Hello and help

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Aromass

Hello and help

Post by Aromass » 05 Jun 2010, 00:17

Hello ,We are new to this website
My Labradoodlecalled Poppy is 8 months old, very loving but a bit on the naughty side.
Only today she brought me the last of my once beautiful Hebe bush, I have none of my three passion fruit that usually adorn the fences , all chewed to stumps at the ground and she seems to be digging down to get to Australia but the really naughty thing is the chewing of wood.
My garden furniture , (two benches , two chairs and table ) now are destroyed and the hole for the umbrella in the table is no more.
Worst of all she has now started on the windowsills, it's not even when she's alone.
I was in the bath and could hear her gnawing away outside the window even though she had access to get in if she had wanted to.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE
Sarah
& Poppy

helenahigson

Re: Hello and help

Post by helenahigson » 05 Jun 2010, 08:47

Firstly you are soooo not alone!!!! She could be related to Coco by the sounds!!! All i can say is plenty of toys and chewy things!!! It can't be her teeth as she will now have a full adult set. Bailey and Coco dig our garden chew all types of furniture!!! socks pants or veggy patch is hanging in by a thread!! and the whole garden looks like a bomb has gone off. We have loads of brown patches and it goes on. Do you take her out for many walks? It is the time of year when our back door is open all the time so you can never quite catch them in the act! thus they don't know they are doing wrong!!! But if you do maybe a squirt of water from a bottle!!! You will read loads of stories of people in the same boat!! I'm treating them like my kids!! hoping they will grow out of it!! Wood is a worry as you never know what will happen on the way down! Keep reaing the posts this topice will come up loads!!! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 05 Jun 2010, 08:49

Image Pleas post some pics of Poppy.
ImageImageImageImage

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 05 Jun 2010, 08:50

ImageImageImageImage

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 05 Jun 2010, 09:07

:lol: o/h suggests metal furniture!! we did have wooden last year but changed. Now all i have is muddy paw prints all over my cream brolly when it fell over a few times as i hadn't put it through the hole in the table!! Seriously though if you read some topics today you will see adolescents plays a big part round this age. It can last for a few months or even longer!!
ImageImageImageImage

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 05 Jun 2010, 09:11

Oh dear welcome to Doodland. Archie is almost eight months and has just become a typical adolescent. He is not too bad on the chewing score but digging is becoming a regular thing. The garden is starting to look like a colander :evil:
I think we can only make sure they have plenty of their own chew toys, not leave them unsupervised if possible, reprimanding them at the same time giving them something they are allowed to chew and distracting them at any hint of possible destruction.
Damage limitation is my goal at the moment :roll:
Bless 'Em :D

Sharron and Archie
Sharron and Archie

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 05 Jun 2010, 13:05

When Lizzie was 6months I downsized my house and garden,thank goodness I could hardly cope with the mess Lizzie left everywhere.New metal/plastic table chairs,no grass only decking,small borders with shrubs,gave up on flowers and veg,gates to keep her confind when I need to.
No answers here Im afraid,I will say she has outgrown digging and chewing now.She is ball fixated and although this can be a problem when the ball isnt ours,its not to bad.
When she had a bone she growled at Ruby the other day.The only other problem is she always follows me everywhere even when she can see me,if I move so does Lizzie.Its as if each new year you lose a problem and gain a different one
You have to love them,
Freda.

Allison

Post by Allison » 05 Jun 2010, 16:10

How about spraying with that animal repellant stuff, Scent Off I think it's called, presumably it smells horrible, but only to animals. I've no experience of it, just a thought. Fortunately, Max doesn't chew(yet), he just pinches things and runs off!
Allison & Max

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jun 2010, 20:49

I haven't had a problem with the garden furniture but my Poppy was a fiend with the wooden patio door frame and the skirting boards. In the end I used to rub citronella oil on them ever week and she soon stopped. That would be a pain to apply to all the garden furniture though - perhaps a bone to gnaw on would keep her occupied do you think?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Aromass

