If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
stevied

Post by stevied » 11 Jan 2014, 23:19

Hi everyone,
I have been looking for a companion dog for quite a while now and have considered lots of different breeds. Saluki's I love as a dog but have been put off by everyone from the vet to the people at my local rescue centre saying not with a cat. After checking out loads of breeds, the pros and cons of each the labradoodle seems to fit the bill. A neighbour has one and she is a lovely dog with a shaggy coat. My brother has a Spanador called Liffy who is a lovely boy, friendly and gentle but a bit too big for me. I have seen a few puppies advertised some of who cost more than my last car! My vet tells me it would be best to get a puppy so the cat can dominate it and I have read that doodles are cat friendly. I have recently retired so will have lots of time to give to any dog I have and it would never be left at home alone. We do have a garden but not a very big one but we live very close to the countryside in South Bristol. A couple of questions if I may.

1. How do you know what sort of a coat a dog will have? I would prefer a scruffy looking one.

2. How big could a large one get? I have been told medium dogs grow to about 16inches at the shoulder.

I have been in contact with a breeder who has the last of a litter for sale. He tells me it will have a shaggy coat but it looks very smooth coated in the photos. I also wonder why it has not been sold when all the others have.It seems quite expensive to me too.

On the plus side I am not in a hurry and am prepared to wait for the right dog.

Thanking you in advance and I dearly hope I have not broken any guidelines with my first post.

Regards Steve Dawson.

suebedo

Re: New member

Post by suebedo » 12 Jan 2014, 00:02

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum - you are doing everything the right way round unlike me who was given permission to look for a dog on the Friday morning and Fozzie was home with us by Saturday lunchtime. Breed discussed, decided, puppy found and sorted by Friday night! It could have all gone horribly wrong but I love my two to bits :D

A recurring theme you will find on here is that puppy coats can, and often do change quite a lot unless you go for an outrageously priced Aussie Dood. In addition the size of the dog may be a bit hit and miss. This is all part of the the dogs being cross breeds. You'll find people who thought they'd got a medium sized dog who end up with a labradonkey and others who wanted a large dog who have ended up with a medium.

What everyone agrees with though is that they love their dogs just the way they are - once they are in your home and part of your family, they've wriggled into a big space in your heart.

My Fozzie is just over a year old - possibly 6 months of growth still to go but I'm hoping that he has reached his full height. He weighs around 30 - 31 kg and is taller than most dogs we meet - I haven't measured him for ages and he's lying flat out at the moment so I can't check.

Cats and doodles? We have 5 cats. The dogs do chase the cats but only when they run. If the cat turns round, the dogs anchor and wait for the scratch on the nose. The funniest sight was our fat tom Archie, chasing Fozzie round and round the garden when he was about 4months old - the paw kept coming out to swipe the back legs and Fozzie kept tucking his bottom up to get it out of the way of the claws. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 12 Jan 2014, 00:33

Hi there.

MOST important thing is to check the parents have been health checked and are not carrying and likely to pass on the health problems which are common to both labradors and poodles. If the parents have not been checked, do not take a chance on buying a pup.

It's not possible to know for sure what coat your pup will have - after 8 months or so the pup will lose its pup coat, gain an adult coat, and that can be completely different.

On the whole a smoother coated pup will be scruffy rather than curly - but not always! And a wavier one will be curly or wavy - but not always! And the occasional pup will stay looking just like a lab.

The scruffys on the whole shed. The curlier ones usually don't. But not always...

Unless you get an Aussie dood, but they are never scruffy, always curly, fleecy waves or spiral.

You can get a mini dood, but it could grow to 32 inches.

In my experience they mostly all chase cats.

Our cat has never been the same since we got Lola - she is the gentlest of doods, but we have a scaredy cat. She took one year to come into the lounge again, 4 years later she now will lie near the dog and sometimes on my lap at the same time. Lola chases her if she gets the opportunity but the cat has learned to swipe with her paw and Lola stops then...
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Benben

Post by Benben » 12 Jan 2014, 11:31

I can't help on the "how to get the Doodle you want" front since I'm definitely still waiting to find out myself! I am quite sure that whatever Ursa mutates into she'll be loved just the same.

However, I can offer a perspective on resident cats and how they get on.

I have a cat called Mungo. He's an Ocicat (a breed, ironically enough, resulting from the cross of an Abyssinian and Siamese 50 years ago). He's just turned eight years old, and he's a very confident animal. He loathes other cats and I know does sometimes pick fights with my neighbours' moggies. However I'd noticed that he's quite untroubled by dogs in general, and in particular by a frequent visitor to our house in the shape of a large but very gentle labrador. He used to sniff her in acknowledgement and then ignore her. So I began to think that acquiring a dog might not be out of the question.

It did steer me away from taking on a rescue dog, because it was always going to be harder to introduce an adult dog into my home when you just don't know their history with cats. I also had other considerations: I run a B&B so needed a beast that I could train effectively and wouldn't shed (I know, I know). I also didn't really want a huge dog (I know, I know).

Ursa arrived four weeks ago at the age of six and half weeks. Mungo clearly decided early on that this was going to be okay as long as he was the undisputed superior, and he's set about establishing this. Ursa is wary but is sometimes just too excited to hold back, and does often launch herself on him. He has, thankfully, never run away but instead turns and warns her off. If she persists he'll biff her; if she still persists he might nip her ear or scratch. Interestingly I've only heard a few yelps and they've never been serious, but more of ` "ouch I'll back off" variety.

When she first arrived she was a quarter his size and weight; now she is taller and at least equal in weight. He still reckons he's the boss though, and will - for instance - investigate her food for goodies like tidbits of chicken which she permits without protest.

So I think it's going pretty well, in fact. I've always been careful to make sure that he has plenty of easy escape routes, whether that's places to sit where she can't reach or cat flaps to prevent her following him. The stair gate gizmo I found online with a cat flap at the bottom is brilliant since it keeps her in the kitchen while he disappears upstairs. She'll never be allowed upstairs either, so that's always going to be a dog-free haven for him.

The video I've linked to dates from about ten days - two weeks after she arrived.

The photo shows the current state of affairs...

Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 12 Jan 2014, 13:24

Hi, I don't know if this helps a bit with the coat question, but here are 3 pictures of Tia who was very smooth coated to start with, at 8 weeks, 12 and then yesterday at 5 and a half months looking very doodle-y!

ImageImage

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 12 Jan 2014, 13:32

Do you want a pup,if not why not rescue one and then you can see what coat and size it will be.When we got dexter our little yorkie had just died and not knowing you coud get a miniture labradoodle ,we just went with te first pup we saw ,and not knowing how big they could grow.Dexter got bigger and bigger he is around 27 inch and weighs 43k we have met some people that like hes size,but i would have liked a smaller one myself,he a a scuffy coat that we keep short ,but hardley needs grooming so im pleased with that.good luck with your search.
ImageImage

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 12 Jan 2014, 18:34

i there
With the coat the best advice I can give is with the feel and texture of it when they are young pups. I have a brother and sister Labradoodle. One is curly and more doodle but does not shed, but his sister is shaggy and looks more Labrador look and does moult slightly. I now have a nutty but loveable rogue of a dog which is a Goldendoodle . I wanted him to have a curly/fleecy coat. There are obvious signs for a fleecy, curly coat if the pups have very curly/wavy hair already however if they don't this is my way of working out their coat. If the hair is silky and fine, soft and shiny chances are they will emerge as a scruffy coated dood. If the hair is thicker and courser they will be more likely a curly dood. Bizzare I know but I have helped others in this and they have all turned out as expected. look at these photos to give you an idea. They are like labradonkies!!! but you can get miniature doods!!!

Darcy at 8 weeks (looks more like a golden retriever. course thick and slightly wavy hair)

Willow at 8 weeks silky, smooth and fine shiny coat

Louis(goldendoodle) when I saw him at 4 weeks

Darcy and Louis (last year)
[URL=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/hockb ... 9.jpg.html]Image[/URL

Willow(back) Darcy (Middle) and Louis (front)
[URL=http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/hockb ... a.jpg.html]Image[/URL)

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Jan 2014, 18:47

Good idea - show photos!
This is my cream scruffy as a pup and an adult she is an F2 - both her parents were labradoodles and one was a first cross.

This is my black scruffy - he is an F1 as his mum was a lab ..

and this was my poodley curly girl - curly from the start!

None of them were really lab-like as puppies - even Daisy has little wispy bits suggesting she would grow a longer coat.

I agree with Liz - looking for health tested parents is the important thing. :D GOod luck with our search!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 12 Jan 2014, 19:05

I agree with Liz about making sure that the parents are health tested - a breeder that health tests is more likely to know the genetics of her dogs & what their potential coats will end up like.
The further through the generations you go the more you are likely to know what they will be like although as Bid can testify there is no guarantee!
The Aussie's will have a thicker curlier coat & you know what you are going to get but they are more expensive - having said that they are also calmer than the English labradoodles!
Talk to a lot of breeders - there are various websites around advertising breeders who health test & I believe their is a good breeder not too far from you.
Go & see the breeders & meet their other dogs & get your own "feel" for them.
Good luck!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

stevied

Post by stevied » 19 Feb 2014, 12:02

Hi all,

So I have taken the plunge and got a doodle after lots and lots of research and here she is.

Her name is going to be Lucca and I am collecting her on Sunday 23rd feb. My wife and I are getting very excited about her coming home which we hope is not going to be too much of a shock for our cat! I will keep you posted!

Steve

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 19 Feb 2014, 12:18

She looks gorgeous! We'll look forward to hearing all about her!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 19 Feb 2014, 14:05

Aw, she looks gorgeous. Lovely colour.
I love the variety and I expectedness of the labradoodles.
Hope she settles I well
Claire and Sam

swardie

Post by swardie » 19 Feb 2014, 19:17

She's so cute!!