New puppy coming home

If you would like to, we invite you to post a short introduction about yourself and your interest in Labradoodles.
Emily doodle

Re: New puppy coming home

Post by Emily doodle » 03 Mar 2016, 21:53

what an eventful day..very peaceful afternoon but emily very lively this evening. Currently fighting with one of my boys school socks. we have introduced her to her crate which she has napped in a few times already.

she is very bouncy jumping up on us and nipping when excited especially the kids. we have been giving her a toy to chew on as a distraction. hope with perseverance this will work.

what is the first thing we should try to teach her and should we start training tomorrow?

When she takes herself to her carte should we praise her or just leave her?

Sorry for all the questions

Gillian and Emily

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 03 Mar 2016, 22:38

You can easily teach her sit, lay down, fetch, roll over, come- she will pick them all up quickly. When she bites you or something that's not hers, tell her no or uh-uh no bite! - firm but not scary. Then give her something of hers and really praise her for biting that.
She has to learn what's hers and yours and how to play with you. She's used to puppies who like to bite each other and she needs to be shown how to play with people.
The best thing I ever taught mine was "calm, settle down".
When she goes in her crate and flops in a heap or when she's just laying quietly, say "good girl- calm- settle down now" and if it doesn't disturb her sometimes just pop a little treat under her nose when you say it. That way when you ask for calm she will know what you calm looks like and flop down in a little heap with a sigh. Hard to believe but it works- not always for puppy crazy times but as she gets older. It is a life saver. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 03 Mar 2016, 22:44

thanks suzi, i will give some of that a try tomorrow. I didnt give her praise today when she was bitting on her toy instead of us. good to know about encouraging good crate behaviour too.

so much to learn. not sure what to expect toinght so off to bed shortly.

gillian and emily

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 03 Mar 2016, 22:48

Hi Gillian and Emily! It all seems a bit crazy at first! A new pup is very full on. They all go particularly crazy in the evenings and that's because of tiredness.
The key to a calmer pup is to be calm around her but that's harder with young children around. And it's all new to Emily at the moment too. You are right to give her a soft toy to distract her from nipping. And try turning your back when she jumps up.
It's early days to think of formal training. These first days are a learning experience for her whatever you do. Just stick to simple things like calling her to you "Emily come"( it's good to always use her name with a command like this, rather than saying her name over and over)
You will be spending a lot of time taking her out for wees( hourly at least!)It's a good idea to get a puppy lead and collar so you can take her out and praise her when she succeeds"Emily wee".
Take a deep breath, and be prepared for a disturbed night. It's best if she's with you upstairs. She will need to go out for a wee, just like a baby she may well not sleep through
Thinking of you. Our Dude howled and cried on his first night but cuddles reassured him. Anny X

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 04 Mar 2016, 08:56

Obviously l don't mean all those training things in the same day- but she will pick them all up. Very short bursts is good. It will tire her out as using her brain is good for exhausting her energy when you can't go for walks for walks need to be very short because of those growing joints.

I agree with the being calm thing. It's natural to be all squeaky and silly with a puppy but I found it made her far more crazy and accelerated the descent into crazy, bitey madness resulting in time outs and too much giddiness.
Speaking softly when she was very young and crazy did prolong play or training time from going and turning into a bitey attack. :shock: :lol:
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 06 Mar 2016, 10:22

Another busy night although emily settled from 1-5. After that she wouldn't settle back in her crate. Any suggestions?

Also really struggling with our three year old. She is not coping with emily nipping and tends to scream/curl up which makes emily worse. We have said for her to say no and turn her back but she is too young to understand...

All good fun bit definitely hard work

gillian and emily

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 06 Mar 2016, 12:05

It's very hard to teach a three year old to turn round and say no to a pup that is nipping her! I personally would remove Emily from your daughter as soon as she starts to nip so the pup cannot get any reaction from her. I found all my teachings with Lulu and nipping only worked with me. She never mouthed me after I taught her not to but it didn't stop her doing it to others. The pup is getting reaction from your daughter so it is much more fun. Remove the reaction and it won't be so much fun for the pup. Or perhaps stand in between the two of them. Or perhaps a short noise to deflect the pup from what she is doing

What an adult can do and what a child can do is so different. I leaned that with my grandsons. Theres Lulu so excited and nippy, a child screeching and me shouting just turn round and say no Pure pandemonium that only added to the nipping. lUlu just loved all the attention. :roll: :lol:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 06 Mar 2016, 12:06

It's very hard to teach a three year old to turn round and say no to a pup that is nipping her! I personally would remove Emily from your daughter as soon as she starts to nip so the pup cannot get any reaction from her. I found all my teachings with Lulu and nipping only worked with me. She never mouthed me after I taught her not to but it didn't stop her doing it to others. The pup is getting reaction from your daughter so it is much more fun. Remove the reaction and it won't be so much fun for the pup. Or perhaps stand in between the two of them. Or perhaps a short noise to deflect the pup from what she is doing

What an adult can do and what a child can do is so different. I leaned that with my grandsons. Theres Lulu so excited and nippy, a child screeching and me shouting just turn round and say no Pure pandemonium that only added to the nipping. lUlu just loved all the attention. :roll: :lol:
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Emily doodle

Post by Emily doodle » 07 Mar 2016, 21:18

Dee, you described it pefect ly especially the bit where you said you screeching turn around and say no lol. That's been our house. Emily just gets more excited....

I think I will try removing her and see if that help. Enrolled her for puppy class at 12 weeks.

Gillian and emily ☺

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 07 Mar 2016, 22:38

My youngest (almost 2) is just the same. She grabs Winnies head, flaps her arms around and puts her face really close to her nipping jaws! We have tried to explain how to stroke her but it doesn't work. My little girl thinks it's a game. We are now limiting their contact to times when Winnie is relaxed and guiding her hand to stroke her gently. I think (hope) it will get easier with time.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Mar 2016, 10:40

re socks, very firm 'no!' and remove and give something else, this must be immediate. Socks are great fun and very appealing because they smell of family - but if you want your children's toys left alone, and not destroyed, yes, even their favourites, the dog must always have anything that is not theirs very firmly removed and replaced with their own toy.

to facilitate this you need a LARGE supply of dog toys so you are replacing with a 'new' toy it has not seen for a while - make sure some away ina cupboard so you can rotate them.

This was hard work for me, but worth it - Lola never touches anything that is ours and only plays with her toys.

It works the other way round too - no child must play with the dog toys unless it is with the dog.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 08 Mar 2016, 11:55

Definitely agree with Liz on this. I did the same, as I said above and Tess also never touches anything of mine. She has two big toy baskets and helps herself to those. She would have destroyed everything when she was a pup but I followed her everywhere and if I couldn't supervise her I made sure she was in her pen, always with something to entertain her- never bored. It is hard work but worth it. X
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx