed to over-exercise their little limbs!) If you potter around some of the threads on here, you'll find a wealth of info! Or just ask!!

Cazdoodle

Post by Cazdoodle » 17 May 2010, 22:20

Hi Debbie,

thanks for your reply - it is very helpful and your dogs look wonderful, wow Marley looks big :shock:

I shall look into the image situation but in the meantime here is a link that should show you a pic I took on Saturday :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50273538@N03/4615934941/

Cazdoodle

Post by Cazdoodle » 17 May 2010, 22:22

eileenandmolly wrote:Mario sounds like a typical doodle :D Maybe you could get along to a doodle meet once he's had all his vaccinations - they are great places to share experiences with both new owners and more experienced owners...........and the doodles have a great time! (Although I remember carrying my 2nd dood for most of her first meet, as she was a little girl with growing legs, and they're not supposed to over-exercise their little limbs!) If you potter around some of the threads on here, you'll find a wealth of info! Or just ask!!
Many thanks Eileenandmolly - love to go to a doodle meet, shall we try and not get him to excited then and could this hurt is legs!

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 17 May 2010, 22:24

He sounds a great doodle. Freddie came from a farm (£250) and if he is particulary naughty we call him a trailer trash doodle! He is now two and had actually grown up a bit in the last few months. They are good hardy dogs full of fun and love so just get on and enjoy him. We live in a bungalow but agree about the stairs.

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 17 May 2010, 22:27

Here's the pic, you need to put the image address between IMG codes.

He's such a cutie, you are going to have great fun together.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Cazdoodle

Post by Cazdoodle » 17 May 2010, 22:29

mistydog wrote:He sounds a great doodle. Freddie came from a farm (£250) and if he is particulary naughty we call him a trailer trash doodle! He is now two and had actually grown up a bit in the last few months. They are good hardy dogs full of fun and love so just get on and enjoy him. We live in a bungalow but agree about the stairs.
Thanks Misty - definately going for some stair gate (my sons is long gone).

Mario was my sons choice for the name (I wanted to call him Hoople - after Mott the hoople (all the yound dude(les)) :D

Cazdoodle

Post by Cazdoodle » 17 May 2010, 22:31

Clairejen wrote:Here's the pic, you need to put the image address between IMG codes.

He's such a cutie, you are going to have great fun together.
Great - thanks Claire (we know whats behind the eyes) :D

mandilaing

Post by mandilaing » 17 May 2010, 22:44

What a lovely picture of a very cute dog. Isn't he just the picture of innocence? Bet you will have a whale of a time with him as he grow up!
Mandi and Morello

Image Image

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 17 May 2010, 22:47

Hi :D :D

Think of your pup like a young baby/child they are exploring thier world and chew and taste things with their mouths like babies explore the world.

I would invest in a stairgate as frequent running up stairs is not good for their joints up until 18 months old.

Your pup sounds like a typical dood :roll: :lol: full of energy and fun :!:

KateW

Post by KateW » 18 May 2010, 10:41

Welcome to the forum; Mario looks beautiful. You will find lots of information on here to help you bring him up and if you haven't done so already you might like to look at the Trust's website which has some puppy advice

http://www.labradoodletrust.com/

Katherine
ImageImage

Ali Cat

Post by Ali Cat » 18 May 2010, 15:44

Nicky wrote:I would invest in a stairgate as frequent running up stairs is not good for their joints up until 18 months old.

Your pup sounds like a typical dood :roll: :lol: full of energy and fun :!:
Totally agree about the stair gate. Eric was not allowed upstairs until he was 18 months and had stopped growing - tho don't panic if he manages one day to circumnavigate the gate - a one off isn't a problem. Also we have a sofa in front of a window which we had to reposition otherwise Eric would stand with hind legs on the sofa and his front legs on the window sill - this is also not a good position. So anything that tempts him to stand on his back legs (a gate, wall, fence etc) must be out of bounds for him - just whilst his hips are forming.

But yes - the good old doodle dash. Running as fast as you can from one point to another for no reason, ears back, manic expression!! Eric has now grown out of that, thankfully!!

Mario is a beautiful name for a beautiful puppy......

welcome

Ali & Eric

xx
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205 ... t/Eric.jpg

Laughter is the best medicine – unless you’re diabetic, then insulin comes pretty high on the list

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 18 May 2010, 22:04

Welcome to the crazy crowd :!: Mario looks absolutely adorable. I always think the black ones really are beauties. So guess what I got - a black and green one :roll: Archie has just been out rolling in the freshly cut grass today :lol:
You will find masses of great info and ideas on here and everyone is so friendly.
With regard to chewing everything watch out for uncovered electric cables. I thought I had everything hidden but didn't notice the one to electric fire - needless to say Archie 'Did' :shock: (Reason I forgot is that it is never plugged in THANK GOODNESS, and never will be unless I fix it :!:
Have lots of fun and cuddles and take loads of pics the first year will go in a flash.

Sharron and Archie
Sharron and Archie