Hello - New breeder/keeper

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
annddogwalker

Hello - New breeder/keeper

Post by annddogwalker » 09 Sep 2010, 12:10

Just to say Hello! Unfortunately I am a first time "doodle" breeder who didn't understand the "ropes". I telephoned one of the Association owners of stud poodles and thought that I was doing the "right" thing as my dog was in season. Oh gosh! She certainly put me right and so I called off the mating for that season and am now getting her hip scored (something which unless you are into "breeding dogs" is not immediately obvious! But having read some of your posts here warning others of potential hobby breeders (like myself) I certainly didn't know the form. I am afraid it was ignorance on my part! :oops:

Anyway now I have been put right I am going to have my beautiful yellow labrador Roxy hip scored and hopefullyl in 6 months will be able to arrange a sucessful mating and happy puppy outcome!

I will be, hopefully, accepted and learn what I should be doing from you lot who all know that much more than I do but who all have a love of doodles in common!

I live in Minehead West Somerset I walk with friends who have doodles and am hoping to make miniature doodles. I have two other dogs Poppy who is a black labrador and Milly who is a beautiful hairy lurcher!

MrsAdmin

Re: Hello - New breeder/keeper

Post by MrsAdmin » 09 Sep 2010, 12:20

Hooray :P At last someone prepared to learn and willing to actually understand why we keep banging on about health tests etc.

Well done you. :P

Do stay around here and learn all you can about Doodles if you plan to breed them. You should also go to Doodle Post and register there. You will get told all about the other tests that your Lab will need as well as this is a breeders forum. The advantage is not only will you do the job right, for the benefit of your puppies and their owners, but you will also be able to list the litter properly on there as fully health tested as only ones that produce the right paperwork are allowed to register.

In time people seeking puppies will have somewhere they can be sure of getting genuine tested puppies from.

If you look under the puppy finder on here you will see the Labradoodle Code of Practice which is what needs following as a minimum.

The Labradoodle Trust website is also a mine of information on breeding and all things Doodle.

Do be aware that there are many, many puppies seeking homes and it is not a way to make money or guarantee pups sell. Are you ready to keep a full litter of possibly 14 dogs if they don't sell?
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

freedom

Post by freedom » 09 Sep 2010, 13:38

Well done you :D
If your girl is a Standard you will need her hip and elbow scored and preferably Optigen tested also for Prcd pra and an annual eye test.
You have the lovely Mary Rook on your doorstep who may help if your girls scores come back good, Mary lives in Porlock and she has a fabulous Mini boy who is all health tested.
Good luck with all of your tests :)

annddogwalker

Post by annddogwalker » 09 Sep 2010, 14:22

Hey thanks for the rapid replies!

I was hoping that I wouldn't be cast to the outer yonders due to my ignorance!

I have heard of Mary Rook many years before as a friend had one of her black puppies (full sized).

I have booked her in for the hip score and so will do the elbow thingy at the same time. I will read up on the Optigen thingy as I haven't heard what it is about! :?

The eye test I will do nearer the time sometime early next year.

I don't have her kennel club papers and she was passed on to me by a friend whose friend who owned her had ended up being sectioned and part of his problem was having to rehome the dog. I have spoken to him about having pups but the papers are not forthcoming - she is a very "proper" working yellow lab in appearance - does this matter?

I am sure you will all be sick of me by the end of this as I need loads of information that probably only you people know.

I think keeping 14 puppies would be a no go, but I already have 4 friends and relatives waiting to have one - so I just will need more "good friends"!! :lol:

Thanks

Ann

annette

Post by annette » 09 Sep 2010, 15:14

Great that you are doing the health testing, I would ask before doing the Optigen Tesing as if mating to an Optigen A dog it is not essential to test your girl, however if mating to an Otigen B dog you must, reading the Optigen site is a good way to start,

freedom

Post by freedom » 09 Sep 2010, 15:28

We can tell you the pitfalls of breeding all day long but if you have your heart set on breeding you will do it anyway so it is best to get good advice and do it correctly :) After I posted I thought I should have commended the stud dog owner who turned down a stud fee, well done that person :D

When you say you don't have her kennel club papers do you mean you don't have a pedigree or you don't have her KC registration document?

