Introducing Ludo...

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Lollipopbobs

Introducing Ludo...

Post by Lollipopbobs » 14 Dec 2011, 11:54

Hello there. Just thought I'd introduce myself on this forum as I've been following it for quite a while now! We have a 14 week F1 Labradoodle called Ludo. We picked him up at the end of October and life hasn't been the same since! We love him very much but we are having a lot of trouble with his biting. He chews things a lot which is to be expected and I don't mind (ish!). But he tends to prefer to bite us when he is in that mood. And it really hurts! Not sure if anyone has any new tips we could try. Feel like we've tried everything, I've been on every website and read every book for ideas but nothing works! Thank you in advance for your help :)

Laura & Ludo

Indiana

Re: Introducing Ludo...

Post by Indiana » 14 Dec 2011, 12:59

Hi Laura and Ludo and welcome to the board!

We have Indie, an 11 week old f3b pup and he is getting more nippy not less at the moment! We are trying to be consistent in putting in his crate for a timeout when he gets in that mood. If he is playing with toys / kids, either the toy is taken away til he calms down or he is moved away so the kids can play in peace. This week he has torn my daughters coat :oops: :roll: On the other hand the kids are getting much better at dealing with him and now he is starting to have short walks he has calmed down loads during the day!

It does seem from other posts that they do go through a bit of a phase but do come out the other end at perhaps 4-5 months when the nipping stops and proper teething starts!! :shock:

Anyway, what a gorgeous puppy, we have a lookie likey but in apricot.

Keren and Indie

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Dec 2011, 13:00

Hi Laura - welcome to you and Ludo :D

When my puppies were little, everything that couldn't be put out of reach was wiped with cotton wool soaked in citronella oil (most good chemists will sell it). They hate the taste of that, and it smells better than mustard - the door frames and table legs in particular needed to be saved from puppy teeth!

For the "normal" puppy play biting I yelped like a puppy would, and if that didn't work I would give a firm "No!", stop the play and turn my back for a few seconds.

The mad frenzied biting that Daisy used to do, and Beamish to a certain extent was usually because they were either over tired, or needed a poo and didn't know how to say so. So a quick trip to the garden followed by timeout in the puppy pen/crate somewhere quiet, with a stuffed kong (frozen goats yoghurt is my fav filling) to send them to sleep seemed to do the trick.

Those are my hints, and I'm sure there will be others posted too.

Does Luna go to training classes? Trainers usually have a few little tricks up their sleeves to pass on for biting puppies too.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

stout

Post by stout » 14 Dec 2011, 13:06

Aah what a cute little chap.

We did the turn your back on them trick, time out in the kitchen with stout, which weren't overly successful. We used to put butter in the back of our hands so he learnt it was much nicer to lick skin that bite it. A sharp yelp helped with stout too, he still mouths very occasionally, and now if we yelp, he licks it better.

Good luck, it does get better! Its also nicer when they get their blunter adult teeth!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 14 Dec 2011, 13:47

Just follow all advice and i am sure one of them will work.
I read that if you spray `bitter apple spray` on hands it will stop biting - you can get it from Amazon.
We have sprayed it on various things (including the xmas tree) and Jessie hates it.
The biting does calm down at 4-5 months though.
What a cute pup you have!
Sarah and Jessie

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 14 Dec 2011, 14:06

Ludo is a gorgeous puppy !! good luck ! x
Dawn & Luna x

DevonDoodleDog

Post by DevonDoodleDog » 14 Dec 2011, 14:14

Aahhhh... so cute!...
Rhubarb my doodle is an F1 and 13 weeks old. They look very similar, although Rhu may not have Ludo's funky hair do :D
Rhubarb

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 14 Dec 2011, 16:41

Lots of good advice so I'll just say Hi & Image to the forum.
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

travis

Post by travis » 14 Dec 2011, 18:06

Don't despair Lollipopbobs.
Chica was 14 weeks when I put my first post on the forum for suggestions on the same problem.
My yelping didn't help but it did make the rest of the family jump!!
Putting her in the next room behind a child gate when she really got too much didn't help a lot but it did give us chance to dress wounds!!
Turning your back on her just resulted in a nip that you didn't see coming!!
Now, at almost 5 months old, perseverance at distracting her with toys and a firm NO has pretty much solved the problem and she hasn't drawn blood for a good while!
Good luck

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.

Alibobs

Post by Alibobs » 14 Dec 2011, 23:39

Hello and welcome. This seems to be normal doodle behaviour and we have ALL been there. Follow all the great advice given and (hopefully) :D by the time Ludo is five months old it will all be a distant memory :shock: Ludo is soooo cute by the way :D xx
Alison & Lola x

DevonDoodleDog

Post by DevonDoodleDog » 15 Dec 2011, 22:39

Welcome. Your puppy is beautiful. My puppy rhubarb is in the mouthing stage at 13 wks old. I'm anticipating the chewing to start in the next month or so once teething starts. Our last doggie (sadly now passed away) did the typical lab thing by eating the plaster off the wall. I'm hoping rhu doesn't develop the taste for it too. :lol: Image
Rhubarb

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 16 Dec 2011, 09:30

All the advice is right and time is the answer. I thought Lottie would never stop biting but now she has the most gentle mouth, which is just as well, as she still likes to 'hold' my husband's hand whenever he comes in!

Lollipopbobs

Post by Lollipopbobs » 19 Dec 2011, 20:46

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been late replying, had a mad couple of days and not been able to get on the laptop. Thank you all so much for the lovely replies, we feel very welcome :)
We will definitely try the citronella oil, going to get some maybe tomorrow. Seems like we've tried everything! If we ignore him, he only carries on eating our clothes etc. If we shout, he seems to get scared and do it even more. We took him to a puppy party on Saturday where he could meet other puppies so we're hoping this will help with his behaviour.
Also, Devondoodledog, where is your pup from? She looks very similar to our Ludo.
Thank you everyone, Laura & Ludo :)

millysmum

Post by millysmum » 20 Dec 2011, 10:20

Hello there

Not much to add except to say that Milly's biting was at its worst when she was tired or over-excited, and perseverance with the time out technique (even if it is just a minute behind a closed door) was the most effective for us. We thought it would never end, but it did, and like someone else just said, she now has the gentlest mouth.

Also, Milly's behaviour improved in every possible way once she started attending daycare where there were plenty of other dogs. They put her in her place.

Best of luck.
Image Image

orbitalforest

Post by orbitalforest » 20 Dec 2011, 17:16

hi , where did you get your pup ? he looks a lot like our stanley and is the same age ! we got ours in mildenhall ,suffolk.