Naughty or normal?

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Paulalou

Naughty or normal?

Post by Paulalou » 03 Feb 2016, 12:39

Bobby is almost 10 months old. I'm not sure about his characteristics - is he naughty or are these normal?
He loves to play in the garden but he will not come back inside for anybody unless he is given a treat to entice him in. He totally ignores us all when we call his name.
He barks at everything and nothing no matter what time of day. Not for long periods of time however. This has lead to an official complaint by a neighbour.
He is very bouncy when he sees other people. I have to cross the road when we see anybody on walks as he jumps up at everybody. people coming to our house is a no.
Finally - for now - I have to still put him in his crate when I go out and at bed time as he loves to chew everything. There is no such thing an an indestructable toy or piece of furniture.
Help

Barneyboy

Re: Naughty or normal?

Post by Barneyboy » 03 Feb 2016, 12:53

Sounds normal for a pup whose never been taught there are different ways of doing things

olly

Post by olly » 03 Feb 2016, 15:09

Hi Paulalou,
That sounds like a doodle they certainly know their own mind! Have you taken him to a training class? My 2 have been to a kennal club bronze level class which has helped with a lot of the problems you describe. They are a similar age to Bobby. We were taught about controlled greetings and recall amongst other things. It may be worth looking for a class in your area if you haven't tried that.
Olly, Echo & Whisper

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 03 Feb 2016, 17:00

A couple of questions: Did you have Bobby from a pup? And has he suddenly become naughtier? I'm wondering if this is a "teenage" phase? I mean did you establish recall, not jumping up, no chewing etc when he was tiny?Has he taken a step back, or were you unable to teach these things in the first few months? It is important to get him to some classes but also to reinforce good behaviour at home( in the nicest, gentlest way of course)All breeds needs boundaries, Doodles are pretty bouncy but also quick to learn and keen to please. Anny and Dude

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Feb 2016, 18:05

I agree with Barneyboy, it sounds like a normal doodle who has been allowed to get away with things. The good news is that some training should help with all these things :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Paulalou

Post by Paulalou » 04 Feb 2016, 09:41

Thank you all for your replies. We have had Bobby from 8 weeks. I took Bobby to behavioral/training classes when he was 5 months old. He learned how to sit and lie down for a treat but still to date he won't do it if there is no reward. Recall and bouncing up at people were addressed but as Bobby didn't get it straight away the instructor gave up on him and concentrated on the 'better behaved' dogs.
The jumping up at people is not new but the noisy barking is recently getting worse.
I will look into a more recognised training class for Bobby. What about one to one?

stout

Post by stout » 04 Feb 2016, 11:00

It is bringing back memories of our little fluff ball :lol: . Stout went to puppy school, and behaved like an angel :evil: . We went back to basics when he started being a real pain. We used to have to 'puppy proof' the lounge when he was left alone - he would still managed to find something to eat (including the wall). We used to have to get one of the other dog walkers to call him to get him to come back in the park. If he is food orientated go back to the basic commands with treats as rewards. Stout never really barked, so don't know about that one. He would sometimes have me in tears because he was so defiant - especially if Chris wasn't in. Also, we started doing agility with him - he wasn't the best, but it helped him to learn to listen to us.

There is hope, Stout is now (mainly) well behaved, and we wouldn't be without him. He calmed down overnight, one day he was suddenly well behaved - I thought he was ill! He can still be quite 'poodly' and a bit 'what is in it for me', the lab side normally kicks in when there is a chance of food! He is an intelligent head strong dog, so we need to be quite insistent with him (usually on a bad day after about four 'sits' he will do it :evil: ). He does still jump up occasionally, but only if someone has let him, he will then try it with everyone he meets. He does still expect a treat when he comes in from the garden - he comes into the kitchen and looks up at the worktop where his treats are.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Paulalou

Post by Paulalou » 04 Feb 2016, 12:08

Thank you so much. I am relieved to hear it's not just Bobby. We have just returned from a run in the park. I took your advice and called ihim back to me several times with the promise of a treat. He did return and sit for the treat. I will keep that up.
Like you say - back to basics and maybe another course of classes.