Post by Aromass » 16 Sep 2010, 13:46

Sounds like I am not alone, :( have been too busy trying to go for long walks to tire Poppy out to have time to post on here.' we usually do a brisk half hourish walk before work 1-2 miles, then a longer walk in the evening, hubby works shifts, so do I, so if she is on her own it's usually only for a few hrs once a week.I never seem to catch her sneaking out to do the gnawing though.
On the plus side she is so friendly, very good natured and very happy to spend time being with us when we go out to cafe's along the seafront sitting nicely as folks stop to chat to her.
I just wish she wouldn't assume if I dare to let her off the lead that everyone else is going to be more fun than we are and run up, jump on them and in most cases knock them over. As we live on the Isle of Wight it has been a pain for Poppy having to share "her beach" with the tourists.
This has meant going back to walking on a lead all the time and such a shame as she was just starting to come back when I did let her off ( if we were alone).
Poppy loves to come caravanning with us and is no problem on the car ferry or travelling in the car.This has meant although we can no longer go inside we are able to visit the grounds of the Statley houses we so love to visit.
Sarah
& Poppy

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 16 Sep 2010, 15:01

We found the answer is never to let them out alone. If Lola (8 months) wants to go out she rings a bell, I take her out and bring her back in. Or have a game with her after she's been and then bring her in.

Now, after months of not being out there and being told 'no' when she's gone to do anything we don't want, she's got the idea, and she halts in front of the mud when she's running and doesn't attempt to eat anything or even go in the borders.

I think it's training and not letting them have the opportunity, at least it was with us! The times she does sneak out now she never attempts anything naughty.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

gillwightman

Post by gillwightman » 16 Sep 2010, 15:20

Its so funny to find this posting today because of what we have been doing this morning :lol:

Right from the moment we brought Archie home we realised he loved being outside. He sits at the door as if to say please let me stay longer. Obviously we don't let him play if he is supposed to be doing business, but once its done he is in puppy heaven.

We live in a terraced house with a courtyard garden and 6ft walls either side and double storey outhouse. This was a great place for our last dog to spend days, as there was shelter in the outhouse for her bed and then free space. Nothing gets in and nothing gets out.

Yesterday he spent nearly two hours out there, eating stones, digging a whole 1 1/2 inches to the cement underneath, but then turning his attention to our flower pots. I am actually just beginning to realise what we have ahead of us, but we decided that as this was the perfect play place for Archie to adapt it to him and puppy proof as to be honest I really couldn't care less about flowers etc, I am not a gardner really. We are concentrating on protecting my dining room furniture and our shoelaces. My husband brought his bed down to the back porch and he spent a happy morning 'helping' us dig up the ferns and hostas and other dubious looking plants, while he concentrated on eating viola heads and thyme :roll: He smells delicious.

I WAS planning to plant herbs in the pots thinking if he was going to eat them they won't harm him, but am now thinking maybe next year, or the one after. He has spent all day yesterday chewing stones, eating and licking the edges of paving slabs and trying to eat the edges of a wooden fence panel that blew down in the gales.

I wasn't approved till last night so I spent the last two days just reading and filling my head with the horrors that await me.

To that end I have contacted a local holistic dog trainer, she is a dog whisperer and she is coming to meet Archie on Friday night. Already she has given me a ton of advice and kind of put into perspective all the masses of info I have read in the past few days (the internet is both a blessing and a curse!) which has been swimming around and colliding in my head.

I want her by my side as we navigate the next few stages but she has already given me a great load of info on dog stages, what to expect when, calming behaviours etc. If anyone would like the info let me have your email and I will send it to you. Knowing what is happening and why is going to be helpful. I found it helpful to educate myself about the alien species of my children, BOYS!! Once I knew it was normal, I could handle it.

I knew to expect my youngest to stop hugging me about 10 and be happy to do so again about 15is. I have to say many cuddles have resumed since he lost his dog and got this new puppy, first for comfort and now for sheer joy and appreciation. It was worth paying £750 just for THAT :lol:
[url]

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 16 Sep 2010, 15:46

gillwightman wrote:We are concentrating on protecting my dining room furniture and our shoelaces.
That made me laugh, the huge terribleness of the chewed dining room furniture and also... the shoelaces!

I thank my lucky stars that our shoes are all in the front hall, totally inaccessible to Lola!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx