New puppy owner

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
AdamK

New puppy owner

Post by AdamK » 26 Aug 2015, 22:33

Hi everyone, I have been a lurker for a little while now doing my research as first time dog owner, on the lovely breed and also spending time of Cockapoo Chat as originally I wanted a Cockapoo but the wife wanted a Labradoodle as friends had an f1 who was great with our young boys.

After spending quite a while searching local listings which was a real minefield & not a pleasant search & having an argument with one breeder who didn't think health scoring was important, I stumbled up the labradoodlepuppyfinder blog and saw a listing for Tia & Winstone's pups in New Romney. We arranged a visit with the breeder Andrew the following day, just before we went away on holiday. It was a tough selection process having 10 eager waging tails placed in front of us, but eventually this one little girl sat next to my wife for most of the visit, so I guess you can say that she chose us. After checking all of the health certificates of the parents we decided that everything felt right to proceed.

We picked Poppy up on Sunday & after 3 weeks away were a little shocked at how quickly she had grown. On the hour drive home she happily sat on my wife's lap and was not sick & gulped her food down once home. She is using the crate at nights with very little in the way of crying & quickly goes to toilet when let out thankfully in the damp weather we are experiencing.

Poppy is so gentle with my two boys aged under 10 and is enjoying playing fetch already and dropping her toy rope at my sons feet. Her second injection was yesterday and the vet gave her a clean bill of health & she is weighing in at 6.8kgs at the moment, he said he expects her to reach 33kgs! Puppy training classes will begin next week :?

I managed to find time this afternoon to get Poppy into the studio & she was not phased by the camera or the lights.

We hope to make the local Doodle meet at Jeskyns park in October

Image[/url]

Doodle Dee

Re: New puppy owner

Post by Doodle Dee » 27 Aug 2015, 08:02

Oh wow. She's beautiful. Lucky you. Look forward to more pics and lots of storie
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 27 Aug 2015, 19:29

Doodle Dee wrote:Oh wow. She's beautiful. Lucky you. Look forward to more pics and lots of storie
Thanks Denise, she has been a little pickle today since my wife has returned to work after the summer break. She was an angel when we collected her Sunday but day by day the character seems to be growing. I guess it is a good sign that she has settled in.

I was just looking to see if there was a Dog story section so members can progress the growth in a personal thread but apparently not the case. Love the blog idea but I struggle to keep up to date with them for the business website!

linny

Post by linny » 27 Aug 2015, 22:28

Welcome from me and my motley crew :)
Poppy is certainly very photogenic ...what a lovely colour she is.
it doesn't take long for them to get their paws firmly under the table and worm their way into our hearts does it :)
Will look forward to watching her grow and hear the tales of mischief that will most certainly happen....enjoy :)

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 28 Aug 2015, 09:45

Thanks Linny, yes she certainly has got us all hooked even if we are feeling a little exhausted at the moment. The mother in law wants to retire a year earlier than planned so she can purchase the last remaining pup (this is from someone that has an allergy to dogs!) :roll: she was looking forward to seeing the pup more than the grandchildren after coming home from her holiday.

I can't wait to take pictures of her running around in the fields, she has a really funny bound when she plays fetch.

linny

Post by linny » 28 Aug 2015, 22:44

I take it that you are a photographer (from the lovely pic)
perhaps you might offer us black dood owners a few tips as all we seem to get are mostly black blobs with an occasional(and I mean occasional) reasonable pic :roll:
My Ambrose has a beautiful face and eyes but it's so hard to capture.
Jethro is much easier. :)

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 29 Aug 2015, 08:07

Hi Linny, thank you, yes I am a baby, children's and family photographer with a couple of weddings thrown in for good measure. I have a studio in the garden, so work from home.

Pets are much like children you need to take a little time to make a connection with them and the camera. Lots of little noises gets their attention & I always try to stay at eye level. Bribery will also pay dividends have a few treats handy to or a favourite toys & try to make it a fun experience.

With Ambrose to open up his eyes try shooting from above, with him sitting and you standing over him, have someone rattle something just above the camera. Patience and practise and you will nail it in time. I look forward to seeing some of your attempts.

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 29 Aug 2015, 15:32

Welcome, good luck with your little one, very cute!

Just to say the vet said our George (a medium labradoodle supposedly lol) would be 40-50kgs fully grown when he was a puppy! :shock: He is nearly 2 now and seems to have settled just under 28kgs which we feel is a good weight for him. So a bit of a difference. There is a height weight chart, if you google it it should come up. Has a red and a blue line one it, was pretty accurate for us.
Rhea & George

ImageImage

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 29 Aug 2015, 19:49

Thank you Rhea, that is quite a difference, did you panic at the thought of George turning into a 50kg monster? I think Poppy will be smaller than the predicted weight but time will tell. I will look up the chart.

Many thanks

Adam

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 04 Sep 2015, 08:10

We took Poppy to the local Puppy training club & were amazed at how calm she was where the other pups were darting all over the place. She just sat beside my wife taking everything in & they commented on what a little angel she is. (Why is it both the kids and dog are as mad as anything at home?).

Poppy quickly picked up the sit and down commands and following the hand whilst walking & made friends with a dog that we thought was a terrier but the owner said was a F1 mini lab doodle.

The boys are continuing to feed her whilst off school, they bring her bowl in and ask her to sit which she does before they put her food down. No issue when they take the bowl away, so gentle with them.

Poppy goes to bed at 10.45pm without any crying at all during the night and is let out the crate at around 6.15am. She is now dry during the night and has cracked holding it in during the excitement of seeing us in the morning.

So pleased with how she has settled in & the cats can be in the same room at the same time, a bonus. Luigi is desperate to cuddle up with her, but she is still a little too manic for him at the moment. It's also brought the cats closer together :D

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 04 Sep 2015, 10:59

We would have loved him whatever, we wanted a bigger dog. Would have been difficult lifting him into the bath though!! :lol:
Rhea & George

ImageImage

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 04 Sep 2015, 17:32

It looks like George is more than at home in the bathroom anyway. They certainly do work their way into your heart very quickly.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 04 Sep 2015, 23:29

Gorgeous, and well done on al the homework and checking of health certificates etc. What a sweetie!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 06 Sep 2015, 08:46

Liz!! wrote:Gorgeous, and well done on al the homework and checking of health certificates etc. What a sweetie!
Thank you Liz, it was important to me to find a responsible breeder, which I was surprised at how hard it would be. Plus it is nice to know the history of the parents.

She is certainly making an impression when out on walks, we have never talked to so many neighbours in the 2 years of living in the road. They all want to stop and stroke her, she loves the fuss.

AdamK

Post by AdamK » 18 Sep 2015, 16:13

Poppy enjoying a dry spell in the garden, she is now 14 weeks & we have had her a month. What joy she brings to the family.