Our New Stella!!!

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
nicollf

Re: Our New Stella!!!

Post by nicollf » 02 Apr 2012, 22:17

What a lovely girl!!

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 02 Apr 2012, 22:18

Yehhhhh Stella.... every home should have one :D Ours is coming up to 4 yrs old and she's just re-discovered the 'doodle dash' albeit in a milder form and she's knackered after it and usually falls in a heap after 2 mins!!!
Enjoy... they're not puppies for long :mrgreen:

kate85

Post by kate85 » 03 Apr 2012, 08:24

Thanks folks,

Before we bought her we were looking at these forums (we were trying to decide on breed!) and saw Lola.... I just melted and decided then that we HAD to have a doodle!!! She is lovley!!
Last night we had our first night with no 'presents' left in the kitchen in the morning... very proud of her and Tom was pleased! He does get quite frustrated as he has no patience!! Did most of you crate train your puppies? We have one arriving today so just wondering what the best techniques are for this? I am a complete doggy novice.... but learning every day!!!! :lol:
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 03 Apr 2012, 09:13

kate85 wrote:Thanks folks,

Before we bought her we were looking at these forums (we were trying to decide on breed!) and saw Lola.... I just melted and decided then that we HAD to have a doodle!!! She is lovley!!
Last night we had our first night with no 'presents' left in the kitchen in the morning... very proud of her and Tom was pleased! He does get quite frustrated as he has no patience!! Did most of you crate train your puppies? We have one arriving today so just wondering what the best techniques are for this? I am a complete doggy novice.... but learning every day!!!! :lol:
Hi Lola - these books are THE resource on crate training. The first two links here...

http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

He has a successful book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Before-after-Ge ... 653&sr=8-1 but decided it was so important he was going to make it available for free download - it is exactly the same :)

Congratulations on such a wonderful first night!! I'm very impressed there were no presents! What time was her last going out and her first going out this morning out of interest? (Our puppy comes in 2 weeks!)

kate85

Post by kate85 » 03 Apr 2012, 09:23

Maggie,

We took Stella out at around 2200hr then this morning at 0600hr. She's been here a little over a week now and its the first time she hasn't had a poo!! I have been trying to decide on the right amout of food I should be giving her because she always seems hungry!!! So I think the handfulls I was giving were a little too big so yesterday i gave her a SMALL handfull 4 times throughout the day with the last one at 1800hr and she seems to have been a bit better (she was also having quite loose stools which I am putting down to too much grub?! which seems to have settled today!! :roll: ) Like I say, I am a complete novice at this but I guess sometimes trial and error is the way forward?
Thanks for the links, will def check them out!! Hopefully the crate will really help? Will update soon with hopefully good toileting tales?? :lol:
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 03 Apr 2012, 11:34

We bought little set of American measuring cups, and use two of those for measuring Lola's food, as we found my handfuls were completely different to OH's...

She still Doodle dashes, at 2!

Stella looks lovely!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

kate85

Post by kate85 » 03 Apr 2012, 17:57

WELL!!!!!!

After our discussion about food portions, I popped out to the shop for 20mins to get some essentials as I have not been able to get out properly now I have Stella to look after. When I returned Stella was sitting in the kitchen looking very pleased with herself after managing to open the lid on the bucket containing her food and tip the whole load over!!!! :roll: Not only that but having stuffed her little face she decided to have a poop in the corner and walk it all over the kitchen floor!!!!! Now I know we aren't supposed to tell puppies off for accidents in the house but Im afraid I was so shocked at the amount of mess caused by such a little thing in such a short space of time that she did get a bit of a telling off!!!! :x

Needless to say she is having no more dinner tonight!!!!
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 03 Apr 2012, 18:14

For me the destruction is a big reason for crate training! Shocking mess though! :(

The reason why you shouldn't tell puppies off is because they don't understand why you are doing it unless it's within 1 second of their crime. As far as Stella's concerned you left the house, she never knew when you might come back. Maybe she will worry next time because you will leave and if you ever come back she will be told off again...

Perhaps it's a good idea to get her used to the idea of you leaving (and coming back), by you leave the house for 2 minutes, come back in and praise her.... 5 minutes come back and praise her etc?

kate85

Post by kate85 » 03 Apr 2012, 18:42

shes been quite good really, we try and go out regularly for 20mins and shes done really well with that, just obviously having a hyper day?!! lol i know i shouldnt have told her off and dont usually but i did shout bad dog before i even thought!!! woops!! shes not too scarred by it though, an hour later tom caught her having a wee in the livingroom!!! shes normally really good, think shes feeling a bit naughty today!! :wink:
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 03 Apr 2012, 19:21

kate85 wrote:think shes feeling a bit naughty today!! :wink:
Don't know about you but I get days like that too sometimes :lol:

I dread to think what Barney will get up to when we get him! :shock:

kate85

Post by kate85 » 03 Apr 2012, 19:32

oh yeah, i often have naughty days!! when do you get barney??
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 03 Apr 2012, 19:44

Less than 2 weeks now! He comes on the 15th!!!!

:shock: :D :D :D :D

kate85

Post by kate85 » 04 Apr 2012, 08:37

Yay Barney!! Cant wait to see him!!
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 04 Apr 2012, 14:21

Hey welcome to the doodle forum from us too!
Stella's got lovely chunky Labby legs.. :P She's a gorgeous pup!!
Daise, Gracie & maddie xxx

kate85

Post by kate85 » 04 Apr 2012, 16:01

Stella got her new crate today!!! Thought she might be scared to be caged in and I was ready with the treats to entice her but surprisingly she went straight in and fell asleep!!! Left the door open for a bit just to get her used to being in it and throughout the afternoon have shut the door for 2-3mins at a time and rewarding her for it and now she is in there with the door shut just chilling out!!! I did go and buy her a toy that she can find treats in just to give her something to do while shes in there and seems to be working!!! Thought it was going to take a few days? Or maybe this is the calm before the storm?
Thanks for those links Maggie!! really useful and have helped alot!!!

Can I ask you hardened doodle/dog folks about worming/flee treatments? Does it matter what wormer/flee tratment I use? the breeder used Dontral and frontline but I couldnt find dontral and frontlilne is sooo expensive ( £24!!) so I have got another one from pets at home. I figured that they are prob all the same under all the packaging or am I wrong?? :?:

Thanks
Tom, Kate & Stella xxx