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Feb 2016, 19:46

With training you need to think about the three Ds - Distance, Duration and Distraction - so with each thing you training start with none of these - i.e. at home indoors, then build them up slowly, moving to the garden, making the stays longer and the recalls from a greater distance- all in baby steps. The trouble is when you go to a class it often all goes to pot and you feel like you have got nowhere, because all of a sudden there are huge mega distractions in the form of other dogs in close quarters. The way to look at it is that training classes are not there to train the dogs, but rather to give owners some ideas on how to train the dogs at home, in the garden and then out in the real world. So what might have happened in the class was the trainer gave you some ideas to work on at home, and then the dogs that had mastered the jumping will have been given other things to work on. That's what I do in my classes, because even if you all start at the same time, different dogs are good at different things so everyone is at a different level after a couple of classes.

Our doodles are really clever, but also tend to be clowns when they get to class :lol: , one of mine in particular (Daisy) loves to make people laugh. At the moment Beamish is being my demo dog in class even though he is my youngest - I daren't take Daisy! :roll: :oops: :oops: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Feb 2016, 23:42

Hi Paulalou and Bobby, welcome to the forum!

I don't know about 'normal' but your Bobby isn't 'naughty' - our doods don't really have that concept... I too have a dood who likes to test the boundaries. Although some may say that I've not managed his training very well, it does seem odd that my second dood is completely different in character. In other words, like children, they are all different... For instance, even now, Iant will await his chance and then be away with whatever he can nab, whereas Wyre has never shown the least inclination to snaffle anything... Iant woke through the night as a puppy, Wyre slept straight through, etc.

Ten months may be the time that the 'Kevin the Teenager' stage sets in - lots of young pups who were previously quite good get a dose of the cloth ears at this time. (Ianto had pretty good recall for a while, then it all went out of the window...) By the way, calling his name isn't a command so he may just be ignoring you because you haven't asked anything of him.

It's a real shame that your trainers did that - surely they should care about everyone, not just the 'high achievers'? At our classes, the trainer will move dogs into different classes to ensure that they are always working to their level - I found that Ianto was better working with dogs who were a little more advanced than him, he seemed to learn what was expected of him by watching them. And yes, the classes are to train us to train our dogs... :D

Iant was always a very bouncy boy - not helped by people who encouraged him to jump or said, "Oh, I don't mind!" I was advised to stand on his lead when we met anyone, which meant he couldn't leap up. At home, I have to be very firm with visitors and insist that they don't talk to him, or even look at him until he is calm - he has learned that he needs to be quiet and well-behaved if he wants to greet them. I put him on an indoor lead fastened to the sofa... (The worst part of this is getting the darned visitors to 'obey'! :? ) If Bobby is really over-the-top, you could try putting him in another room until people have come in, and he's calmed down a little.

Whenever I went out, and a night, I used to have to put him in a play pen in the kitchen... that continued until he was thirteen months old and wearing a cone due to being neutered. Then I gave him the run of the kitchen, and after the cone was discarded he was fine - as long as I remember to clear the counters and lift anything he may be able to get at! It's only recently that he's left the OH's walking boots alone in the conservatory... :roll: (Still working on the OH :? )

Toys as such are for us to play with them - if you're not playing with him, they can be put away. Ianto used to de-brain his soft toys until I realised that a stuffed teddy isn't a 'natural' toy for a dog - he was just practising dismembering game.... (I know that lots of doods love their cuddlies, it's just that mine doesn't.)

Some people use citronella oil on furniture to discourage chewing - I was advised tabasco sauce for my skirting board, and it did work...

When Ianto starts barking - at the window or in the garden - I've started going to look and then thanking him rather than trying to tell him off, as it seems he is trying to tell me that the postie is here, or there is someone walking by. This appears to be working. I ask for a sit to switch his brain from 'bark' mode, then say and sign 'Quiet' and treat. We're still working on him barking whilst in the car when I'm alone with him! :?

It doesn't come naturally to me, but I've found the high-pitched 'squeaky' voice really gets their attention, so lots of praise when he does something well! I do use a treat to get him in from the garden - in fact, both doods will now ask to go out, sniff the air, then come piling straight back in and immediately sit and wait for their treat... I know I'm being suckered, but if it works, what the hey?

