Energetic pup

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Bid

Re: Energetic pup

Post by Bid » 03 Dec 2015, 08:50

I used goat yoghurt, also raw mince (as my dogs are fed raw food). Anything frozen tends to last quite a while. Do check your peanut butter ingredients as some are now made with xylitol so you need to avoid those brands.

Also, different colour kongs have different chew strengths. Pale blue & pink are the softest so best for pups, red is medium, and black is for tough chewers.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 03 Dec 2015, 09:04

Great, many thanks

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 03 Dec 2015, 11:05

Can I just say, you don't Have to use a crate to have a well behaved puppy. Not everyone thinks crates are a good option.

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Dec 2015, 17:18

I agree with that - I don't use crates, although I do use a puppy pen when I leave a young pup in the house, for it's own safety, and to give the adult dogs a bit of respite :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 03 Dec 2015, 18:10

Glad to hear we aren't the only non craters! ( I agree, pups need a safe space when we aren't around, but that can be a small gated corner of a room)) I would say puppies learn good behaviour by experiencing a certain amount of freedom. It's a v personal thing. I asked my 89 year old mother about the energy levels of pups and she said " They need to learn when it's playtime and when it isn't, but mainly they need love!" She was walking her last dog up until she was 87,she was never without a dog and now she can't have one she enjoys hearing about this website.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 04 Dec 2015, 00:36

We5Kings, we like your mother ! :D Mother's are always right :wink: . ..mainly pups neeed love.
Hope I am like her, still walking my dog when I'm 87 years.

PoppyMeadow,
congrats on the pup, mostly they are good fun. In addition to what others already said I was given a book eons ago ,Perfect Pup by Gwen Bailey. I found it really handy for quick easy reference for those moments when I got to the "what am I doing wrong? Aagghh, why is the pup doing this?" moments

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 04 Dec 2015, 12:23

Thanks Pollydoodle, yes Mothers are always right, and if she could work modern technology, mine would never be off this forum!! Yes, that book by Gwen Bailey got me through a few sleepless nights with Dude who didn't settle easily at first. Funnily, I think it's in that book where they advise "Be a post" to stop pulling on the lead. This was called "Be a rock" by Mum, years ago when we had an incredibly pully Cairn called Henry!

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 04 Dec 2015, 19:54

Thanks pollydoodle for book suggestion. Really useful.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 06 Dec 2015, 01:31

Peanut butter is very salty, and you must be very careful not to use one with palm oil in (poisonous to dogs). Too much salt is also not good for dogs.

You could put in raw or lightly cooked mince.

If you have a crate, you don't ever need to shut it - it's just a good place to have covered to make into a den. They like dark spaces to chill out in, which is how used ours. We didn't ever shut the door except at mealtimes to show that when we were eating she must never approach us. And only then after she loved the crate.

We got rid of it when she was about 9 months and was happy to sleep anywhere, and when we were less likely to disturb her sleeping in an excess of puppy-related cuddle-yearning.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 06 Dec 2015, 16:52

I think I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forum, but worth saying again... I use Meridian '100 per cent peanut' Peanut Butter. No added salt, no added sugar, no palm oil and no xylitol... Just peanuts. I got it from Holland & Barratt but they also sell it in Tesco.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 06 Dec 2015, 19:51

Thanks both for heads up re:peanut butter. I'd managed to get some rather expensive peanut butter without sugar which we have been giving her. I've just checked and frustratingly it has got palm oil and salt so I'll have to look out for the brand you mentioned. So until then no more peanut butter! Is there anything other than mince I can put in a kong? I was wondering about a natural yogurt which I could freeze?

PoppyMeadow

Post by PoppyMeadow » 06 Dec 2015, 19:52

Gorgeous photo of Lola by the way.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 06 Dec 2015, 21:42

Be very careful with such a young pup with giving too many different foods. We learned the hard way that Dude reacts badly to cooked chicken!( a trainer had suggested chicken as a suitable training treat!) The main thing is to find a food that suits them and then try TINY AMOUNTS of any other foods. The kibble we use is Salmon Canagan ( it took many attempts to find this) and we finally achieved The Holy Grail...pick-up-able poos!!! Re the filled Kong... Make sure the pup can cope with whatever you fill the Kong with!

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Dec 2015, 09:27

Dogs don't produce lactase so dairy products can upset them. If you want to use yoghurt try goats yoghurt rather than cows as dogs can tolerate that better.

Hard cheese is lower is lactose so you could try that - I used to put it with kibble in the kong, melt it in the microwarve then freeze it - that way it sets like concrete and take ages for them to get out.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 07 Dec 2015, 20:11

Thanks for that tip, Bid! I've been putting kibble and peanut butter in the Kong, but didn't realise I could microwave Kongs... I usually pack the kibble in as much as I can to make it harder to reach! (The puppy nabs it when Iant gets fed up as his tongue is smaller and seems to reach in further!)
I found that the best 'pick-upable poohs' come from raw-feeding... but I do admit that I haven't had the courage to feed it to the puppy whilst he was little as I wasn't confident enough in my ability to give him the right nutrients... We're just starting the change over now.
And I agree with you, PoppyMeadow, Lola is the cutest little dood!! Check out her photos on this forum with all the 'Gromits', they're wonderful!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x