freedom

Post by freedom » 09 Sep 2010, 15:30

Great that you are doing the health testing, I would ask before doing the Optigen Tesing as if mating to an Optigen A dog it is not essential to test your girl, however if mating to an Otigen B dog you must, reading the Optigen site is a good way to start,
But she could be Affected?

freedom

Post by freedom » 09 Sep 2010, 15:33

It's not always about what the breeder does but what the puppy purchasers do, if she was Affected and produced Carriers, the offspring may get mated to another Carrier or an Affected.
Same with no paperwork, if the offspring go on to breed they may be mated to thier brothers etc......

annddogwalker

Post by annddogwalker » 09 Sep 2010, 16:07

Hi Freedom

I don't have any paperwork for her I am pretty sure that she is KC registered but have no paperwork. I don't like to go back to the earlier owner as he is having another breakdown or whatever. I have a rough idea of where she was born and could go at it that way but is it essential to have the KC stuff?

Yes the lady I spoke to was not rude - but certainly firm!! But fair play to her as she made me take stock and postpone until I had done the "proper" groundwork first.

I do realise that breeding pups can be a nighmare but we all start somewhere - and only by trying can you decide whether it is for you or not. I would imagine that most of the other breeders had to start somewhere and took the plunge (so to speak) :lol:

I really am appreciating the useful information tho!

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Sep 2010, 16:39

Hi there, I am not a breeder, just a doodle owner, but having now got one doodle with a health problem, and another one with a behaviour problem (both are happy lovely dogs btw!) , I will in future want to know as much about the grand parents of my next puppy as the parents, to be as sure as I possibly can about the health and temperament of my puppy. If it is at all possible, then getting the background of your lab would probably be a help with that sort of query imo.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

trixiedoodle

Post by trixiedoodle » 09 Sep 2010, 17:30

It is refreshing to that someone intending to breed has, admittedly "by accident" found out about hipscoring etc and are now going to do all those before breeding. Will you be doing other testing? I noticed Freedom asked if your dog was a Standard? She asked if you were doing eye tests and I was under the impression that the PRA tests were only for Poodles not Labs; as there such a thing as a "Standard Labrador"? I wish you every success with your aims even though I think that there are too many doodles in rescue as it is. Good luck anyway and just keep asking your questions.

freedom

Post by freedom » 09 Sep 2010, 19:34

Ooops my error, :mrgreen: I was thinking she was a Doodle but absolutely Labradors have to be Optigen tested for prcd pra.
I'm afraid without a pedigree it's really not a good idea to breed her because you have no idea of her history and as already said the offspring may end up being mated to their own family

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 17 Sep 2010, 16:48

If you know her KC registration number you can get a copy of the pedigree via the Kennel Club. You do need to make sure that there is no endorsement regarding breeding from her original breeder.

AMBERDOODLE

Post by AMBERDOODLE » 02 Mar 2012, 11:13

Hi, i'm new to the forum and am trying to find out how to get my mini labradoodle eye,hip and elbow tested as am hoping to have her mated on her next season (end of summer). I have phoned my vets who have said because she is not kc registered being a cross breed they wouldn't be able to get BVA tests done, but could xray hips/elbows and say if ok or not but no score. Can anyone offer any advice?
ImageImage
Amber&Caz

poodledoodleted

Post by poodledoodleted » 02 Mar 2012, 11:42

A) I would phone your vet an explain to them that, that is not the case. Any dog can have hip/elbow scored by the BVA regardless of whether they are a cross breed or not. As I am sure labradoodle breeders will tell you. You dog will have to be a minimum of 1 year of age - obviously you wouldn't breed a dog younger than that anyway. You will also have to have your dog micro-chipped or tattoed. If your dog is KC registered (which a labradoodle cannot be) then you need the KC certs but otherwise just proof you are the legal owner of the dog is required.

Failing that:

B) Get another vet that knows what they are talking about :lol: Most vets I imagine will do a bit of research and find out they can send the x-rays to the BVA but if they don't I'd imagine they aren't the greatest vet so I'd look for another.

I'd P'M some of the breeders on the site and they will probably give you a better idea of how to explain it to your vet and an idea of what is a suitable score to breed from.

Good luck with getting your girl scored and well done for doing all the relevant tests before breeding :D