My younger dood will only work for treats at the moment - he's very food driven - but Ianto was the same at his age, and now doesn't need them except for the occasional one, so if Bobby will work for them try not to worry about it - use what works. Some dogs will work for praise alone, or a game with a favourite toy.

Our doods are such characters... they do eventually begin to mature and grow up - I've noticed quite a difference in Ianto since we've had the puppy. Be consistent, build in regular short training sessions. And enjoy your doodle - they are wonderful dogs - he will certainly keep you on your toes!! Have you found a Doodle Meet Group near you yet?

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Paulalou

Post by Paulalou » 05 Feb 2016, 09:54

Thank you so much. What a fantastic forum. I have gone from thinking ''it's only Bobby and I'm rubbish at this dog owning lark'' to seeing this as ''Bobby is not the only one and we have a challenge ahead with lots of fun built in''.
Getting Bobby back in to the house seems to be working with calling 'good boy' and, yes, offering a treat.
During this mornings walk I will try standing on his lead when he sees the other dog or person.
After that we're off to buy another new bed - 4th one now - as Bobby ate his during the night.
I haven't heard of any doodle meet groups around. Where will I get info on that?
Thanks again

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 05 Feb 2016, 16:46

With the barking- poodles are very sensitive alert dogs. When he's barking he is probably trying to tell you something.
Think about what triggers him and acknowledge him.
Mine never barked as a puppy, it took a while for her to find her voice so it was a surprise when she started to bark at cars, lorries, the bus, the post man, the boiler firing up etc.
She never barks for the sake of it or if other dogs bark.

If you don't listen to her or just sush her, she will keep on at you as she thinks there's trouble and you don't know.

I've taught my dood,
"Its ok, there's nobody there" by showing her out of the door and saying "There's nobody there".
Now when she barks at nothing or a noise I say "Its ok, there's nobody there" and she shuts up because she knows what I mean and its ok- we've checked it out, I know about it.

Similarly, when she barks at the postman or any real thing, I praise her for telling me, saying something like- "Good girl- its the postman/just a car/just a birdie etc, thank you for telling me now sush!"
She does quieten down straight away, but if you ignore her she will go on until you respond.

When somebody is at the door, or she thinks she's heard someone she comes and gets me barking and looking for me to follow her. I acknowledge her whether she's right or wrong and she stops.

Give every regular noise a name so you can say "its just a car/just a helicopter, its ok' and hopefully he will stop.

Its a pain and takes effort but you can control this kind of barking if that's what it is.

It sounds bonkers but it works. They are so clever- you can have the most incredible level of dialogue with them. I wouldn't want her not to bark and tell me things but I am glad I have found a way to understand her and reassure her its ok and quieten her down. xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Paulalou

Post by Paulalou » 05 Feb 2016, 17:50

Thank you. When Bobby barks in the garden I now say good boy and he comes running toward me. He knows he will be rewarded with a treat. I don't mind him barking at all but I am very conscious of the neighbours when he's in the garden, especially first thing in the morning.
On another note I tried standing on his lead today.
The jogger was approaching so I stood on Bobby's lead. It worked. He didn't jump at the runner but he did jump at me and managed to escape from his harness. I called him back with the promise of a treat and he came straight to me. Not what we set out with but a positive result anyway.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 05 Feb 2016, 19:35

That's the way to look at it, Paulalou! :D

I use a Halti Training Lead for our doods, they're about twice as long as an ordinary one, comfortable to hold - and give you enough to hold on to even when you're standing on it! They're handy for all sorts of situations, as they have clips at both ends and three rings - giving you options for hands-free, or tethering to pub benches (other types of seating are available! :wink: ) If necessary, you could even attach one end to Bobby's collar and the other to his harness.

If you don't mind saying which part of the country you're in, other members may be able to let you know about Meets in their area. Otherwise, check in the M.E.S.S. (Meet Every Second Sunday) section of this forum. There are lots of Meet Groups in Facebook too, although some are not so easy to find as their names aren't as straightforward... Two near me are the South and West Yorkshire Doodle Meet Group and the East Midlands Doodle Group. There's a group called the Norfolk Doodlers and, I believe, one called the Southern Softies! :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Paulalou

Post by Paulalou » 10 Feb 2016, 09:47

Thanks Anne,
I'll take a look at those leads.
I'm in Durham so if there is anybody out there let me know