Energetic pup

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
PoppyMeadow

Energetic pup

Post by PoppyMeadow » 01 Dec 2015, 09:30

Hello everyone, me and my husband have a Labradoodle pup who is 12 weeks old. We're complete novices when it comes to dogs and the last 3 weeks have been a very steep learning curve. We're active people who love being outside and wanted an active, companiable dog. She's very energetic which we don't mind but the energy quite often seems to tip over into manic spells where she tears around the room, grabbing and jumping on everything- not good. We're taking her out for two 15-20 minute walks a day which she's not very entusiastic about but then goes manic again when we're back inside. My question is, is this just normal puppy behaviour that will calm down later or are we doing something wrong? Would be really helpful to hear from others about the energy of Labradoodle pups and how it changes as they get older.

dexysback

Re: Energetic pup

Post by dexysback » 01 Dec 2015, 11:25

Hi it could be just being a pup ,but i know some foods could make them hyper ,im lucky my dog even from a pup was very relaxed and laid back .They do calm down when older ,i would take her or him to puppy training and by him some puzzle toys to keep him occupied indoors and try and relax and your pup will be fine, enjoy they grow up so quick.
ImageImage

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 01 Dec 2015, 13:14

I would say most pups have what we called Crackerdoodle moments! Our Dude was a quiet puppy but at around 6 in the evening he used to hate around the house like a thing possessed! He stopped doing that at around 16 weeks. I work from home so I spent a lot of time on organised play sessions which taught him that when we stopped, and I sat down, it was time for him to chill ( lying on my feet usually) Pups need a lot of interesting activities in the early weeks, but just short sessions. You'll be amazed how much they calm down!

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 01 Dec 2015, 13:19

And, you can use "play" as training time too. Tire them out mentally and they will settle more easily.( just reading previous post, "hare around",not "hate")

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 01 Dec 2015, 17:47

Crazy spells are often a sign of being overtired - just like a toddler.

Try holding for a while in a cuddle till she goes to sleep, or encouraging her into her pen/sleeping bed with warmth, blanket, toy, something to chew to sleep.

She'll calm down - we call these doodle dashes and poodles do it as well.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 01 Dec 2015, 23:27

Hi PoppyMeadow,
Welcome to the forum! (You know we love our puppy pics on here, don't you? :roll: )
Congratulations on your new addition... My first Doodle puppy was exactly the same... It wasn't until I found this forum that I realised he was probably over-tired. He was completely manic, I used to sit on the kitchen counter tops in the evening whilst he ran riot. :oops:
I was advised that he was probably over-tired, and I started putting him into his puppy play-pen for regular 'Time-outs'. And it worked!
With my 'new' puppy, I have given him regular 'nap times' and, even though he's naturally a calmer dood, it has helped a lot.
We were always told that a puppy should only be exercised for 5 minutes per month (walking on pavements) to ensure that they didn't put too much stress on their developing skeletal system... You can always tire them out with training sessions to keep their brain occupied.
Good Luck with the new pup - looking forward to hearing more about her -
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 02 Dec 2015, 10:55

Thank you all for your comments. Most helpful. I suspected she might be over tired and now I'm pretty certain that's the case. After having a play yesterday evening I put all her toys away (we had just been leaving them out and she'd carry on playing excitedly for ages)and although it took a little while she did eventually settle. Anne you mentioned your first doodle was exactly the same. Can you remember what age he started to calm down? Is 12 weeks a particularly 'bouncy' age? Also by puppy play pen do you mean crate?

Thanks again all. Really nice to have thoughts and advice as we really are novices! Also happy to post a pic if I can work out how to do it!!

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 02 Dec 2015, 11:38

There's a very helpful link on "general discussions" about how to post photos using Photo Bucket. It would be lovely to see pup pix! I agree that pups do get over tired. With Dude I found that if I sat down quietly he always sort of followed my lead. This still applies. Be boring and they soon settle! Anny and Dude.

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 02 Dec 2015, 20:31

Good luck with your puppy, I don't think they ever grow out of being bouncy :roll: . Oscar is often the most bounciest dog in the park, and he's 4 years old :D .

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

stout

Post by stout » 03 Dec 2015, 00:23

Hi and welcome. Stout was exactly the same when he was a pup, he can still be a bit mad when he is over tired now, the difference is he will then have a lazy day to make up for it! As others said we used to try to wear him out with training or games where he had to use his brain to wear him out (like hiding treats under opaque plastic cups, mixing them up and making him find them, or treats in cardboard tubes to find etc). Stout goes to work with Chris, and has a crate there, he used to have time out in there during the day (and to avoid things getting chewed! ), he still takes himself off to his crate to snooze now.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 03 Dec 2015, 00:52

I can't remember how old Ianto was when I realised my 'error' - probably because his antics had addled my aged brain by then! :roll: - but he was born in Oct 2012, came home at the end of the Nov; I joined the forum in May 2013... so, by my count about seven months! But that was because I didn't know he was over-tired - you have the advantage now! :D
As to the bounciness... as Oscar's hoom has said, they never seem to grow out of that...! Thank goodness... :wink:
Ianto (and his younger bro' Wyre) have both had playpens... they also have crates, but I used to put them to bed in their playpen so that they had their bed, but also a little area to play in, or use to toilet. It also meant that I could put them in there for 'TimeOuts' or if I wanted to leave them (either to go out, or to go elsewhere in the house) and know that they were safe.
Our trainer recommends that you shouldn't leave your dog with toys - they should be brought out for you to play with them, and that way they get bonded to you. I let ours have antlers to chew but soft toys or tug toys are saved for 'playtime'. It makes a kind of sense I suppose, as dogs have never had cuddly toys... it's just that we hooms provide them. As pups in the wild, they would just have a bit of prey to practise on... no wonder some of them shred teddies, left to their own devices! Ianto always used to 'zombify' his by pulling out their 'brains', and also shagged and 'killed' his pretty little puppy bed mattress... :shock:
Happy days!!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

P.S. If you have a Photobucket account, open a Message box on this forum, go to Photobucket and click on the photo you want to use. Go to the IMG box on Photobucket and click in it - it will briefly turn yellow and say Copied. Just come back onto this forum and right click in the white Message box, then click on Paste. It should show a line of code - click on Preview and the code should have turned into a photo... HTH x

Edited to add: Antlers are probably not a good idea for pups who still have their baby teeth... You could try a Puppy Kong. x

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 03 Dec 2015, 08:29

Again, thanks all. Lots of good advice to take on board-will give the piccies a go as she is rather sweet despite being a bit of a handful.

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 03 Dec 2015, 08:34

Ps. Yesterday she got a toilet roll stuck on the end of her nose, really funny - wish I'd been able to take a photo!

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Dec 2015, 08:40

I always find they are worse at bedtime - so much it almost amounts to a tantrum! I used to put Beamish to bed with a stuffed frozen kong every night, and he would quickly settle and slurp himself to sleep. Kongs are gods gift to puppy owners!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 03 Dec 2015, 08:45

Have tried frozen Kong with peanut butter but wary of giving her too much. Do you know of anything else you can put in it?